Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken Sun Visor Cover/Flap

Folks - just got my car back from the garage and opened up the sun visor on the passenger side and bits fell out and the cover (which you lift to reveal the mirror and make the two lights come on just fell out with a nice broken lump of plastic.

So question is - how many pieces does this come in - I have the cover, the inner piece with the mirror and lights and then the back plate with the bulbs and electrics and finally the soft leather covered visor.

As far as I can see it's only the cover that's broken - views on whether this part is available?

Photos attached

post-643-1197215923_thumb.jpg

post-643-1197215951_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I just wanted to add a note to this post that if only the plastic flap hinges are broken, you can buy the much cheaper Boxster non-illuminated part for $20 (Suncoast: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/euromirrornon.html?Category_Code=986trimupgrades).

The plastic flap is the same (item 13 in Loren's pic), and has the light actuator.

Simply remove the spring clips with fine nose pliers from the new assembly, and snap the flap in place in the lighted assembly. No need to remove from car.

Note:

1) Make sure that the switch actuator is behind the switch spring and not under it!

2) Slot one side in first, the flex the flap as much as possible to snap in place. Make sure you don't break the plastic pins!

Simon

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Swynnn97,

Do you mean the flap in item 11 in Loren's pic? Item 13 is the mirror, not the housing.

Has anyone followed up and tried this? I have the exact same problem in my 02' 911 C4S w/ black interior, and only need the plastic flap. I can buy the original mirror housing for $75 but would rather only spend $20 if this works since I only need the plastic flap from the mirror housing...not the rest. Getting rid of the airbag print on the flap would be an added bonus if this works.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I just wanted to add a note to this post that if only the plastic flap hinges are broken, you can buy the much cheaper Boxster non-illuminated part for $20 (Suncoast: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/euromirrornon.html?Category_Code=986trimupgrades).

The plastic flap is the same (item 13 in Loren's pic), and has the light actuator.

Simply remove the spring clips with fine nose pliers from the new assembly, and snap the flap in place in the lighted assembly. No need to remove from car.

Note:

1) Make sure that the switch actuator is behind the switch spring and not under it!

2) Slot one side in first, the flex the flap as much as possible to snap in place. Make sure you don't break the plastic pins!

Simon

Edited by ferrugia

Thanks, Loren. I saw your other post about replacing the entire vanity mirror housing (which is incredibly helpful by the way).

In this thread I was actually asking about using the method which Swynn97 described, which is to replace the flap *only* (the flap is a part of the vanity mirror housing) -- more speficially, buying the $20 "European Vanity Mirror Lid - non-illuminated" (which is for the Boxster) from SunCoast and removing the flap to move it over and replace the one that broke off in my car.

At any rate I went ahead and took your advice on replacing the entire mirror housing instead of just the flap since I've read some of your other posts and you are incredibly knowledgable when it comes to Porsches.

Many thanks.