Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cab Top Not Operating Help!!!!

Just got my car back from the body shop (local dealer authorized) from getting the aero kit installed and on the way home I decided to drop the top and enjoy the great weather out here in LV. HOWEVER.......the top does not go down.

Here is the scenario. Key in ignition, all lights light up including PARK.....then lights go out after check..........Engage parking brake to lower top.......Parking brake engaged (car stops rolling) but PARK does not illuminate on the dash......as well top will not operate. :censored:

Any thoughts before I take it to the dealer? I really don't want to have to go to the dealer for someting that I hope is minor.

Frustrated in Vegas,

Dell

To the best of my knowledge they didn't. But then again, who knows what goes on in the shop :o

I will go check the fuse right now. Could the battery have anything to do with it? (i.e., missed a step of some sort when disconnecting the battery).

Be right back. Thank Loren.

Dell

Good one Don. I never thought of that one even though I do the key trick sometimes. Anyway, in and out of the dealership this afternoon in a couple hours. Result...........just as Loren predicted--the handbrake switch.

Driving Topless,:jump:

Dell

• 9 months later...

Hi all, first of all I love this site! What a great resource!

Second of all, Dell, I am in Las Vegas too, and I am suffering from your exact cab top problem. I had a big relief when I was able to open the top by using my key. However, when I pull the handbrake all the way up, the handbrake light does NOT come on the dash.

I did a search, so is this what is known as the handbrake swith fix? What exactly is that? Is it a fuse or something more involved?

Dell, what did Gaudin Porsche charge you to do this? Is this something I could do myself if I had the part?? I must warn you all I am VERY technically uninclined. :(

Thanks all and a belated Happy New Year to all.

• Admin
Loren or anybody else, any information on this handbrake sensor or the situation as described above?

Thank you all!

Does your hand brake light come on in the intrument cluster when you apply it?

If not then the switch is not functioning and needs to be replaced. To replace the switch you will need to remove (at least partially) the center console.

George, sorry to take so long to get back to you. Just PM or email me in the future since I didn't get an email notification on this thread.

As for the switch, it was covered under warranty so I wouldn't know what they would have charged. However, this would have been a fairly simple DIY since I have already mastered the art of removing the rear center console :)

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!

Cheers,

Dell

• 4 weeks later...

Work has been overwhelming as of late, so I am finally focusing on obtaining the correct switch and getting my cab top "fixed". I have searched Pelican Parts, but coming up short with respect to a Part # for the handbrake micro switch.

Does anybody have this information? I have a 2000 996 C4 cab.

Thanks!

-George

No problem. FYI...I just checked out the warranty write-up for my switch replacement. They indicated 1.5 hours of labor. Very easy to do yourself if you don't feel like paying out that kinda cash for a switch replacment.

No problem.  FYI...I just checked out the warranty write-up for my switch replacement.  They indicated 1.5 hours of labor.  Very easy to do yourself if you don't feel like paying out that kinda cash for a switch replacment.

Replaced mine myself. Under $10 part, and SIMPLE. The only hassle is removing the console, but that is fairly easy as well (just time consuming).

Now this is weird guys........

I ordered and received the part, and was planning an attempt on a DIY for the following weekend. In the meantime, I took my car to the dealer for it's 45K service.

I get the car back last Friday, and when I pulled up the handrake, the parking sensor illuminates on the dash. I made no mention of this during my service trip. The next day, it doesn't work. Somebody told me to pull up and down on it a few times to see if that helps. Well, it did. Now, it works perfectly, WITHOUT replacing the switch. I have tried it 20+ times over the last few days LOL.