Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997TT oil change intervals

RJFabCab

This is in reference to my 2007 997TT.

My maintenance schedule booklet dated 5/07 lists 'first minor maintenance (years 1, 4, 7...)', 'second minor maintenance (years 2, 5, 8...)', and 'major maintenance (years 3, 6, 9...)'. Each service includes an oil change... which means the oil needs to be changed once per year if mileage limits are not met.

My service indicator in the OBD is telling me to head in for service (one year has passed).

The maintenance schedule booklet here on Renntech is dated 9/07 and alternates between a minor service (years 2, 6, 10...) and a major service (years 4, 8, 12...) which means oil changes every 2 years if mileage limits are not met.

Why the difference and why the change? Per the latest 9/07 schedule, I should just head in for the dealer to reset the service indicator.

It looks like my '02 C2 cab required annual oil changes if driven < 9K miles/yr, and then in 2004, Porsche recommended oil changes every 2 years for the base Carrera and even the 996 GT3, and then my 5/07 booklet says annual oil changes again, and then the 9/07 document says every other year for oil changes.

WTFrick is going on here???

Loren, do you have a good explanation for this one? :P

Thanks! :renntech:

RJ

• Admin

I wish I did...

I'm still trying to figure out why 15W-40 Mobil 1 came off the approved list after being - practically the only approved oil for 5 years.

I guess further testing of oils and engine wear must lead to this (along with Mercedes and BMW having longer intervals too).

I wish I did...

I'm still trying to figure out why 15W-40 Mobil 1 came off the approved list after being - practically the only approved oil for 5 years.

I guess further testing of oils and engine wear must lead to this (along with Mercedes and BMW having longer intervals too).

Thanks for the response, Loren.

So, is PST2/PIWIS the only way to reset my service indicator? Durametric's website doesn't have a tool listed for the 997TT... only the base 997 and the 996TT are mentioned.

Can the dealer reprogram my service indicator to go off in 2 year intervals?

Interesting... I just got back from Wally Mart with a case of 15-40... j/k!!! :D

• Admin
I wish I did...

Thanks for the response, Loren.

So, is PST2/PIWIS the only way to reset my service indicator? Durametric's website doesn't have a tool listed for the 997TT... only the base 997 and the 996TT are mentioned.

Can the dealer reprogram my service indicator to go off in 2 year intervals?

Interesting... I just got back from Wally Mart with a case of 15-40... j/k!!! :D

I think they have added that - check with the folks at Durametric - they are always adding new stuff.

I don't know if the interval can be reset with a PIWIS. I would like to give it a try.

• Moderators

The service interval can be reset with PIWIS, you can even cancel the display service announcement. As White987S mentioned a yearly oil change does no harm.

• Admin
The service interval can be reset with PIWIS, you can even cancel the display service announcement. As White987S mentioned a yearly oil change does no harm.

Thank you RFM. We know you can reset it with a PIWIS - do you know if you can change the interval (from 1 year to 2 years)?

• Moderators

I'm not sure about that Loren, but if you go in to the PIWIS menu "combi instrument" / "coding" / "service interval" the tester ask for the MY of the car, perhaps there is something to fix in there, i try to check it out when i have the chance.

• Moderators

Small update Loren, it is interesting to know on which country code the car is announced in the rear, combi instrument and DME control boxes. In the rear and combi instrument boxes are a lot of country's available. The DME works with characters, for example: Euro 4 A or B, ( Columbia got C ) the different characters are related with fuel quality between nord, middle and south Europe. At this point of view it is possible that the service interval is different and in this case changeable.

Regards.

• 2 months later...

I had my "warning" for my one year scheduled check come on as well for my 07 TT. I think the "scheduled" maintenance is a guideline and definitely needs to vary according to driving styles etc. An oil change just after the "break in" period is a good idea from all those I checked with. Since I use my TT as my daily driver all year (Canadian winters included), road trips (I'm currently on a 2 week jaunt in NW USA), and track (about a dozen times a season) I will change my maintenance and oil changes done more regularly than the books recommends. I think this will be about 2 oil changes and one minor maintenance check a year, when manual recommended regular maintenance is not in effect.

Good luck!

C.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Lurking here from the 996TT board - my 2003 996TT X50 has 190,000 miles on it and I am adamant about changing the oil every 5000 miles - yes it's all still orginal (engine, tranny, clutch, etc) and has been left bone stock - just a point of reference for you to use - it sees winters, summers, rain, snow, sleet and what ever mother nature throws at it. My 3 cents (fuel surcharge) - T2 knocks on wood!!