Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

60,000 mile service

• 1 year later...

Well I for one am gonna pay the cheese and take it to the dealer. Sewickley Car Store in Pittsburgh Pa. I like the service manager and trust their opinions. I'm going to do my 60k service sooner than recommended just to avoid troubles. Mainly because I only put a few thousand miles a year on it. So its 9 years old with only 53k. But I'm concerned about the poly rib belt plus I have a sparkplug seal starting to leak.

Had a bad experiance servicing my Acura RL with a local guy. Did the timing belt along with all the hoses and fluids early for the same reasons. Got it back and the whole engine was vibrating a little more than it should. Turned out the harmonic bal. was mispositioned. Got it back after that and several hose were not conected. I don't believe a dealer mech. would have made these simple mistakes because they work on that same type of car day in day out. By the way just to have peace of mind I ended up going to the dealer to have all that work rechecked. Could have spent less just going to the dealer. Not to mention trying after market brake parts that did not hold up and had to redue early. Could have saved just using OEM parts.

So I'm going to apply this to my 2001 Boxster. Dealers only, OEM parts only, and Porsche mech. only.....

Plus I've read that if you do have issues after warrenty is expired there is a better chance Porsche will help if all service was done at a dealer. So I consider it an insurance policy.

Now saying this isn't easy not being rich and perfectly capable of doing most any car repairs myself, it's just that it's a Porsche and I want it to be perfect. But than again I like my dealership.