Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help, Paint Shop Screwed My Car!?!

I had the front end redone as well as the ground effects. I went to put the under-body panels back on the car that I had off to do some work and get the car painted and I saw that they let loose with an automatic self tapping screw gun all the way along my side skirts! I am really looking for someone with some imagination. I am mortified and speechless. You could probably add a little pissed to that. Has this happened to anyone before. Please give me ideas here can they even repair the metal to prevent rust? I sincerely doubt it as factory holes for ground effects cuase premature rust. This is supposed to be the premier body shop in KC. Most of the high end Stealers use them???

I had the front end redone as well as the ground effects. I went to put the under-body panels back on the car that I had off to do some work and get the car painted and I saw that they let loose with an automatic self tapping screw gun all the way along my side skirts! I am really looking for someone with some imagination. I am mortified and speechless. You could probably add a little pissed to that. Has this happened to anyone before. Please give me ideas here can they even repair the metal to prevent rust? I sincerely doubt it as factory holes for ground effects cuase premature rust. This is supposed to be the premier body shop in KC. Most of the high end Stealers use them???

ViolaGT3,

Based on your description of the body shop using self-tapping screws I share your concern for future possible corrosin/rusting. DId the shop tell you if they used a silicone like sealer on the threads of the the screws before assembly?? Are the screws stainless steel?? If the answer is no to both questions, then you could request they reinstall the srews with the silicone sealer and that should help prevent future problems, although I don't understand why they wouldn't have used the clips or adhesive tape I understand Porsche recooends for the installation if they are a "high-end" shop.

Good luck!! Demosan :cheers:

ViolaGT3,

Based on your description of the body shop using self-tapping screws I share your concern for future possible corrosin/rusting. DId the shop tell you if they used a silicone like sealer on the threads of the the screws before assembly?? Are the screws stainless steel?? If the answer is no to both questions, then you could request they reinstall the srews with the silicone sealer and that should help prevent future problems, although I don't understand why they wouldn't have used the clips or adhesive tape I understand Porsche recooends for the installation if they are a "high-end" shop.

Good luck!! Demosan :cheers:

Hi well they did not say one word to me about it I just went to put the under body panel back on and I saw shiney little bolt/screw heads all the way down the side of my car? I am really not happy at all. I cannot believe that they would do it and then not to tell me. that they drilled about 20 or so holes in the bottom of my car. I don't understand why they did anything in the first place with out contacting me about the matter?????

"A Little pissed off" ?... I would be furious. I am really sorry to hear about your ordeal.

I have had a few similar issues over the years, and I think it really sucks!!! What aggravates me even more is that when you bring up the issue they act like it is not a big deal. If you demand refund/compensation, they just send you to their liability insurance company. Every time this has happened to me, I have backed off because I did not have time to deal with it.

I have always wondered if we could create a "renntech retaliation fund". We could put up several hundred $ per person to get a descent amount to retain a national law firm which could deal with all those assholes. Even if they keep all of what they collect, I would be happy to make my point!

Viola,

I would seriously consider getting an attorney. What they did has devalued your car. That is totally unacceptable. Sue everyone and see what sticks. Believe me they won't like having to appear in court

I'm not "sue happy" but your case is worth it.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Phillipj

Edited by phillipj

Um... if you read the Porsche TSBs for installing the Aerokit side skirts - the instructions say to screw the side panels to the chassis.

"Using a hand drill and a phillips head bit, screw in the 3.5 x 16 countersunk sheetmetal screws for the retaining strips."

PICT0998.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Vi...T3/PICT0998.jpg

Would you call the entire skirt the retaining strip? I'll have a look at my Parts CD. But the kit is factory installed and it never had all these screws in it like this.

P.S. sorry about the dirty picture but had the car out in the messy roads and haven't cleaned it up yet. = (

Edited by ViolaGT3