Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

19 inch wheels / Lowering Springs

Hi all.

I'm not really that technical so forgive me if i'm not making any sense.

I've just bought (arriving in a few weeks) new 19" Carrera S wheels for my 2006 987 Boxster (no PASM). One of the main reasons for doing this was that I wanted to fill out the wheel arch a little more than my 18" Boxster S wheels.

Having looked a few Boxsters with the 19" Carrera S wheels, I'm thinking that these wheels are not going to adequately fill the arches ... so am I right in saying that I should probably consider lowering the suspension? Are there any other alternatives?

If lowering the car is the solution... then... I guess the next question is ... how much do I lower it by? I read somewhere taht installing PASM lowers it by 10mm... which doesnt sound like a lot??

Also whats required to lower the suspension? How much does it cost? And any brands I should go with?

Thanks in advance....

Hi henrylee1, I also have those wheels and what I believe you also need to consider, if you haven't considered it already, is the impact of any modifications you do may affect your warranty negatively. Just make sure that a Pdealer is doing the work, if they will do it at all, to avoid any future headaches - maybe a little more costly, but potentially safer from warranty and design parameter perspectives.

Any mods like that impact the car, and changes may affect handling and wear and tear on associated components, as you probably know. The rolling diameter is always very similar when you go +1 or +2, it's just the look, ride, handling, wear, weight, etc. that's different. In my humble opinion, I like the look of the 19s as they make the wheels look pretty big already, and as noted, staying stock does sometimes have it's benefits - this also applies to re-sale values. Nobody ever questions stock, but changes or mods always gets a certain level of concern from potential buyers and dealer service depts. But everyone's different, so do what makes you happy.

Anyway, just my 2c and hope this helps you. Good luck.

Cheers :)

Hey thanks for your response. All valid points. Do you have a picture of your car? Just wanted to see what it looks like....

Here is a pic of my boxster with 19in wheels from the factory. They are the turbo wheels and no lowering or other mods are needed. I have read some posts that say that the 19in wheels doesnt handle as well and hurts the performance due to unsprung weight. Havent researched the difference but my car is just a sunday pleasure car and I like the look of the 19 in wheel much better that the 18.

post-29875-1209936422_thumb.jpg

hey henry,

i am in the same situation as you, and with the same concern. I am also waiting for my CS 19" Wheels, for my 2006 987. Will let you know once I get the Wheels on, and if my car looks like a frog without lower it. But don't worry, if it looks ugly, just change the springs. I believe the guys here will definitely assist us as to how much to lower the car, and what kind of effect it will have on the camber and wear on tyres.

Currently the standard springs allows me to fit in 3 fingers from the arch to the tyre. I would approximately assume it's 3cm in between. Lower 1-1.5cm would suffice.So next time go check out other cars how much allowance they have that makes their cars so nice.

Oh great. When do you actually get yours? I've been told that I get my wheels in 10 days but I'm heavily realiant on USPS.

I got a quote from Porsche here in Australia to lower springs and they quoted A$2040 - thats approximately US$1900! They said they wont just change the springs; but rather they have to change the whole suspension!?

Anyway hardly seems worth it to lower it just by 1cm! But I do agree with you, i think it would look great lowering it by 1cm - 1.5cm.

Send me some pics of yr car when you've got your new wheels.

Ciao for now.

hey henry,

i am in the same situation as you, and with the same concern. I am also waiting for my CS 19" Wheels, for my 2006 987. Will let you know once I get the Wheels on, and if my car looks like a frog without lower it. But don't worry, if it looks ugly, just change the springs. I believe the guys here will definitely assist us as to how much to lower the car, and what kind of effect it will have on the camber and wear on tyres.

Currently the standard springs allows me to fit in 3 fingers from the arch to the tyre. I would approximately assume it's 3cm in between. Lower 1-1.5cm would suffice.So next time go check out other cars how much allowance they have that makes their cars so nice.

Either 19'" or 18" should fill up the fender arches same way. Even if U are going w/ 19's , outside diameter of your tires shoould be the same unless u want the speedo to be off,,,talking about filling the arches,,, probably want something like this. here is a pic of old member.

post-23680-1210615659_thumb.jpg

Ok now thats HOT! It looks great and fills up the arches really well. I dont think it needs any lowered springs. It really does look good.

Here Henry, I found another photo for you, hope this helps.

Cheers :)

Nice Jun, but I don't know about warranty and wear and tear on other components. I thought about lowering too. Too many variables imo. Hit a pothole or 2 and you're looking at potential $ and questions from your dealer. But hey, maybe after warranty ........ nope, too hard to sell ...... but it looks hot though. I was thinking of buying a 996 4S cab lowered but it had numerous ancillary component problems - not worth it imo, but hey, if that floats your boat, do it. Only you know if it's right for you.

Anyways, just my 2c, cheers :)

Edited by eqs

Hi all.

I'm not really that technical so forgive me if i'm not making any sense.

I've just bought (arriving in a few weeks) new 19" Carrera S wheels for my 2006 987 Boxster (no PASM). One of the main reasons for doing this was that I wanted to fill out the wheel arch a little more than my 18" Boxster S wheels.

Having looked a few Boxsters with the 19" Carrera S wheels, I'm thinking that these wheels are not going to adequately fill the arches ... so am I right in saying that I should probably consider lowering the suspension? Are there any other alternatives?

If lowering the car is the solution... then... I guess the next question is ... how much do I lower it by? I read somewhere taht installing PASM lowers it by 10mm... which doesnt sound like a lot??

Also whats required to lower the suspension? How much does it cost? And any brands I should go with?

Thanks in advance....

I have seen a recommendation that the Porsche wheel spacers improve the look by moving the tires more into the arch of the wheel well. I haven't done it and I have no complaints on track or at ax's regarding the 19" rims performance wise.

Bruce

post-26930-1210631606_thumb.jpg

porsche recommends the tyre size 265/35 R19 on the rear for the Carrera S Rims 9.5 x 19. Is there anyone using 275/35 or 265/30 instead of the recommended size, because I cannot get the size at all! Seems sold out everywhere and they tyre manufacturers aren't making many. I am not using any spacers so am concern if any bigger tyre size will affect the clearance.

porsche recommends the tyre size 265/35 R19 on the rear for the Carrera S Rims 9.5 x 19. Is there anyone using 275/35 or 265/30 instead of the recommended size, because I cannot get the size at all! Seems sold out everywhere and they tyre manufacturers aren't making many. I am not using any spacers so am concern if any bigger tyre size will affect the clearance.

There is a tire size comparison calculator at www.1010tires.com. Based upon it, your 265/30 would be not recommended since it is a greater than 3% change. The 275/35 would be within acceptable. Only about a 1% change. Based upon my limited experience, I think an aspect ratio reduction to 30 would be too much. Porsche club has a tech site which has a wheel and tire section. It may help.

Bruce

seems that i could only get the 275/30 or 275/35 19inch right now. could i ask those whose fitted these tyres on the 9.5x19 Carrera wheels (offset 46mm) without spacers, have any problems with the inner clearance?

• 2 weeks later...