Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuel Mapping - OBD2 to ROW DME

I have read several posts that recommend the ROW DME program over the OBD2 and even over aftermarket chips. What does it take to reprogram the DME? Would the dealer be willing to do this, or do I have to look for an independent shop? I am considering headers and cat bypass pipes and need a fuel map that would make the mixture just a bit richer and a way to get rid of the secondary O2 CEL. It seems that the ROW DME can do both, but is it reversible? Could one of you fortunate fellows who have a PST2/PIWIS post a few screen shots and some direction so I can educate the dealer if I have to. Also, could anyone point me to someone who can do the reprogramming in Miami/South Florida.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, a dealer or any shop with a PST or PIWIS can do it. It is more of a question of "if" they will.

Liability issues and perhaps a waiver if you cause any engine/cat damage.

And, yes it is reversible.

Thank you Loren. Do you know if it takes a long time? What is a reasonable $ to pay for this?

I would think no more than 1 hour of labor - it should only take a few minutes.

Could anyone give me the steps involved in the reprogramming? I just scheduled an appointment with the dealer, but they didn't really sound like they have done this before. I am sure that if I can give them a few pointers they will be able to figure it out, so all the help you can give me will be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance:)

I would think no more than 1 hour of labor - it should only take a few minutes.

Could anyone give me the steps involved in the reprogramming? I just scheduled an appointment with the dealer, but they didn't really sound like they have done this before. I am sure that if I can give them a few pointers they will be able to figure it out, so all the help you can give me will be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance:)

The procedure is in the factory manual. They should be able to do it easily. The process differs depending on the year of your car (whether it is 5.2.2, 7.2 or 7.8)

Todd

• Admin
Does the factory give out the 6-digit hex DME programming code

associated with your VIN w/o a "good" reason?

Bill

I think you only need that for keys or alarms not DME programming.

If you can provided proof of ownership there is no reason they should not supply you with it.

For the older systems you need both the immobilizer and dme codes for dme programming, for the newer (7.8) versions if you are just remapping and not reprogramming you only need the dme code. Some dealers are better at providing the info than others. According to the dealer I deal with, Porsche has mandated stricter controls on the release of the info. My feeling is that it is your car, and you have the right to have the codes.

Todd

Does the factory give out the 6-digit hex DME programming code

associated with your VIN w/o a "good" reason?

Bill

I think you only need that for keys or alarms not DME programming.

If you can provided proof of ownership there is no reason they should not supply you with it.

For the older systems you need both the immobilizer and dme codes for dme programming, for the newer (7.8) versions if you are just remapping and not reprogramming you only need the dme code. Some dealers are better at providing the info than others. According to the dealer I deal with, Porsche has mandated stricter controls on the release of the info. My feeling is that it is your car, and you have the right to have the codes.

Todd

Yes, but their feeling probably is that it's a violation of Federal laws to

reprogram any aspect of the DME w/o all your ducks lined up in a row.

One of the TSBs includes some number of the DME codes, which appear

to me to follow some sort of pattern. So I think they might be generated

from an algorithm other than just a random number. I wonder if they

are generated from the VIN?

Bill

I have read several posts that recommend the ROW DME program over the OBD2 and even over aftermarket chips. What does it take to reprogram the DME? Would the dealer be willing to do this, or do I have to look for an independent shop? I am considering headers and cat bypass pipes and need a fuel map that would make the mixture just a bit richer and a way to get rid of the secondary O2 CEL. It seems that the ROW DME can do both, but is it reversible? Could one of you fortunate fellows who have a PST2/PIWIS post a few screen shots and some direction so I can educate the dealer if I have to. Also, could anyone point me to someone who can do the reprogramming in Miami/South Florida.

Thank you in advance.

I strongly advise you against the Cat bypass pipes. You will hate them. Enormous resonance and loss of low end torque. The sound is really obnoxious. I bought mine from Fabspeed and returned them. Try to drive a car with Cat bypass pipes and make up your own mind.

Phillipj