Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Blaupunkt Hamburg

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this head unit. I was looking for a replacement headunit that was plain looking with an aux/ipod input and a cd player. Didn't want to go with a full nav system since from my reading none are as good as a much cheaper garmin. The Blaupunkt is appealing since it lets me use the ipod controls, but will still display track info. Plus from what I have read I might be able to just drop this in without needing a wiring harness.

I have put a Blaupunkt drx70 IN MY 996 which has a extremely good sat nav system. I use an iPod via a Dension module (which is not that good since it hangs evey now and then and their support sucks). I had an old Bose 901 series setup in my house where the spectrum head unit failed. The drivers in these speakers are absolutely mind blowing and they just happen to fit (with a little elbow grease) in the 996. That together with a 10" Aliante woofer and a 300w power amp. The sound is as good as it gets.

Driving around Europe without satnav is very stressful so its a must for me.

I decided to go ahead and order the Hamburg since Crutchfield had it on sale and I found a coupon. the ipod cable I have is the "dumb" cable, no control from the head unit just power and audio. Not sure if it will display track info. I don't mind that since I found posts online indicating Blaupunkts ipod support can be buggy. I am excited everything will work off the same cables, no harness. I can take my time researching amps and speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed a Hamburg MP57 in my 99 C2, love it.

Installation was a breeze since it's using the same DIN wiring as the OE unit, just unplug the CDR220 and plug in the MP57.

Even the speed sensitive volume control works. I installed the Mic (for the Bluetooth Handsfree) next to the sunroof switch and ran the cable down the left side A-pillar (also did the remote controll range-extension mod while I had the cover off).

Bluetooth works like a charm, I paired it with my Samsung Blackjack. Allthough the 996 is quite noisy on rough roads, voice quality is excellent.

Best $199 spent on my p-car so far..

I just got mine in as well, only took an hour. Still need to go through the manual and turn off some quirky features (head unit forgets the volume it was at when i turned off the car, plus if it really has speed sensitive volume then i need to disable that asap).

Speed sensitive volume is called 'auto volume', the default setting is moderate unlike the CDR220, the turn-on volume can be adjusted or set to last volume when turned off. The phone volume can also be preset.

Radio is great, better sensitivity and sound than the CRD220, MP3/WMA sound quality is OK, not quite a good as the Rockford-Fosgate Omnifi I had before.

Just installed a Hamburg MP57 in my 99 C2, love it.

Installation was a breeze since it's using the same DIN wiring as the OE unit, just unplug the CDR220 and plug in the MP57.

Even the speed sensitive volume control works. I installed the Mic (for the Bluetooth Handsfree) next to the sunroof switch and ran the cable down the left side A-pillar (also did the remote controll range-extension mod while I had the cover off).

Bluetooth works like a charm, I paired it with my Samsung Blackjack. Allthough the 996 is quite noisy on rough roads, voice quality is excellent.

Best $199 spent on my p-car so far..

Sounds good guys. My CDR 220 has had a rough life, faceplate hinge is kind of tweaked.

I've got a similar JVC system in my Westfalia that just has the plugin jack on the front, works fine for my iPod purposes.

Where did you guys purchase your Hamburg?

I like the sound of hooking up a large harddrive full of all my MP3's via the USB port.

Anyone got any pictures of this unit installed? I notice it's a 25W per channel amp, how does that compare to the CDR220 and the factory amp in the front of my 99 C2?

What would be a good set of speakers to pair with this?

Thank you for any input you can give. I'm a little frustrated with the sound quality in my 'old' car, and want to modernise it a bit.

-James.