Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Might be the difference between a turbo and an S - but my '06 S runs 180F under any and all conditions (including 110F ambient in the Mohave desert at 90MPH, climbing into the Rockies from Boulder CO, driving that LONG uphill run between Las Vegas and LA at 115F, or stuck in I5 traffic in LA - all with the AC keeping the cabin at 72F.) It stays with the needle pointing straight up. Oil temps about the same, I've never seen > 200F on the oil temp.

If your temps are varying that much, or if it starts to heat up in stop and go I'd be very suspect of the thermostat. There isn't a lot else that could fail in the system if the fans are working correctly. I guess you might check that the AC condensor isn't plugged with bugs.. but other then that, it's a pretty simple cooling system and the electric fans take things like a fan-clutch out of the equation.

Edited by deilenberger

Here is the deal. The fans did kick in when the engine temperature reached around 200F(93C). So the coolant temperature sensor is not the problem. (The fans were switched off as soon as the temperature dropped below 200F)

But I did notice that the coolant temperature kept going up when the car was idling which doesn't sound normal considering the ambient temperature was only 70F.

Is the smaller fan running? AFAIK - that one is tied to the AC system, and is supposed to run whenever the AC system is active, which unless you press the "ECON" button on the control - is all the time.

Edited by deilenberger

• 1 month later...

Here is the deal. The fans did kick in when the engine temperature reached around 200F(93C). So the coolant temperature sensor is not the problem. (The fans were switched off as soon as the temperature dropped below 200F)

But I did notice that the coolant temperature kept going up when the car was idling which doesn't sound normal considering the ambient temperature was only 70F.

I have an 04 CTT, same thing. Unfortunately it is a normal thing....an easy way to stop this from happening is leave the AC ON (set a lower temperature with the fan setting on low).

this keeps the AC fan running and keeps temp in the middle. I agree, it makes any normal person nervous to see that needle go past center.

I always wondered if they did this for emissions purpose....i know some other companies are doing this now, run the motor slightly hotter, which allows for more leg room in the timing adjustments.

as long as your temp goes back to normal during cruising i think you're fine.

• 1 year later...

What is the lowest temp thermostat we can run and not throw codes? Another alternative might be an aluminum radiator (if anyone makes one for the Cayenne). I had one vehicle that ran chronically hot, even after the stock radiator was rodded and cored. The solution was swapping to an aluminum radiator in conjunction with a 160 degree thermostat, it ran 20-30F cooler after that - problem solved. Be-Cool is popular for stock american cars, but they don't have much if any inventory for imports.

Let me amend my last, I meant to say an all-aluminum radiator (tanks and core) possibly with more cores. I know the stock radiator is already aluminum with plastic tanks. My old radiator was two-core, the aluminum went to three core. Don't know if there is sufficient clearance to accommodate the additional thickness though... Sorry for the lack of clarity, on the first cup of coffee this morning.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just TWO cents for the coolant smell...

1.) Leaking Coolant Expansion Tank AKA CET  (Seams on CET start to fail over time)

2.)  There is also coolant that flows though your passenger side (glove box area) as part of the Heating and A/C system, I heard there can be coolant leaks from there as well but you should see some moisture in that area from the coolant leak.

• 8 years later...

Hi folks! Of late I have the same coolant temperature differential with my Cayenne Turbo ‘10. The needle used to be rock steady @ 80*C+1. Now it’s rising to up-to 100*C during stop n go and keeps fluctuating depending on driving conditions. However no pop up msg in red has come up so far. Surprisingly it’s about 25* weather here in Dubai now. Coolant levels are normal & no odors. Appreciate your inputs. Thanks.