Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How often to change Poly Rib & Fuel Flter (986 2.5)

Hi,

My car is a 1998 manual with air-con.

It is due in tomorrow for a minor 12k service. I have just noticed that it last had a fuel filter and poly-rib belt change in 2002, 6 years ago, at 16,500 miles. My car has now covered 47,000 miles, with 12k of that in the last 9 months.

The service book says to change these items every 48k miles so in theory it's not due until 64,000 in another 9 months, but is that stretching it as the belt is made of rubber and won't last forever, an the OPC did change them initially after just 4 years. If the belt did snap could it take any auxiliaries out etc?

By the same logic, should I have the manual transmision oil changed too although it claims 96,000 mile changes, now that the car is 10 years old?

Then please state that when you post... or put your location in your profile.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...int_box_row_add

48,000 miles.

It does not hurt to do it sooner - especially if you do not know the car's history.

Sorry... will get on that.

I know it won't hurt to do it sooner, my question is, is it problematic to leave the FF & PRB for so long (potentially 7 years)? The car has full Porsche SH to date and these 2 items were last changed in 2002 at 16,5000 miles, so it doesn't need to be done according to milage, untill 64,000 in a year's time, but does 7 years seem a long time to go for without changing these components? I know rubber parts will eventually become brittle and potentially snap etc, so for example, doe a 7 year old PRB sound alarm bells to you?

Thanks for help so far.

Thanks but my car is a UK car & the manual stated 48,000 miles (the link you provided is for US cars) - my question really is should I do these items sooner than the recommended milage due to the age of the car (almost 10 years old)?

This is just logic and some fact, I didn't get it from a book,

Heat and wear can break down the composition of gear oil. Before it got in your car, it was in the ground for zillions of years. So it would seem time isn't an issue.

If it is synthetic It can decompose on its own under really harsh chemical conditions but I don't think the Box. trans. qualifies.

Regards, PK

It basically comes down to:

Should I:

A) change the poly rib belt & fuel filter after 30,000 miles and 6 years?

B) change them after 42,000 miles 7 years?

C) change them after 54,000 miles and 8 years?

Edited by perleman

It basically comes down to:

Should I:

A) change the poly rib belt & fuel filter after 30,000 miles and 6 years?

B) change them after 42,000 miles 7 years?

C) change them after 54,000 miles and 8 years?

change the polyrib belt whenever you want. mine lasted 110K miles before it broke. (i wanted to see how long it would go.) ;)

if the belt does snap, you'll lose the alternator, water pump, power brakes, a/c, etc.

the fuel filter is a 60K mile replacement.

i would just do it all at 60K and keep the old polyrib belt (in the car) as a spare. you can change the xmission fluid if you want, but it's not necessary. if you are having shifting/transmission problems, i would do it. otherwise, let it go until 90K. i just recently changed my xmission fluid at 125K and it looked just like the new fluid.

You will always find a great variety of answers to the type of questions that you ask. There are really two answers; either you follow the wisdom of the manufacturer or you follow your own beliefs. Personally, when it comes to what I deem to be reasonably priced maintenance items such as the poly rib belt, transmission fluid, engine oil, fuel filter etc. I tend to change these items more frequently than recommended. My theory is that you cannot damage a vehicle by changing the fluids, fuel filter, belts ....... too frequently. Am I wrong? Do I spend more money on maintenance than is necessary? Am I OCD? :unsure:

It is just something that I can live with

What are you comfortable with?

• Moderators

I have a 1997 with about 64,000 miles and have never replaced the belt ot filter. Living on the edge of death....

What is interesting to note is the 12,000 mile service intervals Porsche says for UK cars, while in the US it is 15,000 miles. And yes, a UK mile is the same as a US mile.

I have a 99 986 Tip and just did the polybelt and fuel filter last weekend at 70k. The belt was $+- 30 and took all of 15 minutes to do (this was my first time, can likely do it faster next time). The fuel filter was a little bit more of a pain but got in done in less than 1 hour.

For what it is worth, cheap insurance :)

I have a MY2000 base w/45000. Deflection roller broke last summer causing the belt to come off while driving. Lucky no other parts were damaged. Never opened the engine before so I was a lil hestitant to do repair. Changed roller & belt with no problem.