Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cruise Control Not Working

For some reason my cruise control is not working anymore. I remember the last time I used it was in January. I was on the highway yesterday, clicked it on and pushed it forward but nothing happened. Any thoughts?

Jacob

You might be right about the battery 1surfer. I was fixing my top last week and I used a lot of the battery while the car wasn't running. But the green light comes on when I press the cruise control button.

• 1 month later...

Cruise shares the Row B #7 fuse with the brake light........so either check the fuse or your lights.

I have the same problem on the Turbo right now, only I have no dash light, nothing.

I'd never heard the battery suggestion so I'll charge it tonight to test........any other ideas welcome here also.....TIA.

• Upvote 1

I should qualify....as a former 986 owner, I thought the fuse boxes were about the same as the 996....think they are.

From another board.........2 ideas........a less than full charged batt can cause cruise to be inop...........also (believe it or not) a light out in the 3rd brake light array can also cause cruise problems?

Check the switch at the top of the clutch pedal - porsche uses 2 on the 9x6 cars.. one at bottom of clutch travel for starter interlock, second at the top so that the ECU can infer when you're shifting or disengage the cruise if you push the clutch in. It can stick all the way in & prevent the cruise control from working. Easy fix is to pull the plunger out a bit..

On my '97 you can hear both clicking when pushing the clutch pedal down. If you only hear the click when the pedal approaching the floor, you've found the problem.

• Moderators

I also have in the back of my mind that if a brake light bulb is out the cruise will not work. Also, if there is something is wrong with the brake light switch. But I would think the green indicator light would not come on if that is the problem.

I could be dreaming, but it is easy enough to see if the brake lights work and rule that out as the cause.

Everything seems to be in order, I've eliminated all the small stuff ( tail light bulbs, etc.). It clicks twice when I press the clutch, the fuse is good. Could it be a programming thing? I think mine stopped working when the anti-theft unit was replaced. Or maybe the cable that is attached to the gas pedal snapped?

Mine isn't working either but for a totally different reason. I had the clock spring replaced under warranty, I kept hearing a clicking sound while turning the wheel. My dealer replaced the clock spring but they must have forgotten to plugin the cruise control because on a 3000 mile road trip I noticed sometime that the cruise was busted.

To make it worse, the new clock spring seems to be clicking now too, *and* my cruise is busted. Time to drop it at the dealer I guess. :lol:

Tom

thellion, try to get info from the dealer when you get your car fixed. Maybe he can give us a clue. I would go to the dealer but I know that they will rip me off and blame the problem on a major component.

I’m posting the following since it may add a clue to help resolve the problems with the cruise control.

My cruise control has not worked since I bought the car earlier this year. The light did go on when I pressed the button, but nothing would happen when I pushed the lever forward. I had not planed on fixing it (since I’d rather drive the car than ride in the car) and was surprised to find it started to work after I changed the air filter yesterday. I also cleaned the engine compartment when I changed the filter – vacuumed and wiped up dust. I may have hit something, but I think the only change was the filter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we might be on to something here as my cruise control isn't working either. It worked well last year when I put the car in storage but when I brought the car out this year it wasn't working. I have the same problem my cruise light comes on in the dash but the cruise doesn't work. I have checked my system and all seems in order. I wonder if it is in the actual arm on the column? Any thoughts? Tool pants have you ever replaced any cruise components?

Marco

• Moderators

I have never played around with the cruise control. And keep in mind that the system used on 1997-1999 is different than the e-gas cars that started in 2000. With a PST2 you could find out in 5 minutes why it does not work.