Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hood Crest Gasket Too Small

I've moved this up here so you don't have to search through the posts. This is my proposed method for getting the gasket to fit on the hood crest:

-Put the bottom point of the crest through the hole on the gasket so that the bottom of the rubber is under the emblem and the top of the rubber is on the top of the crest

-Match the lip around the bottom edge and hold it

-Put it on your hood with the edge matched around the bottom but the gasket still above the crest on the top of the crest

-Tighten the two nuts of the bottom, but do not tighten them all the way since you will need room for some of the gasket, and be careful not to scratch your hood since the metal of the top part of the crest is exposed to the hood

-Once tightened down enough, hold the bottom of the gasket down around the point of the crest and pull the rest of it over the top of the crest

-The gasket should now be completely around the lip of the crest

-Tighten the nuts down a little more, but don't over tighten

-return 0;

Be careful not to dent your hood!! I think they are made of aluminum, so they would be easy to damage compared to steel. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

And someone tell me if this is impossible to understand and I'll fix it. I know that I know what tops and bottoms I'm talking about, but I know some of you may get lost

Here is my original message asking for help:

I just received a replacement hood gasket from pelican parts,. I ordered a new one since mine looked shrunken. Well I got this and this one, while a little bigger than the old one, still doesn't fit around my hood crest. Do I have to do anything special? Is it not even supposed to fit into the little ledge?

Here's some cell phone pics:

post-29016-1209616876_thumb.jpg

post-29016-1209616889_thumb.jpg

Edited by carDorque

• Admin

You need three hands and fingernails - it will stretch to fit. ;)

Last time I put one on my wife had to hold two sides while I held two sides to keep it flat while I put the fastener on.

It might held to warm it up by putting under warm water first.

Ok I got it, and I think I found a better way to do it. I tried just holding it down with four hands, but I couldn't get it to work.

Here's the way I did it:

-Put the bottom point of the crest through the hole on the gasket so that the bottom of the rubber is under the emblem and the top of the rubber is on the top of the crest

-Match the lip around the bottom edge and hold it

-Put it on your hood with the edge matched around the bottom but the gasket still above the crest on the top of the crest

-Tighten the two nuts of the bottom, but do not tighten them all the way since you will need room for some of the gasket, and be careful not to scratch your hood since the metal of the top part of the crest is exposed to the hood

-Once tightened down enough, hold the bottom of the gasket down around the point of the crest and pull the rest of it over the top of the crest

-The gasket should now be completely around the lip of the crest

-Tighten the nuts down a little more, but don't over tighten

-return 0;

Be careful not to dent your hood!! I think they are made of aluminum, so they would be easy to damage compared to steel. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

And someone tell me if this is impossible to understand and I'll fix it. I know that I know what tops and bottoms I'm talking about, but I know some of you may get lost.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into the same problem...

I could make the gasket fit, but as soon as I moved my fingers to let the gasket/crest assembly lie flush on the hood, the gasket would slip partially under the crest...

so there I am with the assembly loosely fastened to the hood.

now i took my trusty old spark plug gapper... the type with the metal leaves

I took used the thinnest one on mine (i think was .006)

I was able to work it in the gap, and work the gasket out and around the crest.

good luck

• 1 month later...

I'd like to replace mine, but I'm having trouble with the part number. So far I have found 993.559.211.00 and 996.559.211.00, can anyone confirm the '99 C2 has a 993 crest? I've seen some online parts catalogs claim 996.559.211.01 for '95+ cars. Just a general curiosity: does anyone know the meaning of the last two digits in a Porsche part number? So far as I can tell, .00 and .01 parts are usually the same thing.

• Admin
I'd like to replace mine, but I'm having trouble with the part number. So far I have found 993.559.211.00 and 996.559.211.00, can anyone confirm the '99 C2 has a 993 crest? I've seen some online parts catalogs claim 996.559.211.01 for '95+ cars. Just a general curiosity: does anyone know the meaning of the last two digits in a Porsche part number? So far as I can tell, .00 and .01 parts are usually the same thing.

Either will work fine. 996.559.211.00 has replaced 993.559.211.00.

In many (but not all cases) the last two numbers are revision numbers.