Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic - clunk when changing manually 2nd to 1st

Hi

I've got a 1998 996 tiptronic. Sometimes (often) if I change gear down from 2nd to 1st when I'm slowing down to stop (but not quite stopped yet - still moving but moving slowly) with my foot off the accelerator I get a distinct clunk as it goes into 1st gear.

It doesn't do it when it changes down in auto. It also doesn't usually do it if I am accelerating a little as I change down (rather than foot off the accelerator). It will also often stop doing it once I've made the change from 2nd to 1st a few times (I assume something is warming up?).

Anyway, my question is whether this is something that is normal or something to be concerned with? Have chatted with my dealer on it before and been brushed off, but it just doesn't seem like it should be something that is normal.

Cheers

Greg

Greg,

going from my memory on my 99 Tiptronic, it is normal. Going from Second to 1st.

Can I ask why you feel the need to do that manually? It seems like you may be unnecessarily putting strain on the running gear. I'm not trying to be an ***...literally just asking why!

Greg,

going from my memory on my 99 Tiptronic, it is normal. Going from Second to 1st.

Can I ask why you feel the need to do that manually? It seems like you may be unnecessarily putting strain on the running gear. I'm not trying to be an ***...literally just asking why!

I do it sometimes if I want to take off in 1st rather than 2nd. If the traffic lights look like they are about to change then can change down to 1st and roll along slowly as you approach waiting for it to turn green. I'm not talking about engine braking from high revs or anything like that, just changing down when I am already going quite slowly to get ready for taking off quickly again.

Greg,

I do it sometimes if I want to take off in 1st rather than 2nd. If the traffic lights look like they are about to change then can change down to 1st and roll along slowly as you approach waiting for it to turn green. I'm not talking about engine braking from high revs or anything like that, just changing down when I am already going quite slowly to get ready for taking off quickly again.

Got ya.

Greg,

Mine does it as well, but not all the time. It actually seems worse if you are going very slow/almost stopped.

Will

ditto - mine as well. it's annoying but I've learned to come to a complete stop before manually dropping to 1st.

Mine does this as well when my foot is off the accelerator. However, the shift from 2nd to 1st using manual tiptronic works well if under acceleration. I'd suggest that if the light turns green, step on the accelerator and then downshift from second to first, but you'll be hitting red line quite quickly so position your finger above the + button.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bring back to life an old thread, but does this clunk also applies to the 2002 models? It only "clunks" when using the buttons on the steering wheel at speeds of 5-6 mph or less when coming to a stop. If I am at a complete stop, foot on the brake, no clunk at all when placed in first gear. Just wanted to confirm that it is "normal" for the 2002+ cars also as it appears to be the case on the 98/99 cars

I found my answer on other sites. Apparently it is a "characteristic" of these transmissions. Perhaps this may help someone in the future researching this site as a reference point.

Lesson learned, only shift into first gear while either at a complete stop, or as you are accelerating hard, but never shift into first as you are slowly coasting to a stop, otherwise, you will hear/feel a clunk/thunk.

The dealership said the same thing of my 2002 Carrera TIP; finally, after complaining that I felt the clunk "hard downshift" was excessive, they changed the throttle body (under warranty) to the transmission, and lo and behold the clunk was gone for good.