Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have noticed every now and then a strange chirpping with ticking noise coming from the engine @ idle; I know the lifters make some ticking sounds but there is a distinct chirp as well. The sound comes and goes and some days I never hear the chirp but just the normal lifter ticking. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this.

Thank you

If it does not go away when warmed up then you should have your dealer check it out - while you are still under warranty.
I will Loren and thanks. The wierd part is it comes and goes from day to day. Edited by 500

This topic came up a while ago with a fellow with a 996. I had the same noise and was concerned. The culprit turned out to be a loose spark plug. I torqued mine down and the chirp sound vanished. The other fellow's mechanic told him that his crankshaft was out of balance and would require a new engine! Oh my!!! Make sure to do all your research.

There is a thread here with a sound bite that illustrates the chirping sound. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

Hope this helps

Phillipj

This topic came up a while ago with a fellow with a 996. I had the same noise and was concerned. The culprit turned out to be a loose spark plug. I torqued mine down and the chirp sound vanished. The other fellow's mechanic told him that his crankshaft was out of balance and would require a new engine! Oh my!!! Make sure to do all your research.

There is a thread here with a sound bite that illustrates the chirping sound. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

Hope this helps

Phillipj

Thanks so very much...this was very helpful! :)

If I can quickly check to see if the spark plugs are torqued properly it will save me a trip, also the noise is intermittent so there's only about a 50/50 chance it will be there when at the dealership. If the plugs are tight then I'll have to bring it in for sure.

Edited by 500

• Moderators

There are a lot of 997 with chirping serpentine belt rollers, only cars with man. gearboxes, they have plastic rollers. The ones with tiptronic have metal rollers without issues.

If I can quickly check to see if the spark plugs are torqued properly it will save me a trip, also the noise is intermittent so there's only about a 50/50 chance it will be there when at the dealership. If the plugs are tight then I'll have to bring it in for sure.

It's been my experience that dealers typically lack the incentive to find 'strange and/or intermittent' problems on warranty covered cars. What they usually do (if they can't locate or confirm the customer reported problem) is perform some other maintence action so they get reimbursed from PCNA.

Good ideal to check obvious things first (if you can) before bringing the car into the dealer.

There are a lot of 997 with chirping serpentine belt rollers, only cars with man. gearboxes, they have plastic rollers. The ones with tiptronic have metal rollers without issues.

Good to know, thanks. I wonder why plastic on 6 speed's and metal on tips?

Edited by 500

It's been my experience that dealers typically lack the incentive to find 'strange and/or intermittent' problems on warranty covered cars. What they usually do (if they can't locate or confirm the customer reported problem) is perform some other maintence action so they get reimbursed from PCNA.

Good ideal to check obvious things first (if you can) before bringing the car into the dealer.

Very true.

• Moderators

In the beginning yes, you can do the following steps:

top up the steering fluid level to be sure

do a test drive til the noise is there

remove the air box and the belt

let the engine running without the belt for MAX. 1 MINUTE ( the engine can overheat )

if the noise is gone check by hand which roller or pulley is the cause

if the noise is still there go to the dealer

COUTION: the engine runs without air box/MAF sensor a engine check will occur, clear the code.

In the beginning yes, you can do the following steps:

top up the steering fluid level to be sure

do a test drive til the noise is there

remove the air box and the belt

let the engine running without the belt for MAX. 1 MINUTE ( the engine can overheat )

if the noise is gone check by hand which roller or pulley is the cause

if the noise is still there go to the dealer

COUTION: the engine runs without air box/MAF sensor a engine check will occur, clear the code.

Thank you RFM.

If the noise is still there what might it be?

If the noise is still there go to the dealer, there are more possibilities for this sort of noises, release bearing etc.

Success.

Thanks.

A clutch kit was recently installed along with a new flywheel all under warranty as the car was suffereing from clutch chatter since new. I believe the chirpping noise was also there before the clutch work. I will take it to the dealer if the belt test is not successful. I have read here a loose spark plug could cause the problem so I will check that too. Can it also be a lifter?

Edited by 500

In general lifters dont chirping, it's rather ticking.

Yes I realize that ...

I was thinking perhaps one of the lifters may not be getting enough oil or malfunctioning in some way which may be causing the chirpping sound.