Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

boxster tiptronic

hi all

have a boxster 1997 2.7 tiptronic with a strange fault . the gearbox works fine in tiptronic mode but when left in auto will not change up into 5th gear ?? just sits there at 7000rpm and wont change up . car been checked on pst2 no faults stored in any systems

any help much appreciated

thanks simon

wow all the way up to 7grand? that's not good

First of all, I would check your fluid level first,hopefully its pretty low.

dual clutch packs could be failing? NOPE u already said works fine with M mode.

-When the motor vehicle is stationary, in neutral, both clutch packs are fully disengaged. When the driver has selected D for drive , the transmission's first gear is selected on the first shaft, and the clutch prepares to engage. At the same time, the second gear is also selected, but the clutch pack for 2nd gear remains fully disengaged.

As it accelerates, the transmission's computer determines when the second gear (which is connected to the second clutch) should be fully utilized. Depending on the vehicle speed, and amount of power being requested by the driver (full throttle or part-throttle normal driving), the DSG then upshifts. During this sequence, the DSG disengages the first clutch while engaging the second clutch (all power from the engine is now going through the second shaft), thus completing the shift sequence. This sequence happens in 8 ms, and there is practically no power loss.

The actual shift timings are determined by the DSGs Electronic Control Unit, or ECU, which commands a hydro-mechanical unit, and the two units combined are called a "mechatronics" unit.

if tranny fluid level is OK then most likey it's the Tip transmission computer.

hi all

have a boxster 1997 2.7 tiptronic with a strange fault . the gearbox works fine in tiptronic mode but when left in auto will not change up into 5th gear ?? just sits there at 7000rpm and wont change up . car been checked on pst2 no faults stored in any systems

thanks simon

Good call! wvicary

stay away from 7,000 RPM

Did they reset the kickdown point or adaption settings when the PST2 was hooked up? Thats the next step to take after checking the fluid level.

And try to stay away from 7,000 RPM..... not good.

Is this a fault? I cant say for sure but having had a 911 tip and now a boxster tip, it sounds familar, I assume you are holding it the trottle to the floor, what happens if you lift of a bit? Is the engine running smoothly?

I have a feeling I have experienced this, in the 911 or the boxster and I put it down to a design feature, cant be sure though.

Sorry but living in Australia, I cant simulate this easily, the men with flashing lights (and a lack of sense of humour) might decide that they need my license more than me :-)

Very interested in the outcome on this one?

Bruce

Good call! wvicary

stay away from 7,000 RPM

Did they reset the kickdown point or adaption settings when the PST2 was hooked up? Thats the next step to take after checking the fluid level.

And try to stay away from 7,000 RPM..... not good.

hi all

thanks for your replies . today flushed the box through with clean oil and checked level. went out on road test all was fine selecting 5th gear ok until i selected tip mode !! would not go into tip mode so switched ignition off then back on then it would select tip and auto. tip worked fine but in auto wont change into 5th again under any conditions except when in auto and 4th if you put it into tip and select 5th then go back to auto it stays in 5th !!! until it changes down as you slow down . cant see reset adaptions or kickdown on pst2 [ver 24 software] its a 2.5 not a 2.7 sorry . thinking like been suggested poss tip ecu fault ????

thanks simon

Just a query on the description below in a Tiptronic in D (auto), the default is to start in 2nd gear, 1 st gear requires to be placed in manual. thanks for the electro mechanical description ( I learnt some more about my car)

wow all the way up to 7grand? that's not good

First of all, I would check your fluid level first,hopefully its pretty low.

dual clutch packs could be failing? NOPE u already said works fine with M mode.

-When the motor vehicle is stationary, in neutral, both clutch packs are fully disengaged. When the driver has selected D for drive , the transmission's first gear is selected on the first shaft, and the clutch prepares to engage. At the same time, the second gear is also selected, but the clutch pack for 2nd gear remains fully disengaged.

As it accelerates, the transmission's computer determines when the second gear (which is connected to the second clutch) should be fully utilized. Depending on the vehicle speed, and amount of power being requested by the driver (full throttle or part-throttle normal driving), the DSG then upshifts. During this sequence, the DSG disengages the first clutch while engaging the second clutch (all power from the engine is now going through the second shaft), thus completing the shift sequence. This sequence happens in 8 ms, and there is practically no power loss.

The actual shift timings are determined by the DSGs Electronic Control Unit, or ECU, which commands a hydro-mechanical unit, and the two units combined are called a "mechatronics" unit.

if tranny fluid level is OK then most likey it's the Tip transmission computer.

hi all

thanks simon

Simon - What juniinc seems to be describing is DSG, which is completely different to tiptronic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see its relevance to the query. For information on tiptronic, I suggest you download the 1999 911 Carrera Service Information book that is available to you as a contributing member. It gives a very good description of the control system.

Tiptronic will normally start off in second gear, except during the first drive-off of the day (during the warm-up program). However, if you are in automatic and you open the throttle very quickly from rest, it will shift down to first automatically. You don't need to hit the kickdown switch to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard

I must say that the reference to DSG when talking about tiptronic got me thinking too...I wasn't aware that there was any connection and that they were two disparate gearbox technologies.

Simon - What juniinc seems to be describing is DSG, which is completely different to tiptronic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see its relevance to the query. For information on tiptronic, I suggest you download the 1999 911 Carrera Service Information book that is available to you as a contributing member. It gives a very good description of the control system.
Edited by Amaboknaai

It sounds electrical rather than mechanical to me. I'm guessing, but maybe one of the solenoids on the valve block? What's strange is that the problem is consistent - it isn't like a bad contact. The multifunction switch contacts can cause problems, but I've never heard of one doing anything like this.

its strange after i fitted tip ecu went on road test and it changed up into fifth , but after approx 5 minutes stopped going into 5th gear again when into auto mode . however when put into tip mode will select 5th no problem . put it back to auto and as soon as it changes down to fourth when slowing down it will not go back into 5th. <_<

yours very puzzled

simon

Is your accelerator (gas pedal) all the way to the floor, I mentioned before is that my experience is that they wont shift in this condition but if you lift off a bit it will then shift?

Bruce

its strange after i fitted tip ecu went on road test and it changed up into fifth , but after approx 5 minutes stopped going into 5th gear again when into auto mode . however when put into tip mode will select 5th no problem . put it back to auto and as soon as it changes down to fourth when slowing down it will not go back into 5th. <_<

yours very puzzled

simon

• 3 years later...

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but does anybody have any idea what is causing this.

I've got the same issue, except i've actually already replaced the tiptronic transmission and torque converter. Any help would be much appreciated.

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

Was researching an issue with my boxster (2000 W reg) 2.7 auto tip when coming upon this thread.

I am a car dealer and this one came in part ex (lovely car so decided to keep it :)

Anyway...... 5 months of trouble free driving then.....

Hanging in 4th gear... holding back in gears when coming to a complete stop ... occasionally selecting 1st gear (even when warm) ..... However, sometimes it drives beautifully and when driving in manual mode, all behaves as it should.

The only thing which has changed is the break warning light intermittantly pops on. is it possible that this could be flipping the ABS and causing possible gear change issues?

So far i have: Changed mass air flow (this was showing as a fault on diagnostics) then gearbox oil & filters, & factory reset on the gearbox ecu..... the next thing for me to do is the multifunction switch on the side of the box but am hesitant as i have already thrown £1000 at this prob... (def worth saying that all thru this process there have been no transmission fault codes registered)