Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997S rear bumper removal

• Admin

post-1-1202921039.png

Unscrew fastening screws 1 at the sides of the rear bumper 2. Check sheet metal nuts 3, replace if needed.

post-1-1202921106.png

Unscrew fastening screws 1 at the top and bottom of the rear bumper 2.

Pull the rear bumper 2 carefully backwards until the plug connection can be reached.

post-1-1202921232.png

Press lug (arrow) of the plug connection 4 and disconnect it. Remove rear bumper.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Install is the reverse... plus:

post-1-1202921519.png

Check the gap dimensions of the tailpipes 5 for the rear bumper 2 , adjust tailpipes 5 if necessary.

Projection from rear bumper: Y = 2 mm.

Distance from rear bumper: Z = 27±1 mm.

Center distance at the sides evenly to the left and right.

Greetings:

Does anyone have a diagram of the rear bumper assembly for a 997. I am planning the installation of an exhaust system and it seems that it would be a lot easier if the rear bumper panel was removed.

Thanks.

Chromedome

Sir:

Thanks for the immediate response.... the diagram confirms my overview, visual assesment .... this is what I expected , relative to fastners. Having the rear panel removed will make the exhaust installation much easier especially when it comes to bolt/ nut access. Again ...Thank you very much!!!

Chromedome

Yes, then you remove the 3 pins and and push the four tabs out.

Please excuse the hi-jack . . . Loren, where are these diagrams and instructions from? Is there a digital repair manual available for the owner (ie. non-dealer)?

I've had three different exhausts on my car, and I can confirm, there is absolutely no reason to remove the rear bumper when removing or replacing the exhaust. It is easy to do, and all bolts are very easy to access, especially compared to the Boxster. I can now R&R my exhaust in less than 45 mins.

Gundo

I've had three different exhausts on my car, and I can confirm, there is absolutely no reason to remove the rear bumper when removing or replacing the exhaust. It is easy to do, and all bolts are very easy to access, especially compared to the Boxster. I can now R&R my exhaust in less than 45 mins.

Gundo

Greetings:

I plan on removing the rear bumper because I didn't want to remove the rear tires to remove the mufflers or put the car on jack stands. I've looked on the AWE sight and they have pictures with the rear bumper removed. It's just seemed that it would be easier to remove the top cat/muffler pipe bolt and the mufflers as well as align the cats and remove the cat bracket bolt...with the bumper removed. Once I do the installation I'll post my impressions on this forum. Thank you for the input.

I'll be doing x51 headers, AWE cats and mufflers.

Chromedome

06 C2S

• 2 weeks later...

AWE has pics to show the exhaust, not to document the install. The bumper isn't hard to remove, it's just that I'd be worried about chipping, scratching or dropping during removal - the bumpers come off much easier with 2 people to handle them during removal

And I almost forgot - there is no reason to remove the rear wheels for any of this work - wheels don't interfere with access to headers, cats or mufflers.

Edited by Gundo

• Admin
I'm importing a 997 C2S into the UK from the US, and would like to convert the rear bumper to look euro spec. Do you have details on how this can be done.

Many Thanks

Bob

Just buy a new bumper and don't cut the holes for the bumperettes. Most RoW cars do not have bumperettes.

Just buy a new bumper and don't cut the holes for the bumperettes. Most RoW cars do not have bumperettes.

Hi,

I assume there's some form of support structure behind the bumperette, which would require to be removed. Therefore a simple replacement of a euro spec bumper won't do ? Or will it ?

Thanks

Bob

Yes, then you remove the 3 pins and and push the four tabs out.

Please excuse the hi-jack . . . Loren, where are these diagrams and instructions from? Is there a digital repair manual available for the owner (ie. non-dealer)?

Yes there is a digital repair manual. It is by Porsche and sent to the dealer in POSES and in the PIWIS. If you want more info PM or email me.