Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

neither ignition nor clutch switch

hi guys, now i am in desperation mode. few month back my 2000 boxster s started having problem with starting. the symptom was similar as the clutch switch where after insert the key and turn, everything lights up except engine. so i tried to make a bridge, suggestion from few knowledgeable members here, but didn't work. the other suggestion was the ignition switch because if i held the key in the 2 position long enough, any where from 10 to 30 seconds, engine will start. so i order the audi part and made the change 2 days ago but the same problem still there. guys please help. any other suggestions? what else can i try before i give up and take it to the shop.

hi guys, now i am in desperation mode. few month back my 2000 boxster s started having problem with starting. the symptom was similar as the clutch switch where after insert the key and turn, everything lights up except engine. so i tried to make a bridge, suggestion from few knowledgeable members here, but didn't work. the other suggestion was the ignition switch because if i held the key in the 2 position long enough, any where from 10 to 30 seconds, engine will start. so i order the audi part and made the change 2 days ago but the same problem still there. guys please help. any other suggestions? what else can i try before i give up and take it to the shop.

An easy trick to rule out the starter it self is to use a pair of jumper cables and run them directly from the battery (or any charged battery) to the starter. To do this, clip one end to the battery and being careful not to touch the 2 free leads together, run them back into the engine compartment (however you want rout it it)

Clamp the black negative to the engine block near the starter, then stab the red, hot cable clamp at the stud on the starter with the big lead going to it. Don't worry about any sparks, can't really hurt anything.

If that bumps your starter, its good. Disconnect the hot lead from the battery and leave the black ground attached on both ends. If it starts with the key, you have a bad ground. If not you can rule out the starter and the ground as your problem.

See if that help and be in touch, theres more you can do and I'm hungry...

Regards, PK

Edited by pk2

I would look for bad grounds too.

Suspect a ground near the engine/transmission.

The ground lead "jump" directly from the baterry ground to the block near the starter (or the starter housing itself) should bypass any and all ground problems, Unless of course there are dirty battery terminals in which case there would be a host of other symtoms when the key is ttwisted.

Regards, PK

Edited by pk2

• Moderators

I don't have electric schematics here, but is there no relays between the start motor solenoid and the ignition switch on a US version? Burned points give the same symptoms, a second option is a delay in the transmitter recognizing system, you can try with the spare remote/key, if you have the same result both remotes/keys ( sender ) are OK. The receiver pass test is a dealer job. Try pk2 suggestion first.

Success.