Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM Version Differences?

I had the imfamous PCM Eats CD Syndrome. I took the car to my dealer and it has been replaced. Now the CD player will not recognize my existing MP3 CDs. Is there a possibility that the CD-Player in this PCM head unit is of an older generation?

Perhaps there's a change I can make to the way I create CDs?

Obviously, I'd be quite disappointed if I'm not going to be able to play MP3 CDs anymore.

I am hoping that there's a change or setting I'm missing rather than what I suspect: PCNA / my dealer sent the wrong / old PCM head unit over.

I don't have that much confidence as the techs wiped my stored locations after I told them to back that info up. They said it wasn't possible.

Thanks in advance,

STS

The units fitted with the MP3 compatable drive are level B software or above. This function should work straight out of the box. It could be an older generation refurbished unit has been installed instead , which has been upgraded to level B , but does not have MP3 compatability. You should be running version 3.3 software if its a new unit and MP3 capable. I don't think the older units can be upgraded beyond level 3 software , though i'm not absolutely certain on this. Press main and trip buttons to get info on software level.

Berty987,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I just checked and my software is

PCM info is:

Target: /

Actual 04202JD1 / 3004

Entered: Yes

Found: Yes

System Software

Actual: 04113AD1 / 1104

In this menu the top three items (System , PCM , Amplifier) all have Warning Triangles listed. The Nav item has a check mark.

Does this confirm that the PCM was installed improperly or that the software revision is old / it's a refurbished unit?

Thanks again,

STS

• 4 weeks later...
Berty987,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I just checked and my software is

PCM info is:

Actual 04202JD1 / 3004

System Software

Actual: 04113AD1 / 1104

In this menu the top three items (System , PCM , Amplifier) all have Warning Triangles listed. The Nav item has a check mark.

Does this confirm that the PCM was installed improperly or that the software revision is old / it's a refurbished unit?

Thanks again,

STS

This suggests that the PCM that has been fitted is an early generation unit , the software revision being level 1 and the PCM software being the lower range of numbers. The updated PCM software is 05 rather than 04 prefix, and the software level for your age of car should be at least version 3.1 if not 3.3 (rather than 1.0 as you have at the moment). Since your car is a later version , this explains why the system , amplifier and PCM all have warning triangles , as the existing hardware in the car does not match the software in the PCM. The Porsche agent should have checked this after refitting the new unit and updated the PCM to level B to match the navigation and amplifier hardware. They should then have cleared all the fault codes from the system. Certainly it sounds suspect that the PCM you have been supplied is not Mp3 compatable as was your previous unit.

Edited by berty987