Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Light Bulbs

Does anyone have an idea as to what headlight bulbs to use that will not cause any damage to the lights? Currently it looks as if the current bulbs in the lights may be too high since they are slowly burning yellow stains in the lens. I was thinking of blue bulb effect if anyone has those installed. Would I need to do a conversion, etc for the blue lights? Forgive my grammar, I am not to savvy on the mechanical lingo. :unsure:

• Moderators

The standard bulb is 55W H7 for the head lights also available as BLUE VISION from PHILIPS for a more bluish light or you can make a conversion to xenon if you want. I never seen burning lenses when using the standard bulb.

which bulbs do you have in there now? if you don't know, you can remove one and it should list the manufacturer and part number on the bulb collar. if they are melting your headlight lenses, then get them out of there!

as RFM mentioned, H7 is the correct 'size', but the wattage is what makes the difference. 55w is standard and will not discolor your headlight lenses. you have to be careful with aftermarket bulbs that are supposed to be 'brighter', 'whiter', 'blue-r', etc.

just make sure that the bulb wattage is in the 55w-60w range or less.

Sylvania Silverstar bulbs are a good aftermarket option. they produce a whiter light than the regular halogen bulbs which case more of a yellow light. in my experience, they don't last as long as regular halogen bulbs, but they do have a better appearance for as long as they last.

if you wanted 'blue lights', the correct term is 'Xenon' or 'HID', or in the Porsche world, 'Litronics'. to have 'true' Xenon bulbs you would have to do a conversion, or buy the OEM Litronics from Porsche which are extremely expensive (~$1500 i think). there are kits on eBay that allow you to do this for around $100. beware of aftermarket bulbs that promise the Xenon or HID 'look'. these bulbs can melt your headlight lenses. you may be able to find some aftermarket bulbs that are blue-tinted and are in the 55w-60w range. you could give them a try to see how you like them, but usually they are expensive and put out much less light than regular halogen bulbs.

Edited by Chris_in_NH

aftermarket HID is surely the way to go, cheap as chips, dead easy to fit, the kits come complete with all bits and ballast and instructions.

You get the H7 HID bulb, almost three times brighter and last the life of your car,

Sure you can save a bit by just replacing with standard bulbs but why?

HID looks better, 6K gives you a tinge of blue 8K a lot of blue, see better at night, be seen easier, only draw 35 watts so lowers the strain on your battery/alternator.

Those that burn the lenses are usually the 100 watt bulbs - they burn so hot, plus many people leave their headlights on when stationary in traffic jams - which allows the heat to buid up as no cooling air is passing over the lens

aftermarket HID is surely the way to go, cheap as chips, dead easy to fit, the kits come complete with all bits and ballast and instructions.

You get the H7 HID bulb, almost three times brighter and last the life of your car,

Sure you can save a bit by just replacing with standard bulbs but why?

HID looks better, 6K gives you a tinge of blue 8K a lot of blue, see better at night, be seen easier, only draw 35 watts so lowers the strain on your battery/alternator.

Those that burn the lenses are usually the 100 watt bulbs - they burn so hot, plus many people leave their headlights on when stationary in traffic jams - which allows the heat to buid up as no cooling air is passing over the lens

In that case, can I go ahead and get the following bulbs off ebay?

HID Bulb

Also, does anyone know where I can get a used passenger headlight unit. I managed to get a used driver side off eBay, but for some reason cannot find a passenger side. Does anyone have contacts or links to a place where I can get a bargain?

In that case, can I go ahead and get the following bulbs off ebay?

HID Bulb

yes, you could try those bulbs. you know that they are not 'real' HID bulbs, though, right? it says right on the package 'simulated 7000K HID look'. i would also worry about what if something *does* happen to your headlight lens as a result of these bulbs.

if you want REAL HID (Xenon) system you have to do a wiring conversion so that you can use REAL xenon bulbs. like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H7-HID-CONV...tem120229376883

it's really cheap and for ~$150 you get real HID!

Also, does anyone know where I can get a used passenger headlight unit. I managed to get a used driver side off eBay, but for some reason cannot find a passenger side. Does anyone have contacts or links to a place where I can get a bargain?

eBay, Boxster forums and Porsche dismantlers are your best bet. what kind of headlight unit is it - the one with the amber baked-in, or the 'clear' headlight pod with the amber insert? i have an extra set of the baked-in amber ones if you're interested.

there is a list of dismantlers on this page down towards the bottom. if you haven't seen this site, it is Mike Focke's site and one of the best Boxster sites in existence. BOOKMARK IT! you will need it, trust me. ;)

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikespor...boxsterwebpages