Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Judder On Take Off

I have a 99 Boxster that generally drives like it should. Under certain circumstances, like taking off from an incline, I can't ease out the clutch without the car jerking and shuddering. This doesn't happen every time, just on occasions. While I had the car in the shop for a rear wheel bearing replacement, I asked the mechanic about my problem. He laughed and said "those clutches have a funny action, don't they". I didn't know if this meant he wasn't familiar with the cars enough to tell me what was wrong, or if he was serious.

Anyone out there with similar problems? This is the only Boxster I have ever driven, so I can't compare it to another.

You guys should try it with an aluminum flywheel and sport clutch! It's really not as bad as people say it is, but you can can hear some judder under some situations. The stock dual mass flywheel is pretty heavy and there shouldn't be much shudder at all. You may notice some on really hilly areas, since you are from Alabama, you probably have a few of those up there.

Thelion,

Sometimes it even does it in my driveway, which is flat. It sounds like the car is going to stall, or the engine is going to rattle loose. I have had several Porsches and none of them have ever acted like this. All of my 944s had very smooth clutch action. It really feels like something is on the flywheel. The clutch grabs making a smooth takeoff too racy for me. Maybe I should go to a used car lot and drive a few other Boxsters similar in age.

Have your flywheel checked for spec. Last year I purchased a 99 Boxster that exibited some of the same symptoms. Took the car in to dealer and was told by service advisor it was probably the clutch. Ca had 25K miles at that time. Clutch was replaced and flywheel was resurfaced as part of job. Trans. was reassembled and tested by service advisor. Same problem!!! Flywheel was rechecked and found to be out of spec after service. Now new flywheel was installed with new clutch. No more problem. $1250 for new flywheel. Luckily since Trans would need to be dissambled for the flywheel job, I only had to pay for the new clutch parts ~$350, all other labor and parts including the flywheel were covered by warranty. 10K+miles later and still no more problems. Have that flywheel speced. Dual mass flywheels have a history of doing just this.

I have an 01 Boxster S and do not experience this problem unless I'm going too slow and released the clutch too early.

My S just wants to go 0 to 60 really fast every time...;) So I let her have what she wants.

$1250 for a new flywheel is too much, my billet aluminum flywheel (12 lbs) and Sachs sports clutch were $950. It doesn't add horsepower but it does let the power spin the wheels more instead of absorbing the energy to make the engine seem smoother. The engine revs more eagerly and acceleration is better. The flipside is when at idle at a streetlight, it throbs slightly more, but, I think most people would think, hey, it's a sports car anyway.

We are talking factory parts not aftermarket! Unfortunately $1250 is the factory price for a new stock flywheel! It is great that you have a new aftermarket clutch and light flywheel but that isn't the question is it? Maybe I missed something. :huh: ;)

I have had the similar parts in other Porsches but thought we were discussing a stock Boxster with a drivability problem.

Dan, when you say have the dealer check the flywheel for spec, is this something they can do without major work, or is it something they can do with everything intact? Do you know the details of what they do when they check it? My car has around 45K miles. How many did yours have at the time of the work?

I would just like to have as many details as possible before I arrive at their door.

Thanks

Suppposedly there is an inspection plate on the Trans. case that can be removed to check the flywheel. I am not sure about this. Since they thought it was the clutch to start with they had already dropped the trans to do the service.

I believe they can check for thickness and general surface irregularities. I am not sure whether they can check for play at the center section (dual mass) with out removing the trans. Possibly someone with more mechanical technical knowledge of the Boxster specifically can chime in on this...Tool Pants? :help:

The car had ~30K miles when this was done. It was very pronounced at times and other times not so bad. Always seemed worse in reverse in my case.

When they first did the clutch and resurfaced the flywheel I never had the opportunity to drive the car. My service advisor checked the car before I was to pick it up and then let me know that the problem was not fixed by replacing the clutch and resurfacing the flywheel. After the new flywheel was installed everything was back to normal. :clapping:

Hope this helps...

• 6 months later...

Hello,

Can anyone confirm whether the replacement of the dual mass flywheel is covered by the worldwide genuine Porsche 2nd hand warranty (and for me especially in Europe ?) since I cannot find it cleary defined in the terms.

I would appreciate any helpful comment.

Regards to all,

Alfred

Edited by privateselling