Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Check Engine light

2001 C4

114,000 km

Canadian car

I just washed the car and the check engine light came on about 10 minutes later as I was driving home. I always wipe down under the engine lid and it surprises me how much water runs down on the air box when I lift the lid it after washing . is there any correlation b/w this and the light coming on?

Thanks

not really sure what you mean by de-snorkeld, can you explain in a bit more detail, I ran it through a touchless car wash to get all the winter grime off.

Thanks

Did you, or the prior owner, remove the air intake tube (noise abaitment) on the drivers side air vent?

There is a corrugated rubber piece which I assume is the snorkle, everything looks intact .. Looks like it compresses when I close the engine lid to seal it ...

Do you think that a small amount of water entering the air intake (snorkle ) could casue the CEL to come on?

Thanks

Somebody on here might know exactly what your issue is based on their experience (like maybe water in your MAF sensor), but what if that CEL has nothing to do with your car wash? First thing I would do is get an OBDII/CAF code reader and find out exactly what the problem is. You can get those reader from $40-$200 USD. If you are going to do any DIY you need a code reader anyway.

Edited by vette67

wxseed:

You can also usually get your codes read for free at chain stores like Pep Boys or Autozone. If you want to just clear the code, you can disconnect the battery for 1 minute (make sure you have your radio code handy), but it's a much better idea to document what the code is first, before you clear it.

I have only heard of the "desnorking" or "desnorkeling" as it applies to Boxsters, not to 911's. Lots of Boxster owners remove the rubber "snorkel" that runs from the driver's side air vent to the air filter and it gives the engine a more aggressive sound when accelerating. "Juniinc" posted a procedure about 6 months ago if you are curious as to what the process looks like.

Regards, Maurice.

Another possibility.......that might not be related to washing your car.

Did you happen to check your oil when you washed your car? and filled the oil & not tighten the oil cap?

Could be just a loose cap. No need to worry. Once you tighten the loose cap the CEL light will reset itself eventually (go out).

The CEL is related to emissions control. You can get a CEL not only for just leaving your oil cap loose, same thing for the gas cap and coolant cap. If those are all OK then the next step is to have the codes read out to see what's being reported. Your car computer reads many engine parameters and will give you the CEL warning. You might consider getting a OBD II reader. Having a OBDII reader to check the codes is handy to have, plus reseting the light (off) once you read the codes. If CEL comes back on I check again for other possibilities.

If your CEL is still on......and you don't have a OBD II.

Any decent independent shop, dealer or AutoZone store can check the codes (free) for you. If you know someone that has a OBD II reader you might also be able to get the code and figure out what's wrong yourself. Reading the code should then point you in the right direction to solve the issue. The problem is though, that the codes are not very clear and it may take some research to really pin point the actual problem.

Then I would ask for additional help with the codes and recomendations here on Renntech. You are asking for help at the right place.

BTW, you can drive with the CEL on but not flashing. If the light is flashing you should not run the car (it will damage the catalytic converters).

Edited by dedes

Was the light flashing?

I had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago...

I was leaving on a business trip, and it had rained A LOT the night before.... so i hopped in the car and headed off to see the girlfriend before catching my flight.

At the first traffic light i noticed my idle was fairly low .. and a little rough... no big deal as there was no check light on or anything. So i drove the rest of the way... ect.

So i came back out 10 minutes later, started the car.... flashing check light and a a very rough idle....

Long story short, it was the coilpack on #2

Edited by Chris_C

Guys thanks for all the advice, i will get an OBD reader and check the codes, the car seems to be running perfectly, the idle hunts a little but only 50- 100 rpm it is very stable .. I have read the post on MAF and picked up the cleaner and tools required to clean it because that was my first thought. .... I'll also clean the throttle body at the same time.

I agree, not sure if the car wash and CEL are related, it just seemed odd that it came on after the wash ....