Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Winter Tires - Opinions

Hi guys,

I am choosing the winter tires for my 986 with 16'' wheels and my options seems very limited. I had settled on the Dunlop M3s, but apparently Dunlop no longer carries the 205/55/16 size, accordingly to a TireRack representative. The choices I now have at tire rack are all 'low performance' ice and snow tires, namely: Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60, Dunlop Graspic DS-2 and Michelin X-Ice.

I also came across to what seems to be very nice specs on Hankook tires and very good value, but I am not sure if anyone has had experience with these - DiscountTires. Please, note these are rated V and match perfectly the factory specs....

I am hesitant, since I have never thought of Hankooks as an option for my cars before, but again I have never owned dedicated winter tires.

Any opinion would be helpful,

Thanks,

Gustavo

Edited by gandrade1

Hi guys,

I am choosing the winter tires for my 986 with 16'' wheels and my options seems very limited. I had settled on the Dunlop M3s, but apparently Dunlop no longer carries the 205/55/16 size, accordingly to a TireRack representative. The choices I now have at tire rack are all 'low performance' ice and snow tires, namely: Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60, Dunlop Graspic DS-2 and Michelin X-Ice.

I also came across to what seems to be very nice specs on Hankook tires and very good value, but I am not sure if anyone has had experience with these - DiscountTires. Please, note these are rated V and match perfectly the factory specs....

I am hesitant, since I have never thought of Hankooks as an option for my cars before, but again I have never owned dedicated winter tires.

Any opinion would be helpful,

Thanks,

Gustavo

Gustavo:

If you are looking a for a good all-season tire (i.e., not necessarily a winter ice and snow tire), check out Falken Ziex ZE-912 tires. I bought mine about two weeks ago at Discount Tire Zone. http://www.discounttirezone.com/Falken-Zie...12_c_336-1.html

This link shows that Falken makes the 205/55-16 size and DTZ sells them for $74 each.

They arrived in two days, even though I chose the least expensive form of shipping. My experience so far is limited to the two weeks I have been driving around on them. They are relatively quiet, and they are excellent in the wet. So far, no snow or ice here on Long Island (hope it stays that way) but I don't plan on doing much driving in snow or ice anyway. Also, a good value for the money.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice,

I will check these out...I was however thinking about dedicated winter tires rather than all-season ones. I don't want to go all the way to the pure snow ones, because of the poor handling in dry conditions and noise...

Thanks,

Gustavo

Edited by gandrade1

Thanks Maurice,

I will check these out...I was however thinking about dedicated winter tires rather than all-season ones. I don't want to go all the way to the pure snow ones, because of the poor handling in dry conditions and noise...

Thanks,

Gustavo

Gustavo:

I meant that you can use the Falken All-Season tires for the winter, whenever the temperature falls below 45 to 50 degrees. Below 45 degrees, summer tires are dangerous. In the early spring, go back to your favorite summer high performance tires.

When the weather gets warm enough again in NY, I go back to the summer tires (currently Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs, but may try Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions next). The most hassle-free way to do this (and to not delay switching over) is to have two sets of rims. One for all season and one for summers. Saves $$ and wear and tear from the installers beating up the rims.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Gustavo:

I meant that you can use the Falken All-Season tires for the winter, whenever the temperature falls below 45 to 50 degrees. Below 45 degrees, summer tires are dangerous. In the early spring, go back to your favorite summer high performance tires.

When the weather gets warm enough again in NY, I go back to the summer tires (currently Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs, but may try Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions next). The most hassle-free way to do this (and to not delay switching over) is to have two sets of rims. One for all season and one for summers. Saves $$ and wear and tear from the installers beating up the rims.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks, Maurice.

I actually purchased the set of OEM 16's with the intent to use it for the winter only. For the summer I have a set of 18 Carrera Wheels, with ContiSports but also want to try the Pole Positions next.

Regarding the winter set. I have done some reasearch on the Hankooks and they seem fairly positive, but I have not yet heard from any Porsche owner who has had those.

Hopefully, I will hear soon. Otherwise I will be the first one to issue an opinion.

Thanks,

Gustavo

i got kumho exsta asx, all seasons, and my GFs brother uses them as his winter tires on his stang, with about 5-6 seasons on them, still fine and no getting stuck either.

and to be honest, they are very cheap and handle really good on dry, i love them. i use them all year round. i got them for my 18s, but for 16s they will probably be cheap too, er cheaper

Not entirely realevent but I have heard good things about hankooks. I have a friend that swears by them (doesn't drive a porsche, but he does like to drive fast, so that's something), and also consumer reports placed the Hankook Icebears in their top three for winter tires.

