Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can Durametric Activate My Multi-Function Steering Wheel?

I just got a multi-function steering wheel for my 997s. I installed it myself this morning. The dealer told me all I need to do now is to bring it in so they can activate the controls. Can this be done with the Durametric software? I much rather do it myself then take it to the dealer.

Having already done this on my car (I think I was actually the first) I'm aware there is a little more to it , than just enabling some codes. The Multi function wheel communicates with the PCM , so not only does the gateway module need updating to enable the Multi function controls , but the PCM needs re configuring too. After everything has been reconfigured ideally the "read out all codes" function should be carried out. This takes all the current settings from the car and backs them up to the PWIS unit. Then a read in all codes function ensures that the settings will be held in memory even if battery power is lost. If you just enable the steering column module on its own , the PCM won't recognise it. There is a risk after power loss the multi function wheel will not function again if it hasn't had its settings reconfigured and backed up. The dealers that did my car charged me an hour's labour and considering it was their first retro fit , may have taken a little longer than necessary. Once fitted everything works just as if it were there from new.

Regarding the wiring for the multi function wheel : It uses the same mini loom as the tiptronic and a common additional interface box. It can only be fitted to the non sport wheels as the buttons are not designed for the sport wheel. The mini loom, interface box and replacement wheel covers (with multi function controls) can be bought from your local dealer for about 450 pounds (900 usd). Fitting the hardware takes about 40 mins but you need to observe the correct procedure in removing the air bag and the removal of power from the unit. Don't try this yourself if you do not know the correct procedure for removing the airbag !!!

• 2 months later...

How to remove / replace 997 steering wheel and / or upgrade to Multifunction steering wheel- the facts

Put the new multifunction CF wheel on the other day, it looks sweet! For now, I wanted to capture the knowledge here for those who may want to do this.

Park car with wheels straight and steering wheel straight.

Remove key from ignition

Disconnect battery neg. terminal, let sit for 10 mins.

Remove airbag: take a long 1/4" alan wrench or other similar sized thin object with a flat tip, and insert into the hole on the bottom rear of the steering wheel. Use something almost the same size as the hole. You will push up firmly to remove the airbag. What you are doing is pushing up on an internal wire retainer clip, once you push on it hard enough put your fingernails under the top edge of the airbag and pull forward, it should start to pop out. Now pull forward on bottom edge. It should all pull straight out.

Once the airbag is out, reach in and unplug the orange connector, it pulls straight forward. Now lay the airbag somewhere safe.

Remove steering wheel center bolt *special tool needed*. You will need a 12mm multi-point tool. It looks like a large Torx bit with about 12 or 13 smaller ridges (A torx has 5 larger ridges). This tool is used for a few different things on Audi / VW cars as well. I do not know the exact name of this tool, I borrowed it from my friend. Slap the bit onto a 1/2" long ratchet wrench and turn bolt counter clockwise to loosen / remove. If you lock the wheel in the process do not worry, it is ok.

Now that the bolt is off, use a thin marking pen to mark a few points on the steering wheel next to the shaft that you unscrewed the bolt from. This is just in case you need to put the old wheel back on or need a point of reference when putting on the new wheel.

Gently slide the old wheel forward and off. do not twist or rock, you do not want to disturb the clock spring that sits behind the wheel.

Sport wheel replacement is easy, just put new sport wheel on with same alignment- tighten bolt to 37ft-lbs - plug in airbag and push in to lock it in place.

Now, reconnect battery. you will get a PSM failure light. No biggie, it goes away after driving off.

Note for multifunction wheel:

There has been HUGE speculation on whether the multifunction wheel is "plug n play" on 997 cars. Answer is, it depends!!

If your car did not originally come with a multifunction wheel, then your car does NOT have the required control module or wiring harness. Period.

Now, if you buy a used multifunction wheel from a forum member, more than likely the wheel has the control module and wiring harness installed with it (it sits inside the steering wheel under the airbag). In this cars, YES it is "plug n play". Just attach your standard wheel airbag to the harness on the multifunction wheel and put it back on as in step 9 above, and go to the dealer for programming (BH Porsche charges about $80).

If you bought the wheel new from Porsche, it DOES NOT have the control module or wire harness included, you must buy these separately!! You need part number 997-612-673-00 (wire loom) and part number 997-613-445-00 (control unit). Both of thse parts can be ordered in a week from a dealer. Sunset Porsche charges $62 for the loom and $118 for the control unit. both of these pieces mount inside the steering wheel, just ask them to email you the schematic from PET (illustration 403-05). Put this all on (it's very easy) and take to dealer for programming.

NOTE: PET calls for a different airbag part nuber for the multifunction wheel than the standard wheel. This is BS! My standard wheel airbag fit just fine. If there is a diff I cannot find it!

You can find a few pics here of the required tool and parts list: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/140...el-removal.html

Edited by p0rsch3

• 2 weeks later...

The difference in airbag is that the multi function wheel comes with a leather faced , rather than vinyl faced item , the leather on the wheel rim of the multi function item is also slightly more padded , though not to the extent of and XPA specified wheel. As you state in your post the original airbag can be re used in a multi function wheel. The control module for the multi function wheel and loom is also the same as that used on the tiptronic wheel I believe. I can also confirm the multi function equipment can be transferred into a Techart steering wheel if so desired. This is the current status of my vehicle.

Edited by berty987

The difference in airbag is that the multi function wheel comes with a leather faced , rather than vinyl faced item , the leather on the wheel rim of the multi function item is also slightly more padded , though not to the extent of and XPA specified wheel. As you state in your post the original airbag can be re used in a multi function wheel. The control module for the multi function wheel and loom is also the same as that used on the tiptronic wheel I believe. I can also confirm the multi function equipment can be transferred into a Techart steering wheel if so desired. This is the current status of my vehicle.

The loom is different for the MF wheel, there are a couple more connectors on it. The PET shows three parts for wire looms with layout of each one, tip is similar but missing the extra MF plugs. Thanks for the clarification on the airbag cover and tip on xfer to a TA wheel- cool. Post a pic?

• 3 years later...

It's now 2012 and I would like to reactivate this question with regard to DuraMetrics 6 and 997.2.

I just installed the multifunction module (part 997613465015Q0) on a 2011 C4S with pdk and PSM. I have DuraMetrics "Pro" cable and the Durametrics people told me I should be able to activate the multifunction aspect of the module.

So far I can't seem to find the correct "switches". I know the module is hooked up as the pdk paddles work. I found a switch related to multifunction steering wheel and changed it from “inactive” to “active”. Any guidance as to where all the "switches" might be and what they are called if not "multifunction" is appriciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Has anyone successfully been able to use a Durametric Pro to retrofit a multifunction steering wheel?  My 06 Cayman originally had a Bose CDR-24, but I replaced it with a MOST HUR kit and a Kenwood radio.  I also bought a multifunction steering wheel because it is suppossed to work the the MOST HUR and Kenwood radio.  I tried using my Durametric Pro to activate it, but I did not have much luck.  I could not get any of the buttons to do anything or even light up with the headlight switch.  Also, the dash was giving me an airbag warning, so I put the original wiring loom back in and cleared the code.

I don't know if the issue is the Durametric Pro (it does not seem capable of doing much of the coding it claims) or if the issue is that my car never had PCM.  Any thoughts?