Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

You are invited to a Work on Cars Day

Last minute input for the Work on Cars Day: Beverages and food..............

Depending upon how long you plan on being at the Borden's....you should plan on bringing the beverage of your choosing in a small ice chest and a sandwich or munchies if you are going to be there thru lunch, or for an extended period of time. We also have the option of chipping in and someone making a pizza run to the closest parlor which is only about 5 miles away.

Loren will be bringing some specialty Porsche tools along with his PST2 and PIWIS software programs, and I'll bring a complete set of metric sockets in 1/2; 3/8; and 1/4 drives and extra sets of jackstands. Dave (Borden) also has tools onsite. Since there may be a number of projects going on at any time, please remember to carefullly check your car or engine compartment for sockets or borrowed tools and return them as soon as you are done....it's so easy to forget a screwdriver or socket and slam your hood down....ask me how I know???

Chuck

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey all...

Doug, no problem on the Pizza's. Mary and I are happy to make a costco run and pick up some burgers and buns and we can BBQ in the noon-one time frame if that sounds good to folks also. It might be fun break. Either way is fine with us...

David

Rich & I are planning on being there... but my car might not be able to make it (I think something might be horribly wrong with it). But I'll be there to help out with anything that I can. Looking forward to seeing everyone, and meeting all the new folks. Thanks to David & Mary for hosting!

Anne

Addendum to last minute info.....When I said that I'd be bringing some socket sets and jackstands and that David had tools also, I didn't mean that no one needed to bring any tools they might have to do simple tasks...i.e screwdrivers, socket set, open and box end metrics etc...if we end up with a lot of folks, we may end up with a minor shortage, although if there are only 10-12 cars we should be able to pass them around....BUT if you have a small tool bag that's easily portable... please feel free to bring it along.

Chuck

Hey Chuck, I'm Dave's coworker and he mentioned about the work on car day you're organizing. My boxster has a check engine light and I would like to come and borrow someone's engine code checker. I've been having problems with my air mass sensor before so I'm not sure if it's still the case now or not. Count me in if there's room still!

Bill

Bill: You are welcomed to join this illustrious group for a check of your DME. Loren will be bringing both his PST2 and his PIWIS software and computer for readouts of codes and a bit of history of your car....like over revs etc.

Please PM Loren for directions to the meet-up....It promises to be a fun day with lots of informaton exchanged. I think that one benefit will be for those of you who have never laid a wrench on your cars....you'll find that watching others is a confidence builder that will help you take on some of the simpler tasks that will end up saving you quite a bit in service $$$$.

Chuck

Just an FYI, Mary and I will be providing some basic fair to eat. Burgers and Dogs... If you want to BBQ something else, you're welcome to bring it and cook it up. If you have a special bevrage you like bring it along and we can throw it in the shop fridge.

See you all tomorrow...

David

I'd like to thank the Borden's for hosting the event and their willingness to work with my mistake. Your air gun is awesome!

Kirk THANK YOU! I really appreciate your help. There is no way possible I could have done that without you. It was nice to meet you and Alex.

Loren thanks for testing the car out for me. Nice to finally put a face with a member who has been helping me out and giving me advice for awhile.

I was also nice to see some other familiar faces I've met in the past.

These are the types of events that give people confidence to work on their cars......unless you forget to torque lug bolts :D. If you ever want to learn about your car or see some neat cars just head out to a Work On Card Day!

Edited by blinkwatt

• Admin

A special Thank You to both David and Mary for graciously hosting us at your lovely home (in beautiful El Dorado hills). And, for providing the excellent lunch!

I think we had an excellent turn out for our first "big" Work On Cars Day. I counted 15 total cars that came and went during the day.

Short shifters to bumper cleaning to airbag lights to suspension changes to just a lot of Porsche talk- a good time for all.

Thanks everyone for coming up to our home yesterday! Mary and I had a great time meeting you all, and it was a fun day for us. The neat thing about cars is they bring people together, and I can say for certain that the Porsche folks we met yesterday are great company and just good decent people.

Thanks again for Chuck and Loren for bringing this together, you really organized a great event.

I tried to take a few pictures through the day, and Mary even managed to take time to smell the flowers ;)

http://www.gtmbuild.com/galleries/misc/SAC_WOCD1/

If the community is interested, we are willing to host an event quarterly.

David and Mary Borden

P.S. Loren, or Chuck feel free to post these pics elsewhere if you desire.

First of all I'd like to start off with most sincere thanks to Dave and Mary for so graciously opening up their home (and that garage that guy's dream of) to the WOCD group. For our first local effort in the Sacramento area, it turned out to be a really great meet-up with folks from as far as Redding!! That's what I would call a good draw. And a hearty congratulations to Ann for fixing her own water pump BEFORE the WOCD just so she could drive up there and meet all the folks. Way to go girl!!

