Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spare key keeps red LED ON all the time

Hello,

I have just 'serviced' the spare key of my 2003 Boxster S. (btw, I've bought the car just a coumple of months ago).

the old CR2032 battery had some rust on it, maybe the key got wet.

after carefully cleaning some rust inside, and replacing the batery with a new one, i've noticed that the red LED stays ON all the time (dim red, not bright red).

Now, the key with the new battery works OK, but I know the battery won't last long with the LED turned on all the time...

In the other hand, my other key works as it should: the LED is always off until I press any of the buttons.

any ideas or suggestions?

thank you guys!

• Admin

:welcome:

The is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that covers this.

"After replacing the battery, check if the remote control functions. If the remote control does not function, the processor could have stopped. If this is the case, the LED of the remote control either does

not light when the button is pressed or it lights continuously, i.e., longer than length of time the button is pressed. The processor must be restarted."

"2. Restarting the processor.

2.1 Remove battery as described under Step 1.2.

2.2 Inserting battery briefly with polarity reversed.

2.2.1 After a waiting time of at least 10 seconds, slide battery with the polarity of the battery reversed (positive terminal downwards) under the tab (Figure 1, arrow 2).

2.2.2 Clip battery downward into the holder.

2.2.3 After a waiting time of approx. 3 seconds, remove this incorrectly polarized battery again.

2.3 Install battery as described under Step 1.3.

2.4 Check the function of the remote control."

• 4 weeks later...

"After replacing the battery, check if the remote control functions. If the remote control does not function, the processor could have stopped. If this is the case, the LED of the remote control either does

not light when the button is pressed or it lights continuously, i.e., longer than length of time the button is pressed. The processor must be restarted."

2.2.1 After a waiting time of at least 10 seconds, slide battery with the polarity of the battery reversed (positive terminal downwards) under the tab (Figure 1, arrow 2).

2.2.3 After a waiting time of approx. 3 seconds, remove this incorrectly polarized battery again.

Loren: Thanks so much for the TSB. I tried all that and now no lights work. What next?

zlawman;2001 Boxster;seal grey;tip

• Admin

Loren: Thanks so much for the TSB. I tried all that and now no lights work. What next?

And your problem is the same as the first poster? The light stayed on all the time?

And your problem is the same as the first poster? The light stayed on all the time?

Yes, it did. I took the battery out to kill the light and after replcement,it doesn't work at all.

Well, you can try a new battery but the keyhead may be bad.

Does your second key work fine?

Just bot a new battery. Same results. no lights. Is there a way to check the keyhead or do I have to buy a new one. I'll try the spare when I get home from work

Again, thanks Loren

Well, you can try a new battery but the keyhead may be bad.

Does your second key work fine?

Just bot a new battery. Same results. no lights. Is there a way to check the keyhead or do I have to buy a new one. I'll try the spare when I get home from work

Again, thanks Loren

Loren: The spare I now recall never worked. When I went to the car and pressed the rear trunk opening button, it did work once---no red light. Do you think that the contacts maybe worn down so that they are not meeting on the push of the button or do I need a new head.

zlawman

Yes to both.

Sometimes you can open those up and clean them up and bend them a little and get another 6 months out of them. Otherwise you likely need a new key head.

Thank you very much for your wisdom and patience

zlawman

Yes to both.

Sometimes you can open those up and clean them up and bend them a little and get another 6 months out of them. Otherwise you likely need a new key head.

Thank you very much for your wisdom and patience

zlawman

Loren: Once more please. I took the board out of thr key head and pressed the two trunk buttons. Both flashed the diode. The large button did not work so I took the top contact off and jumped the two metal portions with a paper clip. The result was the diode worked. It looks like that button is worn down and does not make contact. How do I find a replcement for the small contact. A local dealer quoted $230 for a new key with programming. Any ideas?

Thanks again

zlawman

• Moderators

One of my switches was not working all the time. It is soldered to the circuit board, and one of the solder joints had broken. I was able to solder it. That was 9 years ago and it still works.

I have also seen the switch break off the circuit board.

Check to see if you have a bad solder joint, and that is why the switch is not working. If the switch itself has gone bad then I know of no replacement. Time for a new remote unless someone can find a source for just the switches. Porsche does not sell them, just the entire remote.

One of my switches was not working all the time. It is soldered to the circuit board, and one of the solder joints had broken. I was able to solder it. That was 9 years ago and it still works.

I have also seen the switch break off the circuit board.

Check to see if you have a bad solder joint, and that is why the switch is not working. If the switch itself has gone bad then I know of no replacement. Time for a new remote unless someone can find a source for just the switches. Porsche does not sell them, just the entire remote.

Tool Pants: I can mkae the diode light by jumping the connection with a paper clip, so I dont think there's a bad solder joint. I just put a call into my local indie to see if he's got a bad head and perhaps take off the top of the switch and substitute it. Looks like a trip to the local dealer.

Thanks for the input

zlawman

• Moderators

I did not think about that.

Just about every time I am at the dealer there is someone there with a bad remote.

One of the mechanics I know has a draw of bad remotes. He gave me one to play around with.

Hope you are good at soldering small things to a circuit board.

post-4-1209797295_thumb.jpg