Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How much oil should my 03 C4S use?

I am getting the oil changed next week for the first time since purchasing my '03 C4S, which I bought last month with 39,000 miles on it. (The prior owner had the oil last changed at 37,000 mi.). After this, I continue to plan on changing it every 3,000 miles.

I was wondering if anyone here knew how much oil the car should use in those 3,000 miles between oil changes? I would like to monitor the oil consumption.

Thanks!

Tommy, changing your oil every 3K miles is not only bad for your wallet and environment, but many expects believe is also bad for your engine, since "most" engine wear occurs early in the oil change cycle.

I would recommend changing your oil, with a Porsche approve oil, every year or between 7,500-10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Porsche says 1 quart in 1000 miles is acceptable.

It amazes me how some Porsches "burn" this amount of oil (as normal) while others (mine included) never require oil addidtion between changes. I think a lot of this excessive oil consumption is an indicator of how properly the engine was broken in during the infant stages (first 2,000 miles) of ownership. Just MHO.

I agree on the excessiveness of changing a synthetic oil every 3,000 miles. I had a Mercedes E320, and using Mobil 1 changed the oil only every 7,500-10,000 miles and put 140k miles on the car and the engine ran great and didn't even burn oil at that point. My wife had a Mercedes SLK 230, and its oil change interval was 11k miles. After 7 years, the engine ran perfectly on this schedule.

More recently, we have a 2006 BMW 325i and its first oil change was at 16,000 miles. The engine, approaching 29,000 miles is ready for its second oil change, and runs perfectly.

With my Porsche, I plan on following the interval of changing the oil either annually of at 7,500-10k miles, but certainly no more often then that. It's just not necessary.

John

Wow, I didn't know that excessive changing of synthetic oil could actually be bad. My last car was an '03 BMW X5 and I changed the oil (also synth) every 5,000 miles and it kept things nice.

Maybe this will become an annual event since I only plan on putting 7,000 miles on per year.

As far as the synth oil to use, any recommendations?

Tommy, changing your oil every 3K miles is not only bad for your wallet and environment, but many expects believe is also bad for your engine, since "most" engine wear occurs early in the oil change cycle.

I would recommend changing your oil, with a Porsche approve oil, every year or between 7,500-10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Agreed. Just too wasteful and expensive to do it this often.

And...of course...Mobil1.

My 03 does not use any oil between oil changes (maybe a little, but not noticeable on the stick). I usually change oil between the 7-10k range. The Mobil One certainly does not break down in that range and could probably last a lot longer (oil gets dirty, but does not wear out in between oil changes).

Changing every 3k is a waste of money & an environmental issue (as said before).