Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Power & Memory Seat Upgrade F/00 996 C2

I have a 2000 996 C2 Coupe w/ heated (standard) seats. I have the opportunity to get my hands on a pair of full power seats w/Lumbar & Heat. The passenger seat will plug right in but the drivers seat has the memory unit and I'd like to take full advantage of this. My questions:

1. Can anyone provide me with the schematic for the wiring harness that goes from the seat to the fuse panel, memory buttons, and mirrors? I suppose too, that the harness will need to route over to the buttons in the center of the dash to the heated seat switches.

2. What is (are) the part number(s) for the above harnesses(s)?

3. Any suggestions for where to find the above item(s) new? My local dealer says that they won't sell me anything like a wiring harness that my VIN number won't collaborate. I will also try the dismantlers but I'd like to get this new.

4. I have also considered that, because I still have a couple of years of warranty left, that I might want to go a safer route (at this time) by installing the U.K passengers seat harness in my drivers seat. This would bypass the memory unit but I wouldn't need to install or re-work the wiring harness outlined in item 1 above. Can anyone provide me with the part number for this unit? The unit would include the button assembly (black) on the side of the seat along with the wires and plugs that go to the backrest, seat bottom, lumbar, and main connector to the wiring harness under the seat. I realize too that this would require me to tinker with the various power units under the seat.

5. Finally, I have searched the web over and have not seen anything on this topic other than a couple of folks who wanted to add the heated seat feature to their car. If this topic has been covered elsewhere, can someone provide me with the link(s)? If not and I'm the only guy who ever wanted to do this, am I crazy?

Many thanks in advance.

Glenn

• Admin

Unlike some car makers Porsche creates a main harness based on the build order build specs - this means every car is custom. And, there are very few harness sub-assemblies in the Carrera (or Boxster that matter) -- a seat harness is not an available wiring harness. To do this you will need to create your own additional wiring harness and buy the individual parts. I think it can be done but it will be a lot of work running wires.

I can email you the schematic (about 2MB) if you are serious about doing this.

Folks,

A quick update on this. Yesterday Loren was kind enough to send over the schematics for this (Memory Seat & Mirror, sheet 15). As I hadn't gotten the (car side) wiring harness for the seats, but chomping at the bit to get the seats in and working, I reviewed the schematics for a while, I began to think that I could hook the seat up without worrying about the memory buttons or mirrors for now. I then set up a mock up. I found that if I applied power and ground as indicated (Terminals 30, 31, & 15) the on-seat buttons worked like a champ.

I was then able to rig up a small harness that supplies the memory unit as required with 30 amp and 2 x 7.5 amp power and ground. I was able to plug this "harness" into existing car harness to get the power I need. I also put an in-line 7.5 amp fuse to drop the amps for the two terminals that require it.

After driving around a bit to enjoy this, I went back to work. I was able to quickly rig up a harness to make the memory switch work. However, I'll save the installation of this for another time as it requires the installation of a new inner rocker panel for the button unit. It also requires a run up to the light switch to light it. This gave me another reason to wait another day.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the way this is working out. Hopefully, I get the harness this week, that will facilitate setting this all up properly. However, I believe I'll need new harnesses for the mirrors to get the memory working in them properly.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you want additional detail.

Finally, I love the new seats which are full power w/ Lumbar. They even have the Porsche logo on the head rest. If I had any complaints with the car it was with the old seats. The Frau and I both love the new ones. The lumbar in particular.

Loren, thanks again for sharing the schematic. That was incredibly kind of you.

Glenn

• 1 year later...

Hello Glenn,

I am a 2000 996 c2 cabrio owner in Japan.

My car originally has partial power seats with no heating, lumber, or position memory.

Recently, I had the opportunity to have a pair of full power TT seats with memory.

So I was going to install the seats in my cabrio and searching for how-to information around the Web.

Fortunately, I have been a renntech member and was able to find your post here.

Would you kindly give me any answer to my questions?

1.You wrote;I was able to plug this "harness" into existing car harness to get the power I need.

I think I have to connect 5 wires from CU term 15,30,31 to the car harness. Am I right?

And what car harness did you mean? Did you mean the X16 car connector?

2.Have you finished the installation for the seat position memory and for the mirrors?

Does it work properly?

3.I think there may be some other parts which are needed for the installation.

Would you give me any information about the parts to add (and the Part No.)?

Thanks for reading my poor English.

Any information or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Yoshi

• 3 years later...
  • Admin
Can anyone please help me with this?

In this post the author mentions applying power to terminals 30,31 and 15......can anyone show me what these look like on the memory seat control unit?

Thanks

Matt

Terminals 30, 31, and 15 are:

31 - Ground usually a solid brown wire

30 - Unswitched +12 volts (wire color will depend on model and year of your car)

15 - Switched +12 volts (wire color will depend on model and year of your car)

In this post the author mentions applying power to terminals 30,31 and 15......can anyone show me what these look like on the memory seat control unit?

Thanks

Matt

30 - Unswitched +12 volts (wire color will depend on model and year of your car)

Thanks for that but I am trying to work out which terminals on the control unit (996 618 537 03) need to be connected to the ground, switched and unswitched 12 volts. The terminals have numbers and are labelled but in German

Cheers

Matt

• Admin

Thanks

Matt

Thanks for that but I am trying to work out which terminals on the control unit (996 618 537 03) need to be connected to the ground, switched and unswitched 12 volts. The terminals have numbers and are labelled but in German

Cheers

Matt

Sorry, without model and year of the car I can't help you -- I need to know which schematic to look at...

Thanks

Matt

Cheers

Matt

Sorry, without model and year of the car I can't help you -- I need to know which schematic to look at...

Ahh, ok, 2003 996 turbo.

Thanks

Matt

• Admin

Thanks

Matt

Cheers

Matt

Ahh, ok, 2003 996 turbo.

Thanks

Matt

post-1-1217619992_thumb.png

Thanks

Matt

Cheers

Matt

Ahh, ok, 2003 996 turbo.

Thanks

Matt

post-1-1217619992_thumb.png

Thats amazing, thank you very much!

Matt