Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing AOS from the intake tract trip CEL?

Something popped in my mind when I started to notice some smoke every morning, I'm hoping its merely due to the engine design but...

If it is the AOS, can this simply be re-routed and put in a catch can? I figure I can plug the part of the intake manifold as this was what I used to do when I was modifying imports. I know many cars pull this off without tripping the CEL, but those cars were all non e-gas, so has anyone here tried this before? TIA

I dont think it would cause i seen in the past that done to a highly modified boxster and the car didnt throw out any CEL pcodes so you should be fine but keep in mind you wont have anything to suck out the gases that the heated oil produce which will reduce the life of the oil

• Admin

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the AOS.

Per Porsche's 1999 Tech Book:

"Since there is no drop between the cylinder heads and oil

sump in a Boxer engine, the oil is drawn out of each of the cylinder heads by an oil return pump.

Oil Separator

The oil drawn off via the return pumps is fed into "swirl pots". In these containers, the oil is centrifuged and defoamed, i.e. gases which the oil has picked up on the way to the lubricating points are removed. This ensures that the oil always has a good consistency which is necessary to guarantee the reliability of the hydraulic valve clearance compensation. Gases could bring about changes in the engine timing which would have an effect on the performance and exhaust-emission behavior of the engine."