Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Reputable aftermarket warranty? Porsche extension possible?

This is a digression from my previous post with the expressed purpose of getting a more pointed answer on the matter of engine failures and peace of mind.

It is my understanding that most warranties are provided by companies with low or false financial reserves, the chances of them being around in a few years is about the same as the chance that my engine will fail, and that even fewer are exclusive warranties that everything except what they expressly exclude from coverage.

So, are there any warranties out there that have been known to be able to cover these engine issues without legal battles from a company that has been around and will be around?

Also, on a 1999 C2 with 34,000 miles is it possible to purchase a warranty from Porsche to cover the engine issues? If so, how and how much?

I am desperate to find a satisfying answer to this question so that I may convince myself to get my own 996 and enjoy all of the commuting that I have to do, so any help is much appreciated. Googling "aftermarket warranties" comes up with plenty of advertisements or hits, and bragging about financial backing and so forth but I was hoping to cut to the chase and find one that has been known to do the deed.

This is a digression from my previous post with the expressed purpose of getting a more pointed answer on the matter of engine failures and peace of mind.

It is my understanding that most warranties are provided by companies with low or false financial reserves, the chances of them being around in a few years is about the same as the chance that my engine will fail, and that even fewer are exclusive warranties that everything except what they expressly exclude from coverage.

So, are there any warranties out there that have been known to be able to cover these engine issues without legal battles from a company that has been around and will be around?

Also, on a 1999 C2 with 34,000 miles is it possible to purchase a warranty from Porsche to cover the engine issues? If so, how and how much?

I am desperate to find a satisfying answer to this question so that I may convince myself to get my own 996 and enjoy all of the commuting that I have to do, so any help is much appreciated. Googling "aftermarket warranties" comes up with plenty of advertisements or hits, and bragging about financial backing and so forth but I was hoping to cut to the chase and find one that has been known to do the deed.

I just did a lot of research on the warranties and ended up buying an aftermarket warranty from Carchex. I have a 1999 C2 Cabriolet with 48K miles. I went for the OEM warranty which is the equivalent of the standard Porsche warranty and covers everything outside of regular maintenance. It was around $3500 and is good for 4 years or until 75K on the clock. It is transferrable for $50. If you think you are going to get one, let me know as I think there is a referral bonus :)

Good luck.

I asked around several dealerships in my area and most of them go with JM&A Group/Fidelity Warranty Services. Apparently, they have no issues with claims with them and proceed with required work based on advice by the service advisor. I got the Platinum "exclusionary" Plan for my 2004 C4S with 38K miles on it but have yet to make any claims to comment on how reliable they are.

AFAIK, it isn't backed by an insurance company but know that FWS is backed by JM&A, a supposedly financially strong business that also undertakes the warranty for all new Audi/VW vehicles in the East Coast. I couldn't really find out much more about them and went with them based on recommendation of local Porsche dealerships (the Service Departments who deal with the warranty companies and not just their Finance Department). Also, they seem to have fewer complaints than others in forums although that doesn't mean they are good!

I paid $3K incl tax for a 2 year plan but had to be extended from the then existing Factory Warranty for that rate.

Sorry, but if an aftermarket warranty is what you need to buy a 996 then please walk away and buy a Honda or something else you will be much happier.

I sort of agree with this to an extent. Although i would add that a good warrantee is piece of mind for anything 'major'.

The question about a Porsche warrantee asked in the original post, they only warrantee cars up to 9 years old and 125000mls (in UK anyway). With less than this, you first have to have a Porsche inspection carried out at around £230 for them to see if any work needs doing on the car before they allow you to purchase the warrantee. If you are lucky like i was, nothing was wrong then you part with a further £895 per annum for the warrantee..........

And what is with the unnecessary comments about how if I am interested in buying a car with a well publicized potential engine defect under a warranty that protects me from a financial disaster that I would somehow be better driving a Honda? So all of the time I spent at the track with my M Coupe learning about driving would have been better spent on a hybrid because now that my next car interest is in a vehicle with a measurable risk I may as well conduct a personal penisectomy, put it in a high-yield savings account and call it a day?

