Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Putting the car back on the road

serpico

Hi guys, I hope you all can help me with some guidance. My brother used to be the 'go-to guy' but now that he's moving to Detroit, I need to either do some stuff myself or pay someone else. It's a 76 911S turbo wide body.

The car has been sitting for 15 years. Before this, I drove it and close to home it stopped running. Had to get it towed. My brother thinks it had something to do with the gaskets being worn. He never was able to check, so could be anything.

My question here is to ask everyone their suggestions for a list I'm compiling of things to get done to get the car road ready. New battery most likely, etc...

I'm planning to insure it and drive it once a week, like a Sunday driver until it gets totally restored.

Thanks in advance.

:welcome:

Sorry, I am confused is it a turbo or a 911S?

and, I assume you were not trying to run the 15 year old gas?

I believe the car is a 911s or coupe as per my searches on the VIN number online. I think the previous owner installed the turbo flares and tail. I know there are many things that probably need to be looked at like tires, fluids and etc. I used to depend on my brother, but I think I'll need to learn some basics to do it myself and get professional help when needed.

Just needed some guidance to make a list and slowly get it back on the road. Thanks.

• Admin

Well, if it has been sitting for 15 years then I would replace the brake fluid, transmission oil, oil/filter, and tires. And if gas has been sitting in the tank then you likely want to drain it and have the tank professionally cleaned inside.

I would also likely change the spark plugs, and adjust the valves. Check the brake discs for signs of rust or corrosion.

PM me the VIN and I'll see what I can find on it.

Well, if it has been sitting for 15 years then I would replace the brake fluid, transmission oil, oil/filter, and tires. And if gas has been sitting in the tank then you likely want to drain it and have the tank professionally cleaned inside.

I would also likely change the spark plugs, and adjust the valves. Check the brake discs for signs of rust or corrosion.

Thanks Loren. Sorry for the late reply but I was waiting for an email notification but didn't get one. Is the forum set up for this?

• Admin

Thanks Loren. Sorry for the late reply but I was waiting for an email notification but didn't get one. Is the forum set up for this?

In the option button on the right side you select to "subscribe" to a topics or a complete forum.

If you later want to turn that off - just go to your My Controls area and change it under "Subscriptions".

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Give it a good service before doing anything. I would say change the oil, the oil filter and the fuel and fuel filter before attempting to start the engine. You might also want to remove the plugs (disconnect the battery) and turn the engine over by hand to make sure everything is free to rotate.

Thanks for the info. I just got it towed over to my home today from my parent's garage. Been sitting there all these years, so I'm sure they're happy to gain the extra room back! My brother and I are going to go over it next and make a list of what needs to be done. Fluids of course are number one!

• 1 month later...

so whatever happened with this? did you have to change a lot of things?

I'm actually in the same exact situation. My father's '79 930 has been sitting for the past 10 years (or a little more) and is actually willing to get it fixed for me. I've been waiting to drive this thing for the past 23 years! I think a couple years ago we tried starting it and it wouldn't hold an idle, but it was run if we kept our foot on the gas. Now knowing that gas goes bad, I fear the damage that we've done!

Hope your project is coming along....

• 1 year later...

Been almost a year since I posted here and not much has happened. I did get my brother to help me roll the car out and wash it throughly and clay bar & wax it. He gave me an estimate of cost for what we need to to just get it safe to drive like new tires and brakes and shocks. The engine still needs a look at and the fuel drained and oil change and spark plugs.

One question I had is about the battery. I have an original Porsche battery that was new back in the early 90's I had bought but is it worth reconditioning it or what ever the process is called? There is a good battery place that does this type of job if it's possible to do.

If I need to buy a new one, does anyone know what the right model specs of the battery I need to buy if it's not an original Porsche battery? Is it a smart or ok idea to use other brand batteries on a 76 911?

• 4 weeks later...

The battery I have listed in my Pet program for the 76 911 was 999-611-023-90 which has been superseded by 928-611-101-00 (which is a 66 aH battery, same as my 1984 - hope it helps..

Edited by Skip