Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Okay, another rear spoiler issue

Arthur Q

Okay, for my first post here, I have just joined the fraternity with a 2001 turbo, seal grey, 6 speed, carbon fibre interior. I love it, no questions - I have wanted a turbo since........1975!!!!! Anyway, one annoyance is that the rear spoiler will raise and lower both at 70mph and manually, but only about 1/2 way! It causes the dash light to come on (saying rear spoiler failure), but other than that, it works fine - it lowers on its own in automatic, and as I said, it works the same way manually. So, could it be short on hydraulic fluid? I have tried to "coax" it further, with someone manually operating the switch, but even though I can pull up on the rams, the spoiler will definitely not go further than about a 2 inch extension. Any thoughts? I have looked through the archives, but no one seems to have had this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the hydraulic rams are available from Porsche as a separate new part?
Yes, but Porsche also recommends new lines/fittings.

The bleeding/adjusting procedure will also need to be performed.

This seems to be a pretty common problem; where do the lift cylinders leak from? Can they be rebuilt by a hyd. cylinder shop? I deal with expensive heavy equipment hydraulic issues all of the time and we can have almost all of our hyd. cylinders rebuilt. Usually the rod gets marred and causes the seal to leak and we can have the rode refinished and a new seal put in. I ask because I too have noticed that the bottom of my lift cylinders is a little wet with hyd. fluid so I know that it's leaking. It's still working for the time being but it's just a matter of time before I start to get the wing malfunction warning.

As a layman, that is exactly what I was thinking - surely these hydraulic rams are no more complicated than those that actually have to lift something heavy! Or, would injecting some fluid (as described in another thread) using a syringe provide a temporary fix?

Well I dropped my car off at Porsche today and like everyone else has said before they don't fix the cylinders, they just want to replace the whole thing. Now I'm not sure if the "whole" thing also means the pump, I have to clarify that tomorrow. If they do want to replace the whole thing and my warranty does't cover it I'll probably just attempt to have one of my cylinder shops repair it. If it comes to that I'll let everyone know the results. Then again, even if they do replace it I'll ask for the parts back and I might see if I can fix them anyway.

Well I dropped my car off at Porsche today and like everyone else has said before they don't fix the cylinders, they just want to replace the whole thing. Now I'm not sure if the "whole" thing also means the pump, I have to clarify that tomorrow. If they do want to replace the whole thing and my warranty does't cover it I'll probably just attempt to have one of my cylinder shops repair it. If it comes to that I'll let everyone know the results. Then again, even if they do replace it I'll ask for the parts back and I might see if I can fix them anyway.

Any results to report on this? I am curious what your cylinder shop says.

Any results to report on this? I am curious what your cylinder shop says.

The dealer replaced the whole thing, including the pump, under warranty. I asked if I could have the parts but they said that they had to keep them for the warranty claim. So... no joy. But I would bet that a cylinder shop could fix them.