Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Retro Fit: Oil TEMP Guage

Has anyone out there ever done this?

I think it may be a good idea as I live in a mountainous area and sometimes feel even after the engine has reached normal operating WATER temp (82C?), that the engine is still cold. I refer particularly to what BMW do with the M5's rev counter/oil temp indicator bars etc.....

In short, I would rather know if the engine needs a bit more casual driving before I boot it esp at this time of year/first thing in the morning.

Don't forget, the 82C that you state to be "normal" is, in fact, incorrect. The thermostat on your engine is 83C and the computer targets the coolant temp to be aropund 90C. As a matter of fact, many sensors will not report accurate faults if engine temp is below 90C. In the real world, although it can be corrected with the appropriate mods, your engine temperature is closer to 94C in best of conditions, other than highway driving. Often, your engine temperature will reach in excess of 100C.

With a properly functioning oil cooler, your oil temps are directly related to your coolant temperature. Properly manage your coolant temps and your oil temps will be fine.

• Moderators

After several test done with separate water and separate oil temp. meters for all water cooled boxer and V-8 Porsche engines under normal driving conditions and approx. 20° C outside temp., i have observed that you reach the working temp. of the coolant after approx. 5 Km and 10 Km for the oil, started with a cold engine and Revs. between 3.000 and 4.000 RPM. in spite of the water - oil exchanger. Believed or not.

After several test done with separate water and separate oil temp. meters for all water cooled boxer and V-8 Porsche engines under normal driving conditions and approx. 20° C outside temp., i have observed that you reach the working temp. of the coolant after approx. 5 Km and 10 Km for the oil, started with a cold engine and Revs. between 3.000 and 4.000 RPM. in spite of the water - oil exchanger. Believed or not.

I was refering to an engine that was already up to full operating temperature. Once fully warmed, the oil temperature will very closely mirror the percentage change in coolant temperature. Without a water cooled oil cooler, oil tempertures will spike much higher than the coolant during heavy engine loads.

In most cases, the 996 engine takes considerably longer than 5 km to reach its target temperature of 90C.

Edited by 1999Porsche911