Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bad fuel pump on my 02 C2 / Dealer wants $950 to replace- redicul

Just my luck, friday afternoon my car won't start and I'm stuck several miles from home. From the symptoms it definitely seemed like it was not getting any fuel, which could mean bad pump, relay or heaven forbid DME. 35k miles on the car.

The only place able to get my car in on short notice was the dealer, after inspecting they determined it was the fuel pump. Estimate they gave me is $945 to replace it.

Isn't that kind of rediculous? The pump is around $300 right? I can't see it taking $650 in labor to replace it. <_<

Can anyone on the shop side of the business give me input on what reasonable parts / labor should be for this?

TIA

• Admin

US MSRP on the fuel pump is $308.86 - I am sure Sunset Imports can do much better than that.

Labor sounds pretty high to me. I would get a quote from an independent Porsche shop. Make sure they have a PST2 or PIWIS as they will need to calibrate the fuel gauge after replacement.

US MSRP on the fuel pump is $308.86 - I am sure Sunset Imports can do much better than that.

Labor sounds pretty high to me. I would get a quote from an independent Porsche shop. Make sure they have a PST2 or PIWIS as they will need to calibrate the fuel gauge after replacement.

Thanks Loren- I will do that Monday morning. They know my car is kinda "stuck" there so I definitely don't want to be overcharged.

I had no idea that calibration was neccessary, very interesting- if it's not too involved would you mind explaining it just for my knowledge?

thanks for the suggestions- dealer has a tizzy-fit if you try to provide your own parts... the big cost here seems to be labor, going by book rate obviously. I sure do miss having a house / full garage / full set of tools & lift available. soon!!

• Admin

Porsche Book Time for a fuel pump replacement on a MY02 C2 coupe is: 140 TU (1 hour 40 minutes)

That inlcudes:

Remove and reinstall the battery

Fuel level sender unit remove and reinstall

Fuel tank emptying and refilling

Fuel level sensor calibration

Porsche Book Time for a fuel pump replacement on a MY02 C2 coupe is: 140 TU (1 hour 40 minutes)

That inlcudes:

Thanks Loren, interesting indeed- I wonder why the consistent high prices for overall parts / labor? That seems very skewed. Is it tough to replace the relay? That's the only other thing I can think of that might boost the cost...

Edited by p0rsch3

• Admin

That inlcudes:

Thanks Loren, interesting indeed- I wonder why the consistent high prices for overall parts / labor? That seems very skewed. Is it tough to replace the relay? That's the only other thing I can think of that might boost the cost...

Relay is less than 15 minutes (relay 13 under the dash near the fuse panel)