Or is it that you are such a hardcore a p-car dude that even your "I don't give a f*** if my engine explodes because I will just power the car with my titanic-ego and if you don't have the liquid assets to cover a blown engine at any time you should be driving a honda" elitist swagger makes you feel better about yourself?

So I am interested in a warranty so that I can enjoy my car without fear of a 13-20k bill for a blown engine, so what? So get a Honda? So all of the sudden calculated risk management is incompatible with wanting to own a sports car? What exactly is it in this particular forum that inspires a select few people to make comments like this to visitors coming here with a genuine interest in their vehicle looking for advice to formulate a plan to ensure their ownership and enjoyment of said vehicle is a fruitful one? Everyone else recognizes the issue and offers constructive information.

It's not like this is a ricer board or something that attracts such a demographic.

Edited by Lightfall

So if the car is 8 years old I can only get the coverage until it turns 9 years old? Or can I get it at 8 and carry it to say, 12?

Either the warrantee stops when it hits 9 years (even if you havent had your 12 months worth) or you cannot continue it after nine years, which will make maximum age 10 years. Have a chat with you OPC.

As i said, i have the OPC warrantee and although expensive for the last 3 years, i have got my money back maybe 3-4 times over with niggling problems (nothing major, but labour intensive as always!) so for me a warrantee was worth while. And as you said in your last post above, if you have a 20k engine bill, it at least covers that. At the end of the day, not many people can afford that and those that can change their P-car every two years (or less) and an 'extended warrantee' doesnt then come into play. Hope this helps you make a decision.

LIGHTFALL. I follow your train of thought, but dude...most of the questions you are asking you can get by yourself. Just call a freaking warrantee company already and get some answers. No one can "measure" or limit your risk for you. Buy it or don't already.

bmohr

bmohr; yes, because calling the warranty company is always the best measure of their reputability. That is like asking your waiter if the chicken florentine is good. Sadly most warranty companies are about as reliable as Diamond Jim's used car salesmen.

And yes, people can measure AND limit my risk for me. You measure it by taking a good look at the perceived rate of failure, matching it up against a reputable warranty company and then limit it by getting the most appropriate warranty.

LightFall --

The folks who I would talk to about experiences warranty companies are your mechanics. Refer to them for horror stories and screaming acolades. Then talk to the warranty company about claims procedures and what documentation is needed to expedite the claim. Do they have specific requirements for mechanics and does your fall with in the guidelines? Who is making the direct payment to the mechanic? You or them? If them does your mechanic want to deal with this paper work? Also find out from them what is guaranting their warranty? Is there anything that stops them from declaring backruptcy and walking away with your intial payment? What about preesisting conditions?

After all this talk about warranties, I thought I would just get a quote from AA Waranty company for $3,061.00 4 years /81000 miles. I have not discussed anything else regarding what this will cover or any of the questions above.

2000 Porsche 911 CARRERA/NON TURBO 33000 Miles

Pennsylvania

Plan : IAP Essential

Term : 48 Month(s) or 81000 miles on odometer

Standard Deductible: $100

Available options that may interest you :

$0 Deductible : $495

$50 Deductible : $245

$200 Deductible : $-265

Hitech Coverage : $200

Tire Coverage : $100

Electronics Package : $75

Thanks

Tom

I know I posted about my warranty through www.insurancepoliciesonline.com in the past. It was a positive review, and I have more to add to it.

I took my car in yesterday for an oil change and a leaky power steering fluid hose. Warranty was to cover the work. A few hours went by, and the service manager called me to tell me that my RMS was leaking as well, but warranty company said they would cover the repairs. I also decided that this would be a great opportunity to do a clutch job, while they have the tranny out for the RMS.

Total cost of the repairs was supposed to be a little over $3,000. But thanks to the warranty, I think I'll end up paying something like $900 for the clutch kit and the oil change. So I think in the 8 months I've owned my warranty policy, I've already recovered the cost of the warranty plan... and more.

Edited by masq