Secondly, Dave and Mary exceeded expectations with the lunch and munchies as well as the wonderful facilities that allowed all sorts of fix-it projects to be going on simultaneously. This first effort has allowed us to see what sorts of projects can reasonably be done within the timeframes....as well as get the word out to the Porsche community that future WOCD events will be held. Having a lift with all of the attendant "stuff" to do the projects with was a major plus....and something that doesn't come around all the time.

Since Dave and Mary have once again graciously extended the invitation to make this a quarterly event...I would say that we might start planning on holding another one at some point in the future after appropriate coordination thru Loren and the Bordens. I am just a conduit.....Loren's RennTech website is the place to go for the notifications and updates on when the next one will be held.

Bottom line is again BIG thank you to Dave and Mary and Loren for coordinating and hosting this event.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Jones

Many thanks to all it was a great event. Looking forward to another one - just got to think of what to do next (maybe some headers...).

The B&M short Shift in the 997 is more complex than the 986 or 996 (according to our expert Loren), at the mid point I had a lot of interior trim pieces out of the car, the difference is that you have to remove more trim in the current models than the 996 and in the cab you have to remove the Bose Woofer. The job took a while but we learned a lot and if I did one again it would be fairly straight forward.

The shifter is very nice I am very happy; I no longer have to do a long distance haul going from 1 to 2, 3 to 4 or 5 to 6! The mechanical effort has increased a little but the whole thing is very smooth.

Next mods may be headers and I am thinking about an X51 air intake, I just like the look of it!

Nice to meet all of you!

• Admin
The B&M short Shift in the 997 is more complex than the 986 or 996 (according to our expert Loren), at the mid point I had a lot of interior trim pieces out of the car, the difference is that you have to remove more trim in the current models than the 996 and in the cab you have to remove the Bose Woofer. The job took a while but we learned a lot and if I did one again it would be fairly straight forward.

Yes, I do not think is any harder than a 986/996 but you have to remove more - especially if it is a Cab with the BOSE woofer in right front tunnel.

Coupe would likely be quicker (I would guess 30-45 minutes for those experienced) but I would say with a Cab and BOSE add 15-20 minutes to remove and then install the extra parts.

Of course we know this now since Martin's car was a Cab with BOSE.

Again a BIG thanks to Dave and Mary for putting this WOCD on for us!!! Lunch AND dinner were great guys and thanks again so much for being patient while we continued to trouble shoot problems after the planned close of the day's activities.

Sorry I couldn't get around more to check out other's cars, show Robert step by step what I was doing with his suspension, or just BS in general. With Alex and I showing up late we really had to put our noses to the grind stone to get the suspension swap done. Dave, your air tools really helped and Robert thanks a bunch for working with Alex to get the springs off - that really helped to make the job go faster.

Guys, I can't begin to tell you what a great day Alex and I had together at the WOCD. My son lives in Indiana and I only get to see him at the big school breaks - Christmas, Easter, and summer. He had a GREAT time getting his hands dirty with Dad and Robert. Definitely a good father-son time. The ride home was fun too. I had a REALLY hot chick checking me out, but Alex says she was looking at the car! :rolleyes: We got quite a few reactions from other drivers on the highway too because of the Gemballa body kit. It made Alex pretty proud, which really made me feel good then. It's nice to enjoy your Porsche, to enjoy driving it, and to enjoy wrenching on it, but it's 100 times better to share that enjoyment with the ones you love. :)

• Admin
Loren: How in the heck do you get a -1 Stage 1 overrev? Does Porsche issued "credits" towards the inevitable? If so, it would be far better if they did it for the Stage 2 over revs!!

I think Jeff (Tool Pants) posted one we saw a few years ago at Tim Benson's in Santa Cruz. He ran a Boxster that had -1 (as I recall) in the Stage 2 category. We could not figure how you could get a Stage 2 over-rev with a Tiptronic!

Loren: How in the heck do you get a -1 Stage 1 overrev? Does Porsche issued "credits" towards the inevitable? If so, it would be far better if they did it for the Stage 2 over revs!!

We were thinking that it rolled over 9999 :)

I certainly don't know what -1 means, but it was fun to see that I've driven an average of 38.7 miles per operating hour!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey Loren, Chuck, Mark and the Rentech members.... if anyone interested in a repeat of this event, let us know. Mary and I are willing to host another one if so.

David

I'm in if this is happening again.. I'm in Roseville.

If not, does anyone know a good shop in the area for an oil change/brake fluid flush and a short shifter install on an 06 Cayman S !?

• Admin
Hey Loren, Chuck, Mark and the Rentech members.... if anyone interested in a repeat of this event, let us know. Mary and I are willing to host another one if so.

David

I'm in if this is happening again.. I'm in Roseville.

If not, does anyone know a good shop in the area for an oil change/brake fluid flush and a short shifter install on an 06 Cayman S !?

We are trying to set this now - expect a date 4-6 weeks out... more to come.