Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

60,000 mile service

Getting close to the 60k mile mark and have learned that the local dealer charges 'around $1,600.' Two local indie shop each quoted 'around $1,400.'

Fellow PCA members have opined that Las Vegas is more expensive for Porsche parts and service so I'm wondering if other renntech members have paid similiar fees for a 60k service in other parts of the US.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow that’s high. I paid $800 for the 60K maintenance but that was with deleting the air filter and pollen filter. IMO the most important part of the 60K maintenance is changing the spark plugs. Changing the plug is the most difficult and time consuming part. Other than the air filter and pollen filter, which just about anyone can do, the plugs are the only other part that is changed; the rest is inspection. And if they find anything that needs to be replace or repaired it will cost extra.

Getting close to the 60k mile mark and have learned that the local dealer charges 'around $1,600.' Two local indie shop each quoted 'around $1,400.'

Fellow PCA members have opined that Las Vegas is more expensive for Porsche parts and service so I'm wondering if other renntech members have paid similiar fees for a 60k service in other parts of the US.

Thanks for sharing.

My local dealer quoted about $1,200 for the 60k. Since I had not had the car very long prior to the 60k checkup, I used the dealer to ensure the car got a good look over. I wound up paying about $1,700 for the 60k and a few other add ons like the transmission fluid change. I thought the charges were a little high, but I guess I got what I was looking for.

Will

Why not look for an independent shop that specilizes in BMW, Porsche etc. Get the list of what is required for the 60K and have him use it. Bet you will find the price drop significantly. Better yet get the list, do most of it yourself, and only have the specialty shop change the plugs etc.

The Porsche dealership here gets $135 hr, while a very reputable specialty shop gets half that.

I agree with orientexpress.... Go to the DIY section and do all or most yourself.

It took me half the day to do my 60K mile tune up.

engine oil, trans oil, front diff (C4), spark plugs, belt, pollen filter, clean TB, and clean engine compartment.

It was pretty easy. I can't believe they charge that much for that kind of work....well it is a Porsche.

A couple of these tune ups chould cover my mortgage :lol:

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

I would very much like to do the work myself.

My main concern: during a recent visit to the dealership, the service tech infered that my warranty may be void if I don't have the major maintainance work done by a 'certified Porcsche service technician.' Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? Can I do the work myself and still expect that my warranty will be intact if I save the receipts?

An additional concern is that I may miss something in inspecting lines, hoses, joints etc that an experienced tech would easily catch before it became an issue.

Any thought or further advice?

• 1 month later...
My 60k cost $1300, and included replacing a leaking heater valve. I live in Orange County and had the work done in Newport Beach by an independent. I was very satisfied with their work.

KBull88 what's the name of the shop where you had your car worked on I'm looking for a place in that area.

I agree Lee. Changing out the belt, filters, oil change, spark plugs, etc can be performed by the average joe with the proper tools. When my time comes for the 60k (or in my case the 30k) I will have an Indie do the inspections just to get another set of eyes on the car and it anything else is wrong they should be able to spot it. It shouldn't be that much for the inspections.

I agree Lee. Changing out the belt, filters, oil change, spark plugs, etc can be performed by the average joe with the proper tools. When my time comes for the 60k (or in my case the 30k) I will have an Indie do the inspections just to get another set of eyes on the car and it anything else is wrong they should be able to spot it. It shouldn't be that much for the inspections.

I just did the 60,000 mile and it was relatively easy. Time consuming because I had not worked on a Porsche and getting the plugs changed took time. It is not difficult but getting at the bolts can be difficult until you find the right combination of extensions etc. Probably the most important tool that I needed was a 5 MM allen socket that fits a 1/4 in drive. The 3/8 drive which is common can only be used for some of the cap screws. During my service I found a leaking seal which is my next challenge.

If you have worked on other vehicles, read the DIY section and look at the vehicle and you'll see it is not rocket science. It is removal and replacement.

• 2 months later...

The local dealer is charging $250 just to do the inspections for the 30k check-up. I have already done the oil change, filter change, and pollen change-out. Do you think this is reasonable?

I did the 60k in a local shop of Mission Viejo as they came recommended by a local exotics dealer. They only charged me $700.

You get what you pay for: Oil levels were lower than desired, my CEL came on after that and I had a MAF prob. Coincidence? I took the car to the Newport Porsche dealer, which found out that the other guys had put a K&N filter among other things. I know that there is an ongoing debate regarding the relationship between aftermarket filters and MAF problems.... my bottom line is that I DID NOT expect the shop to put an aftermarket anything without my approval. My guess is that they had laying it around.

Thus now, Newport Porsche it is. Expensive, yes. I like the local guy, Dennis, yes. The car works great, yes. I would like to find a cheaper place, but it would have to be much cheaper; otherwise I'd stick with the dealer.

My 60k cost $1300, and included replacing a leaking heater valve. I live in Orange County and had the work done in Newport Beach by an independent. I was very satisfied with their work.

can I ask you for the independent's info? PM or here? Thanks :D

The local dealer is charging $250 just to do the inspections for the 30k check-up. I have already done the oil change, filter change, and pollen change-out. Do you think this is reasonable?

No.

Loren - what is your suggestion regarding the 30k check-up? Most of the Ind. dealers will not do the check-ups only. I just want someone else to look over the car besides myself. (I live in Houston).

Looking through this list, most of the steps seem easy enough to complete at home. The only one that's throwing me off is "Throttle actuation: Check smooth operation, check full throttle position with the Tester "

Is this tester something that's easily available? Or is it a specialty tool?

• Admin
Looking through this list, most of the steps seem easy enough to complete at home. The only one that's throwing me off is "Throttle actuation: Check smooth operation, check full throttle position with the Tester "

Is this tester something that's easily available? Or is it a specialty tool?

The Durametric software can read the actual value for the throttle position - so that is the least expensive option.

Of course a PST2 or PIWIS can also read this.

post-1-1207102450_thumb.png post-1-1207102461_thumb.png