Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front License Frame mounting

Hey guys. Great forum --- tons of truly amazing information...and no drama.

Quick question:

I had a buddy in Germany ship me a couple plates and frames to mount on the front of my 03 Box S. I live in an area where we are not required to have front state plates on our cars. So, I have the front mount "holes" in my bumper, but apparently no inserts or screw holders inside as the supplied about 1" screws for the frame just kinda fall into the holes in the bumper. Any suggestions, are there inserts for this purpose or does the bumper need to be pulled? Any advice or insight would be truly appreciated. If I need part numbers then please advise likewise if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

:D

:welcome:

Do you wan the license plates mounts (if so, US or RoW) or... do you want BumperPlugs like this...

post-1-1195018413_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply, Loren. No not bumperplugs, I want to mount the german plates on my 03 Box S.

I got a set of German plates with plastic black dealer frames but all I have is the standard "square" looking holes in my bumper.

When trying to mount the frames to the car, it seems that I don't have any screw inserts in the square holes, either that or I need different mounting screws.

(holes feel empty in bumper) if that makes more sense.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm not sure how it is on an 03, but it should be the same as my 00 Boxster S. The stock license plate frame has square sections that match the square holes in the bumper. When you install the plate frame you put a screw through each of these sections and they expand out and "fill" in the holes in the bumper, giving you a somewhat solid mount. It's exactly the same concept as the expanding plastic plugs used to mount screws into drywall.

So, without an expanding plug/mount like that, yeah you're going to have some trouble mounting the German plate. My advice... well you can go to a hardware store and try to find something similar. Again, maybe something like the drywall screw plugs.

Personally I think the standard design is pretty poor. It depends on a friction fit that just isn't that tight. I've had my front license plate just fall off when installing a bra or cleaning the car. I was worried that it'd fall off someday just by hitting a pot hole! I ended up going to the extreme then. I removed the front bumper and just bolted the thing straight to the bumper using standard bolts, nuts, and washers. It's really not that hard to get the front bumper off. So if you want to do it right I'd recommend going this route. My license plate won't fall off now, even in a hurricane! :D

Edited by Bristol

• Admin
:welcome:

Do you wan the license plates mounts (if so, US or RoW) or... do you want BumperPlugs like this...

post-1-1195018413_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply, Loren. No not bumperplugs, I want to mount the german plates on my 03 Box S.

I got a set of German plates with plastic black dealer frames but all I have is the standard "square" looking holes in my bumper.

When trying to mount the frames to the car, it seems that I don't have any screw inserts in the square holes, either that or I need different mounting screws.

(holes feel empty in bumper) if that makes more sense.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Here is the parts list for a MY03 front bumper (it shows both RoW and US license mounts). You can pick the parts you are missing.

my03_front_bumper.pdf

You should be able to find the expanding nylon/plastic license plate anchor nuts at any auto parts store. My stock bracket became loose and the holes in the bumper cover were enlarged so I found some slightly larger generic square license plate nuts at Pep Boys. I ended up ditching the entire stock bracket and mounting My plate directly to the bumper by drilling new holes in my plate. This located the plate lower and more flush to the bumper.

Aron in Toronto

Thanks, aron. Can you post a pic of your mounting location and finished look? I might think that finding square mounting inserts for license plate holders here in the US might be slightly harder to obtain, but I will check PepBoys or AutoZone today....It is Friday so I actually drove my Box to work. :D

Thanks.

Andy

Edited by Meerzee

Another option is to go ahead and use bigger screws in the original expanding squares.

You should be able to find the expanding nylon/plastic license plate anchor nuts at any auto parts store. My stock bracket became loose and the holes in the bumper cover were enlarged so I found some slightly larger generic square license plate nuts at Pep Boys. I ended up ditching the entire stock bracket and mounting My plate directly to the bumper by drilling new holes in my plate. This located the plate lower and more flush to the bumper.

Aron in Toronto

Andy,

I don't have any photos of my plate mounting, but its pretty straight forward. I used the existing square holes in the bumper cover, and drilled new holes in the license plate that align with the holes in the bumper. The original plate bracket that I no longer use holds the plate about an inch off the bumper and now my plate is practically flush (~1/8"). I also put a slight bend in my plate so that it follows the contour of the bumper. I also found out the hard way that if someone backs into your front bumper while parking, they will push the stock plate bracket and its screws into your bumper marring its finish.

The change is relatively small compared to using the bracket. The plate ends up being maybe 1.5" lower and 3/4" closer to the bumper. Not quite sure how this would look w/ a wider European style plate though.

Best of luck, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Aron in Toronto

• 2 weeks later...

Try 1 of these German Euro plate/ frame kit from Ebay!

post-23680-1196468048_thumb.jpg

Quick question:

I had a buddy in Germany ship me a couple plates and frames to mount on the front of my 03 Box S. I live in an area where we are not required to have front state plates on our cars. So, I have the front mount "holes" in my bumper, but apparently no inserts or screw holders inside as the supplied about 1" screws for the frame just kinda fall into the holes in the bumper. Any suggestions, are there inserts for this purpose or does the bumper need to be pulled? Any advice or insight would be truly appreciated. If I need part numbers then please advise likewise if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Try 1 of these German Euro plate/ frame kit from Ebay!

post-23680-1196468048_thumb.jpg

Quick question:

Thanks in advance!

I bought a kit with a genuine dealer Stuttgart frame, but I am still missing the square inserts for the frame mounting on the car. I haven't had time to go shopping around, but it isn't that important....

I will try to do it this month sometime... :D