Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine won't start (sometimes)

My 2000 Boxster has beeen refusing to start lately. It cranks and just won't fire. It's like it's not getting spark for some reason. When you let it set, it sometimes fires right up and has no problem. It also sometimes won't start on first, second, or more tries, and then fires up on subsequent tries. It seems to be random, because sometimes it immediately fires. Once started, it runs fine though.

Any thoughts?

My 2000 Boxster has beeen refusing to start lately. It cranks and just won't fire. It's like it's not getting spark for some reason. When you let it set, it sometimes fires right up and has no problem. It also sometimes won't start on first, second, or more tries, and then fires up on subsequent tries. It seems to be random, because sometimes it immediately fires. Once started, it runs fine though.

Any thoughts?

Andy:

You started this thread under the heading of "987 Boxster Top Issues and Solutions". You should try to get this moved to the correct sub-forum to maximize responses.

On the topic... Have you noticed any unusual electrical glitches lately?

Also, locate the clutch disengage switch (behind the clutch pedal) and jump the two wires (to bypass the switch) and see if you get consistent starting.

If you do, then you have isolated the problem and replacing that switch is pretty straightforward.

Regards, Maurice.

Happened to my 1998 boxster a few years back after it sat for 2 months. I called the dealer and they had me keep the key in the starting cranking position with the gas pedal down to the floor until it started. A puff of smoke came out and it started and has ran well for 5 years now.

• 3 months later...
Happened to my 1998 boxster a few years back after it sat for 2 months. I called the dealer and they had me keep the key in the starting cranking position with the gas pedal down to the floor until it started. A puff of smoke came out and it started and has ran well for 5 years now.

What this does(on the cars I have worked on, may be diff for porsche) when you got WOT with koeo, then go to koer position is it cuts ALL fuel to the injectors, helping/trying to remove any unburnt fuel in the cylinders

Any thoughts?

Andy,

I have this same problem with my Boxster, a while back and now every time I refuel. Do you have an evap cannister fault code? If so you may be getting a potential vapor lock due to any/all of the following:

Charcoal cannister

Vente tube

FUel filler neck shutoff /purge valve

All located inside RH wheel liner by the filler neck. This may help...I have the P/N's too.

Chris

00 Boxster

161K miles

• 1 year later...

i just experienced this exact same problem... without warning, the engine cranked fine but it just wouldn't start. battery power was good. fuel pressure was good. after searching thru the forum and thinking that it might be the immobilizer, i took Zjuan17's advice and held the gas pedal down while cranking the engine... sure enough, in about a minute, the Boxster fired up and has been running solid since. unbelievable! thanks everyone!

-dg

• 2 weeks later...