Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternator Electrical Schematic?

This maybe one for Loren here? Does anyone have the schematic for the alternator detailing relevant connections to outside world and internal componets etc?? I have the electrical drawings in workshop manual form, but cant make out some detail in the 'block' diagram of the alternator? Thanks.

Loren, actually this is all about the same issue i had before with the alternator not charging (for around 10 secs at startup) when the rear gets wet (raining, washing car, whatever). I Thought it was fixed when i had a new alternator but it came back. All other stuff such as belt, tensioner etc etc has been changed. The OPC have discussed with Porsche GB and they are at a loss to what it is. They have suggested i may have 'bad weld joints' in the engine wiring loom which is why i asked about the alternator. But why would this happen when something get wet?? Should it be there all the time?

Any more info on the routing of the output of the alternator and where it goes to would be appreciated. Thanks.

It doesnt appear the alternator gets wet, but various areas on and around the engine does. I'm trying to find out what does actually get wet. Its difficult to just pop the lid to look as the water pours down from the outside surface of the car and spills in there when you do that, 'contaminating' the evidence. I thought about putting news paper on the top of the engine and soaking the lid with a hose pipe (same effect as raining) but still in the same boat when i open the lid. Maybe i dry the lid off well first and try that???

Where is the location of this connector you talk about? Is it obvious?? Could it be a bad ground to the alternator?? Its just odd that it only happens when the rear end gets wet, so to me a short, but voltage on battery seems ok (apart from no charge for a short time). As i say, this has Porsche stumped (mind not always that difficult) but would love to find the issue then say, there you go!!

• 2 months later...
When it rains... does the alternator get wet?

Do other parts of the engine compartment get wet?

I would certainly also check the 8 plug socket on the engine (current distribution) - since all the current distribution goes through there.

Where is this socket located and which pins are used for testing for alt output?

• Admin

I would certainly also check the 8 plug socket on the engine (current distribution) - since all the current distribution goes through there.

Where is this socket located and which pins are used for testing for alt output?

Try following the wires back from the alternator.

Try following the wires back from the alternator.

As you can see it is out of the question, do the alt wires run through the big round main eng connector?

post-4095-1199062069_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

mother

The + cable is situated in the small + box on the right side next the throttle body, the small cable coming from the dash is in the two major connectors on the right side of the engine room. There is no ground cable screwed on the alternator.

mother

The + cable is situated in the small + box on the right side next the throttle body, the small cable coming from the dash is in the two major connectors on the right side of the engine room. There is no ground cable screwed on the alternator.

The one in the little box is for the engine starter I thought?

• Moderators

The circuit routing is, alternator - starting motor - box. In other worths the alternator + wire is connected with the starter + wire on the starter input.

• Moderators
Where is this "FUSE" and Distributor located on the car? This seems to be an easy voltage check without removing the Alternator.

Whe never build the alternator out for a VOLTAGE check.