Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Not recommended. Invest in a good set of winter tires with dedicated winter rims. This would be the best approach for you and the other drives you share the road with. Your family deserves it too! :)

The statement was...

I don't mean snow and ice.

With those exceptions, and often, mostly, even without them, summer tires will outperform ANY winter specialty tire.

On ice or heavily packed snow my summer tires have more CSA for traction than your winter specialty tires.

And be QUIETER and more COMFORTABLE riding to boot.

Has anyone ever tested winter specialty tires against just a good plain old summer tire in any condition other than with a "loose" surface...??

Like the rarity of finding good powder snow for skiing how often do you "find" just the right conditions wherein your winter specialty tires are worth the cost?

Can someone tell me WHY winter tires would use a rubber formulation to soften the tread any moreso than a summer tire is already?.

Besides which, just what is the downside to the manufacturers using the same formulation, softer tread in COLD conditions, in a summer tire?

Has anyone knowledge or indication that they don't...?

My '01 AWD RX300, and the two Jeeps that preceeded it, runs on nice and quiet, comfortably riding, summer tires, Bridgestone Turanzas the year 'round. One set of chains on board year 'round, for the rear, and the second set added onboard during the winter months.

Edited by wwest

My '01 AWD RX300, and the two Jeeps that preceeded it, runs on nice and quiet, comfortably riding, summer tires, Bridgestone Turanzas the year 'round. One set of chains on board year 'round, for the rear, and the second set added onboard during the winter months.

I completely concur. Summer tires lose grip when it gets cold, but so do all tires. I have driven my Bridgestone RE01Rs down at 20 F (on dry pavement) and they are much grippier at that temp, than say, the Pirellis on my wife's Ford are at any temperature.

This hysteria about "summer" tires losing more grip than "other" tires is just nonsense.

Eric

Think the major difference is tread, more aggressive tread to use on snow and slush, than summer tires that utulize tread to evacuate water and more road surface area. Compounds in summer tires allow the tire to run at higher temps, winter compunds are geared towards lower temps.