Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Shift Light Install 997 GT3

Loren,

Some time ago you pointed me to the tach lead, the Violet/Green wire, on the OBD port on my 996TT.

In addition to my Turbo I now have a 2007 GT3 and would like to install the same kind of shift light.

In exploring the connections I have found that nothing is the same as the Turbo. No phone plug to pick up the switched 12 volt and pin 9 on the OBD port is empty.

I did find a power port that I can use for the 12 volt. Problem is, it is hot all the time. I plan to cut a on/off switch in but would prefer a connection that would worked with the ingnition on/off. Is there any kind of phone connector in the console?

Can you also tell me if the same Violet/Green wire will work for the tach lead? If the same Violet/Green wire is there do you know what pin it is?

Thanks

Can you tell me what benefit a shift light actually brings to the driving experience? It would be a redundant item since the tach gives you the rpm for shift points. I have to admit, that I do hit the over rev sometimes when going onto the freeway. Is a shift light more appropriate for the racing folks....or does it give the street driver any advantage??

That signal is no longer on the OBD II plug. Almost everything on the 9x7 series cars is on the CAN bus.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not familiar with the CAN Bus? Is it something I can access and tap into? Where is it located?

Can you tell me what benefit a shift light actually brings to the driving experience? It would be a redundant item since the tach gives you the rpm for shift points. I have to admit, that I do hit the over rev sometimes when going onto the freeway. Is a shift light more appropriate for the racing folks....or does it give the street driver any advantage??

The shift light is as you suggest more for racing applications. The light is a relatively large LED, in my case a yellow light that comes on at a pre-set RPM. This allows the driver to stay focused on the race track and still hit the shift points. Using the tach requires a bit of scanning to determine when to shift. Going into a turn at speeds over 140mph and trying to scan the tach, down shift, and turn is a bit much for me. So the use of the light works for me. Light comes on! No thought I just shift.

• Admin
That signal is no longer on the OBD II plug. Almost everything on the 9x7 series cars is on the CAN bus.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not familiar with the CAN Bus? Is it something I can access and tap into? Where is it located?

Some of the more sophisticated telemetry systems use the CAN bus - you can tap in at the cluster or the DME.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the more sophisticated telemetry systems use the CAN bus - you can tap in at the cluster or the DME.

The cluster I assume you mean the instrument cluster?

On the DME/ECU can you tell me what lead to tap into? Does it have some kind of identification?

Do you know where I can get a swithced 12 volt as well?

Thanks

• Admin

On the DME/ECU can you tell me what lead to tap into? Does it have some kind of identification?

Thanks

Some of the more sophisticated telemetry systems use the CAN bus - Do you have a system theat can pick up network (CAN) data?

Thanks

Some of the more sophisticated telemetry systems use the CAN bus - Do you have a system theat can pick up network (CAN) data?

No I don't have a system that will pick up the CAN. The light I am using is a simple device with a tach lead, a 12v and a ground.

I pulled the DME wireing diagram from Porsche PIWIS TSI for the inside of the car and I couldn't find anything that indicated a tach lead or a coil pac etc?

I am stumped? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 months later...
That was point before... you need a CAN based system on the newer cars.

Loren,

Just a follow up on the shift light install. On the DME, plug "A" has six wires that come from the coils, if you tap one of them, eg. blue/green, it will give you the analog signal for a shift light. Use this tap and a 12 volt source and your in business. the hardest part was running the wires from the DME through the console to the front of the dash. So far it works fine.

Thanks

• Upvote 1