Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Not your normal power window problem.....

strange new problem. when i use the one touch roll-up function of my driver's side window, it rolls all the way up, then proceeds to roll halfway down (like if you unlatched the convertible top). it also does this when i roll it up with the key. if i time it right, i can roll it all the way up & release the switch and it will stay up, BUT, then it won't drop the normal 1/2" or so when i open the door. the passenger side works normally. has anyone ever experienced this? any ideas here? haven't had a chance to dig into it yet.

Try re-training the windows. Hold the button down until the window goes down all the way - hold in final position for 10 seconds. Then do the same for the up motion.

that was the very first thing i tried. problem still occurs.

• 2 weeks later...
Try re-training the windows. Hold the button down until the window goes down all the way - hold in final position for 10 seconds. Then do the same for the up motion.

that was the very first thing i tried. problem still occurs.

i have the exact same issue....please let me know if you come up with a solution and i'll do the same.

regards,

Bill

'01 Boxtser Orient Red/Black

Another window problem? LOL

I might have an idea,,, since it's not dropping half an inch like u mentioned it probably is not the micro switch. Seems to me window motor is getting a comfort open call when it's not necessary. A couple of ways I would approach: disconnect #5 terminal(comfort open contact) on the motor side first possibly 6,7 then see what happens. Also your connectors might be shorted,switch can be sticking - cuz its definitely calling a signal to your motor somehow when u don't want to

Mine 01 did the same thing the other day. It started a few days after my wife opened the door while we were driving.

What I did was make sure the window went all the way up and stayed up for a few minutes, then I pulled the handle just enough to trigger it to drop an inch (door still closed), and then released the handle - window went back up.

It hasn't done it again since (fingers crossed).

Edited by por986

thanks for the replies, guys. juniic - you're probably right that there's a short to ground somewhere in the motor mechanism. i actually have an extra lying around from a 996 cab; i'll swap it in to see if the problem goes away. FYI, the only difference between the motors is that the 996 cab motor will drop the window all the way when you unhinge the convertible top latch.

I'm hoping that I am ;) theory is something like that but probably not shorted to ground. If it was your window should not be working at all just because of the fact that any hot leg(12V/+) touching the ground, fuse should be blown immediately. I'm thinking more likely, its your hot legs getting shorted or motor itself,,, let us know what happens !

thanks for the replies, guys. juniic - you're probably right that there's a short to ground somewhere in the motor mechanism. i actually have an extra lying around from a 996 cab; i'll swap it in to see if the problem goes away. FYI, the only difference between the motors is that the 996 cab motor will drop the window all the way when you unhinge the convertible top latch.