Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3M Protective Film (Clear Car Bra)

I stumbled across an installation video on the web for applying a 3M protective film to a 987 bumper and thought it looked a good idea. Since then I have convinced myself to apply it to mine before it gets chipped. I know there are installers out there but I am very keen to try this myself, but typically I cannot find the vid now :angry:. Has anyone come across it? If so please please please send the link to the site to save me tearing out what little hair I have left :)

Not seen this video, would also be interested to see the link. I have seen some pictures of an install on a cayman front bumper over on cayman .net. , basically the same bumper. I purchased a film kit a few months back , but haven't got round to re installing to the front bumper yet. The boxster bumper is probably the most difficult to fit according to those in the trade, so unless you are very patient or have some experience , be prepared for a somewhat frustrating experience. I did the mirror backs first on my car and it taught me a lot about what the film can be made to do. I also got a demo video of an install with the film when i ordered it , but as usual it all looks so easy. I did try to fit the film but after 8 hours I was exhausted and had only done 1 side and the film was starting to loose its tack due to multiple applications and resetting. In the end I had to admit defeat and remove the film , and order another section. I now have a second template , so hopefullty will install after the bumper has been repainted , unfortunately it picked up some stonechips between my first attempt and the new film arriving.

The most difficult part for me was getting rid of the fingers as they are called on the lower section of the bumper under the intakes. Stretching the film would have resulted in the cut outs being well away from the intakes and reducing the protection. I know Popolou has fitted the film to his car with good results , he obviously has a knack !

Edited by berty987

• Moderators

I will give you an idea in labour time to do this : front bumper - L. and R. mirror - front part L. and R. front fender - part of the hood, two men ( one professional + one helper ) approx. 9 hours.

I will give you an idea in labour time to do this : front bumper - L. and R. mirror - front part L. and R. front fender - part of the hood, two men ( one professional + one helper ) approx. 9 hours.

I was thinking about having a clear bra installed on my 911, but have seen a couple where the edges have a distinct white film or non-clear look to them around the edges. What causes this, and can it be prevented?

Edited by raloise

I was thinking about having a clear bra installed on my 911, but have seen a couple where the edges have a distinct white film or non-clear look to them around the edges. What causes this, and can it be prevented?

WAX!

• 2 months later...

I just had my 05 boxster done on thursday. It was a 5 hour install. There is absolutely no way I could have done the install myself. The installers really had a hard time where the bumper turns in towards the headlight lenses. Also the lower lip was alot of fun. It is an art form to stretch and twist a straight precut film onto all the compound curves of our bumper.

That said, it was a great $550 investment vs. $300 myself with a ton of mistakes.

The white line between the film and the bare paint is due to wax buildup at the seam. Supposedly if you are careful waxing, no problem. If not, a tooth brush with some rubbing alcohol is supposed to dissolve the wax build up.