Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear spoiler replacement

So I'm thinking about eventually replacing my rear spoiler on my '99 996, especially since no one can figure out why it goes up at 50 and down at 20 instead of the factory settings. Either a GT3/GT2/Turbo replica or maybe something else that looks good. Any opinions on which one looks best (and still performs well, of course) and recommendations on where to get them? Also, for those who have done it either A ) How hard is it to do or B ) How much did it cost to have someone do it for you?

Other than maybe some carbon fiber interior trim and a full clearbra for the front, that's all I have planned for the near future.

Edited by UT_Porsche

So I'm thinking about eventually replacing my rear spoiler on my '99 996, especially since no one can figure out why it goes up at 50 and down at 20 instead of the factory settings. Either a GT3/GT2/Turbo replica or maybe something else that looks good. Any opinions on which one looks best (and still performs well, of course) and recommendations on where to get them? Also, for those who have done it either A ) How hard is it to do or B ) How much did it cost to have someone do it for you?

Other than maybe some carbon fiber interior trim and a full clearbra for the front, that's all I have planned for the near future.

I put on a Strosek rear spoiler with the GT3 aerokit front bumper cover and side skirts. I chose the Strosek spoiler (level one only) because it has the same basic lines of the whale tails of old, but blends nicely with the 996 and has cool-looking air inlets. I just didn't like the other wings that stuck way up in the air.

No matter what you choose, this should not be difficult. Some spoilers require the complete replacement of the trunk lid - those are probably actually the easiest but more costly. Others like the Strosek replacement I performed required only the removal of the automatic wing from the trunk lid and the bolt-in of the replacement wing (original fan stays in place). Either way, it is a DIY. I paid about $1000 for the fiberglass wing, another $600 to get it prepped & painted, and I installed it myself. I'm very happy with the results.

post-8562-1192601182_thumb.jpg

post-8562-1192601190_thumb.jpg

post-8562-1192601196_thumb.jpg

How much were the individual parts and where'd you get it Midlifez? Does it auto go up and down still, or is it just like that? Any more pictures of it and the rest of your car, I really like the look of it, not huge GT3 wing (which looks nice, but isn't for me on a street car) and not one of the whale tails, which isn't to my taste.

I'd like a front lip too, if anyone knows of a company that makes one, that would be great, otherwise I'll have to wait to do the whole front bumper piece. Which again I will likely follow your car again midlifez, it looks very nice.

How much were the individual parts and where'd you get it Midlifez? Does it auto go up and down still, or is it just like that? Any more pictures of it and the rest of your car, I really like the look of it, not huge GT3 wing (which looks nice, but isn't for me on a street car) and not one of the whale tails, which isn't to my taste.

I'd like a front lip too, if anyone knows of a company that makes one, that would be great, otherwise I'll have to wait to do the whole front bumper piece. Which again I will likely follow your car again midlifez, it looks very nice.

The parts costs were:

- Rear TechArt spoiler: $850 from Suncoast These are not listed on their site and normally cost MUCH more than what I paid. The one I got was one that they had installed on a customer car and had some very, very minor cracks. Was able to get repaired for about $100. I chose the rear wing because it was good quality part, great price and like you did not want one that stuck up too high. Overall very pleased.

- $65.00: 3rd brake light/fan wiring from Suncoast

- MKII Side Skirts: $650 from Suncoast Suncoast MKII Skirts Link

- '02 GT3 Front Lip; $221 from Suncoast

The rear spoiler is fixed and basically replaced the entire OEM movable spoiler and mechanism including the grill area. Fitment was perfect. I installed all the parts myself, very, very easy.

Check ebay, search for "Porsche 996", and you will find lots of stuff. Then if you find a spoiler or other body part you like post here and on other P car sites like 6SpeedOnline.com to ask about fitment, etc. Try to go with OEM if you can though they are uber expensive (not that many others are not). Highly suggest urethane as well...

Below are some more pics of my 996, before and after... Since the pictures were taken I have replaced the 3rd brake light with a grey colored one that is lit with LED's. Matches very well, did not like how the red OEM one stuck out like a sore thumb.

996-3.JPG

100_0150m.JPG

100_0151m.JPG

100_0153m.JPG

100_0154m.JPG

100_0155m.JPG

100_0158m.JPG

I got the car with this spoiler already installed, but it's definitely one of my favorites; it's clean, unobtrusive and understated. I'm one of those people who abhors whale tales, and I love anti-whale tale spoilers.

I do have one complaint for it, though: The left side of the spoiler has recently detached from the car. Now, I've tried five different adhesives (silicon, gorilla glue, crazy glue, aircraft epoxy, auto epoxy) and it's come undone every time. I still can't believe aircraft epoxy didn't work. Anyway, the spot I'm gluing is looking worse every time, so I'm over adhesives as a solution.

How do I fix this? It looks like there's a plastic peg that connects the other side (which has fortunately been strong enough at speed for the past couple of months). Thank you in advance.

post-23225-1192850930_thumb.jpg