Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hard top left marks?

I just removed the hardtop from my 04 996 Cab and noticed a mark on the softtop cover on the pasenger side back caused by the back edge of the hardtop rubbing on the paint - buffed 'most' of it out. I also noticed three indentations on the front of the soft top from three structural dimples in the hardtop. Nothing too serious, but this top is not supposed to do this. This was the first year I used the hardtop myself, so no idea if the previous owner ever put the top on.

Note that I was extra careful and torqued the bolts to 34ft/lbs. Any idea what the problem is? Should I get this looked at by my dealer before next winter?

Simon

I just removed the hardtop from my 04 996 Cab and noticed a mark on the softtop cover on the pasenger side back caused by the back edge of the hardtop rubbing on the paint - buffed 'most' of it out. I also noticed three indentations on the front of the soft top from three structural dimples in the hardtop. Nothing too serious, but this top is not supposed to do this. This was the first year I used the hardtop myself, so no idea if the previous owner ever put the top on.

Note that I was extra careful and torqued the bolts to 34ft/lbs. Any idea what the problem is? Should I get this looked at by my dealer before next winter?

Simon

There has been a report on here where an OPC had overtightened the hardtop when fitting once the car had completed the PDI on customer collection. On first removal, the rubber membrane that runs the perimeter of the hard top that touches the clamshell had work into the clear coat leaving a quite apparent mark. The OPC repaired it FoC and acknowledged the mistake.

The indentations, are they three equal sized circles around halfway on the soft top? If so, these circles that you see are for the bump stops on the underside of the clamshell. There is nothing that can be done about them unfortunately, and they seem to get worse if you'd lower the top when its slightly damp. Others have tried inserting a small material to protect the lining, but this will not allow the clamshell to settle flush when parked and may cause undue stress on the linkages.

The hardtop itself does not touch the soft top when installed.

Pop

Perhaps I just over-tightened the top. The side that rubbed the hard top cover clear-coat seemed low anyway. The torque was as per the user manual, and I could undo the bolts by hand afterwards. Is there an adjustment for the hard top clearance that anyone knows about? Seems like the posts that contain the locking screws would need to be moved since they set the height.

Simon