Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Name that 930?

osiris2600

I'm having trouble determining the details regarding a particular car I am trying to purchase. The listing says that it is a 1976 930. Now it's my understanding that prior to 78 the turbo models had "Turbo Carrera" written on the tail while post 78 has just "Turbo". The only other explanation I can come up with is that the previous owner did modifications such as adding the 3.3L 78-86 engine. Basically I need to know if this could possibly be a stock 76 930 with a 3.3L engine or is it modified 76 with a 3.3L engine.

Thanks, I have uploaded the only two pics available.

post-30205-1208497623.jpg

post-30205-1208497632.jpg

The first Porsche Turbo was introduced as a 1975 model at the Paris Auto Show. In the USA this was know as a Turbo Carrera. These were built untill 1977 and had a 3.0-liter engine rated at 245 HP. The non US model had 15 extra HP, mainly due to a thermal reactor exhaust and air injection pump.

The next generation of the the Turbo was in 1978 with 300 HP, in Europe. This had a 3.3-liter engine and added an intercooler. US versions were rated at 265 HP. This Turbo had 4 piston brake calipers and cross drilled rotors. The best way to distinguish a second gen car is by the larger grill area on the whale tail. This was for more air into the intercooler.

The 1979 and 1980 models were the last of the Turbos brought to the US through regular Porsche dealerships. During the years 1980-1985 Porsche continued to develope the 930 for other markets. This time period reflected a gray market in the US and were individually federalized.

In 1986 the car was officially reintroduced in the US market. The 1986 US model had 282 HP with a new exhaust, catalytic converters, and oxygen-sensor fuel control.

There were no Turbos for the 1990 MY. In 1991 Porsche introduced the turbocharged Carrera 2.

In 1994 the Turbo became a 3.6 with 365 HP.

The 1996 Turbo began the 993 series.

-October 2007 Excellence (page 126)

The first Porsche Turbo was introduced as a 1975 model at the Paris Auto Show. In the USA this was know as a Turbo Carrera. These were built untill 1977 and had a 3.0-liter engine rated at 245 HP. The non US model had 15 extra HP, mainly due to a thermal reactor exhaust and air injection pump.

The next generation of the the Turbo was in 1978 with 300 HP, in Europe. This had a 3.3-liter engine and added an intercooler. US versions were rated at 265 HP. This Turbo had 4 piston brake calipers and cross drilled rotors. The best way to distinguish a second gen car is by the larger grill area on the whale tail. This was for more air into the intercooler.

The 1979 and 1980 models were the last of the Turbos brought to the US through regular Porsche dealerships. During the years 1980-1985 Porsche continued to develope the 930 for other markets. This time period reflected a gray market in the US and were individually federalized.

In 1986 the car was officially reintroduced in the US market. The 1986 US model had 282 HP with a new exhaust, catalytic converters, and oxygen-sensor fuel control.

There were no Turbos for the 1990 MY. In 1991 Porsche introduced the turbocharged Carrera 2.

In 1994 the Turbo became a 3.6 with 365 HP.

The 1996 Turbo began the 993 series.

-October 2007 Excellence (page 126)

All this I already knew, but this doesn't answer the question regarding this particular car. I'm told it's a 76 but it has the "larger grill area" on the whale tail. So my question is, what kind of engine does this car have because it was my impression that the 3.0L did not have that whale tail shown in the pic.

the non intercooler cars had a regular low whale tail, this car has the larger tail to fit the intercooler. the only way to tell if it is a motor swap or modified is to get the engine number.

a little more trivia , the reason the 930 turbos were not sold in the US for a while is that a woman in Ca. sued Porsche when she lost control of the car and crashed. Porsche agreed not to sell 930 turbos anymore in the US.

well then came the name change to 911 turbo and started selling them in the US

The car has an engine swap. Porsche did not use the 3.3 untill the 1978 MY. Pretty straigh forward to me.

Thanks, I figured as much but I wasn't 100% sure. I knew that the 3.3L wasn't until 78 but I really didn't know if people bothered to swap the newer engines. So thats why I was a little confused. I'm somewhat new to the early model Porsche's but I fell in love with this one once I saw it.

This is a good site, If i end up buying this car I will definitely use this site as a resource. Thanks guys.

Edited by osiris2600

osiris2600, nice looking car. Great color. I am looking for a 1996 or 1997 Turbo in that color (Arena Red). If the engine swap was done properly on that car, it could be a good thing. Check it out in person. Don't forget, you are not just buying the car, but also the seller.

osiris2600, nice looking car. Great color. I am looking for a 1996 or 1997 Turbo in that color (Arena Red). If the engine swap was done properly on that car, it could be a good thing. Check it out in person. Don't forget, you are not just buying the car, but also the seller.

Yea the color is great. The car is not in running condition so when I go look at it i'll see whats what. My father, who is an experienced mechanic, spoke to the person who currently has the car and he said it might be a blown turbo. Which probably isn't that big of a deal since I planned on upgrading the turbo anyways.

I'll be happy as long as there no real major Engine damage, pistons, heads, etc.. When I go look at it is there anything in particular I should look out for?

it could be the original block with bigger pistons and cylinders, the engine number will tell that.

blown turbo = bad news lots of little pieces of metal all in the engine, I've seen pieces get by the rings and really tear up cylinders.

fun car though, when that big turbo kicks in you really feel it, not like the current turbos that come on quick and gentle

it could be the original block with bigger pistons and cylinders, the engine number will tell that.

blown turbo = bad news lots of little pieces of metal all in the engine, I've seen pieces get by the rings and really tear up cylinders.

fun car though, when that big turbo kicks in you really feel it, not like the current turbos that come on quick and gentle

Yea I will take a look at the engine number when I go.

As for performance upgrades http://www.powerhaus.com/911.htm is the only site I have found. Has anyone had any experience with them?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I went to bid on this car and it went for about 13k. It had a blown engine with a lot of upgrades to the engine. I bid around 8k but I just felt that 13k was too high. Even though it was a 76 it had the 3.3L engine.

What do you guys think. Was 13k to high or am i just cheap?