Just my 2 cents

J

Not entirely realevent but I have heard good things about hankooks. I have a friend that swears by them (doesn't drive a porsche, but he does like to drive fast, so that's something), and also consumer reports placed the Hankook Icebears in their top three for winter tires.

Just my 2 cents

J

Thanks J,

Very helpful.

Gustavo

Grab a quick copy of the November Consumer Reports

Hancock rates a 50 where the top rated all season rates an 85. But look at the article because there are reasonably priced tires that have characteristics that are different from other similarly numerically rated tires. The key is matching the tires strengths to your needs and seeing if you can live with its weaknesses. Every tire is a compromise. There is no perfect tire.

Grab a quick copy of the November Consumer Reports

Hancock rates a 50 where the top rated all season rates an 85. But look at the article because there are reasonably priced tires that have characteristics that are different from other similarly numerically rated tires. The key is matching the tires strengths to your needs and seeing if you can live with its weaknesses. Every tire is a compromise. There is no perfect tire.

Thanks, Mike.

I bought the magazine...While the article is really helpful it does not post a ranking for Winter Tires. Do you think there is a huge difference in the winter capabilities of All-Season and dedicated winter tires...

I am looking for something that will allow for reasonable snow traction...but I wont be driving in heavy snow or unplowed roads and I don't want to sacrifice dry cornering or stability much...

Thanks,

Gustavo

What you want is impossible to achieve IMHO

You want dry handling, good wear and winter tire traction. But the best winter tires are not good wearing nor do they give handling even approaching the summer tires your car came with. Remember the perfect tire can't be made, they are all compromises.

So to my mind you have several choices.

1. Winter tires on a set of wheels (but Boxster wheels are in short supply right now as everyone wants em, better to buy in the spring. Best in winter but do you want them on in summer?

2. All weather tires on your one set of rims which give you not the best handling and not the best winter snow/ice performance but good enough.

3. If your current tires are about shot, get winter tires now and look to buy a set of summer tires and rims in the spring....or when ever you see some at a good price. I bought a perfect set of 17" rims and Michelin Rib summer tires used from a dealer who had them because some rich guy wanted different rims and tires and he took them in trade. They were used but probably not but for 500 miles. Cost me $850 in Philly. Found via eBay. But look on www.craigslist.com too.

4. If your current tires are great but summer (don't drive with them below 45 degrees) you can get winters now and put your current tires on a new set of rims (maybe fancy ones) but that means the cost of 2 installs.

5. Buy a beater and make that your winter car. Store the Boxster and don't winterize it.

Some further thoughts on the Boxster as a winter car Here

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link - its great stuff....

I already bought a set of 16'' to install the winter (or all season) tires on. I am now trying to decide between all weather and snow tires. The intended message of my comments above (apparently not very clear - sorry) is - I am willing to sacrifice snow traction to get a better dry handling and thats why I am considering All seasons over winter tires. I am not going to drive the car on unplowned roads or under heavy snow...

So I am researching to see how efficiently the all season can deal with light snow and ice...FAIR winter capabilities is enough for me, but I defonetly want a safe ride on dry (but cold) conditions.

Thanks,

Gustavo

Edited by gandrade1

I think you have in the article your answer

It depends on which all season tire you are talking about what it's strengths are and what it gives up to get them.

The only A/S tires to get a Very Good in dry handling gets only fair or good on snow and ice. Ask for very good A/S in snow and ice, you get only a good at best in dry and wet handling.

Since these are dedicated winter rims/tires and will not be used in the spring thru fall, you may want to emphasize the ice and snow and be willing to give up the dry handling. It all depends on your weather.

If you are really going to have to depend on these tires to get you through bad weather, then winter ones known good on ice and snow and heck with the dry handling. If you are willing to give up on the worst days and have another way to get to work (a buddy with a SUV, for example), then A/S will help if you get caught.

And we all can't wait till spring when the summer tires go on and the top comes down.

I just skimmed the other posts, but Hankooks are the tires police, etc. use.

I actually got all four of my snow tires on eBay for $430 shipped, check out eBay you might be able to find a good deal.

I went with dedicated snows because I plan on driving up to the ski resort, but if you aren't planning on that all seasons should be fine.

Also, search 1010tires.com for reviews.

Thanks guys for all the input....

Based on the reviews I found on Consumer Reports I actually settled for the A/S Continental ContiExtremeContact. Accordingly to the review they score in snow and ice handling as well as the control (snow) tires they used. As a trade off the handling in dry conditions is only good, which is ok for me during this months anyway. I got them installed last Saturday, high speed balancing and new valves included - $470 at Mavis Tires. Additionally, these score well at TireRack, which seems a pretty reliable feedback considered how many miles the reviews are based on. They feel OK but a little on the softy side though.

I will let you guys know as I go through the winter.

Thanks again :renntech:

Gustavo