Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fog light match Litronic/Xenon

hey guys,

have read a lots of article about "Xenon perfect match" with High Beam/Fog Light for Litronic/Xenon Headlights.

I have read that the Litrnics is equipped with Philips D2S bulbs with 4300° Kelvin, so my question is, would a Philips H7 "Blue Vision Ultra" 4000° Kelvin match the Litronic?

H7-BV-4000-xt.jpg

cheers,

//T

The Philips D2S bulb is low beam for xenon equipped cars (and high beam, since it is bi-xenon).

H7 bulb is for low beam on non-xenon equipped cars (at least for '04 cars).

I have bi-xenons and installed PIAA H3 Xtreme white bulbs (PIA15255--Twin Pack--4,150K) for my fog lights and they match very well:

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/xxxpiah3.html

I also ordered Hoen H11 Xenonmatch bulbs for the additional high beams--haven't received them yet, so can't say how good a match they are, but anything is probably better than the very yellow stock ones.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/orderpage.htm

hey Pourscha,

thx for the input, due to I have the MK1 model and only the Litronics/Xenon and not Bi-Xenon so for the High Beam it is using H7 bulbs so do the fog lights too.

had a look into the PIAA bulbs, for H7 bulbs offered which rates the same 4000K as the mentioned Philips but cost $79,95 a pair.

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/pih7xtwhpltw.html

and the Philips 4000K cost €13,00 per bulb by www.x-tuning.de

so my question why this different in price between PIAA and Philips?

cheers,

//T

tony, you are right, ALL the bulbs are H7. My CAB is a MY00 and I replaced the low beam and fog lights with H7 and it is as close as I can get to looking like the xenon litronics. Better than that yellow stuff!

I have tried the PIAA H7 and have a couple of comments.

First, do not put anything over 55W in your light unit - the plastic will melt.

Many light bulb manufacturers claim 100+W output for a 55W bulb. Most such 100+ Watt claims are based on measured light output in front of the car. It is a 'false measurement' as it is measing a 'spot' output, not overall output. E.g. PIAA has three coil wraps I believe, over standard four coils. This, combined with the 'scatter' pattern in DOT approved lights causes the 'extra light in the measuring point' effect, i.e. 100+W effect. This effect is much smaller in 'focussed beam' assemblies, and also much reduced in European made, DOT, approved housing. White, Extreme white, and DOT approved bulbs work well the DOT scattered pattern - you get better visibility, but not with the Litronics, IMHO. I have the PIAA Xtreme white (4150Kelvin) in my other car - these are 'superwhite' bulbs, but these do not match the Xenon-blue.

Any light source that creates the 'blueish' tint does so by a form of coating and/or filtering. I.e. the light bulb has a blueish, silverish, shine to it. These light bulbs all have in common that their output is REDUCED. I have tried import (not DOT approved) lights and was very dissappointed by the reduced light output.

If you have Xenons, you really do not need any other light source, so the bluish glare may be desirable. In this case you can get them from Japan or Canada (they are not sold in US). Check online sources. e.g. PIAA bulbs (No affiliation). I tried the PIAA Plasma FX (about $100), 4500K. They match quite well with the Xenon-blue. BTW- the Plasma FX were discontinued, you can now get the XTREME Force (4700Kelvin), as the most closest in color tint/hue.

From FAQ page (importlighting)

What is the difference between the PIAA Super Plasma and the PIAA Plasma FX?

The PIAA Super Plasma 5000K bulbs give off a bright white light that has the purplish hue of the BMWs and Mercedes HID systems.

The PIAA Plasma FX 4500K (only the H4 is rated at 5000K) give off a bluish-white light resembling the Porsche and Audi HID systems.

To repeat it once more: the blue effect is nice - they match the litronics quite well, but your light output is REDUCED, (unless you get the White or Xtreme white which both do NOT match).

Here are some pictures:

PIAA 4500K Plasma FX

blue_piaa.jpg

PIAA 4500K lights in fog light position

blue_fog.jpg

PIAA 4500K in brights with Xenon's off

blue_bright.jpg

PIAA 4500K in brights with Xenon's on

blue_head.jpg

I have used this color chart before:

light_scale.jpg

and you can see the HID location at 4300 Kelvin.

4300 Kelvin is still considered "white" - that is the light projected out. We perceive the HID bulb to be more blue than a halogen bulb. In other words, to match the appearance of an HID bulb, the halogen bulb has to be of a higher temperature. That's why the recommend range is between 4500K to 5000K for halogen bulbs.

To throw you off further, not only does the color shifts between HID and Halogen, the scale also differs between manufactures. E.g. PIAA halogen is not equal to Philips halogen and so on. There is no official standard and marketing tends to hype the effects.

In the US, the non-white (4500K and higher halogens) are not DOT approved. Don't know about Europe regulations.

I suggest you try it yourself and go with the ones you like. It is not an expensive experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been very impressed with the current selection of DOT approved US lights.. the xenon look just isn't there, under 5000k. PIAA has a NICE new set of bulbs called PIAA Spark Blue 7500k H7 (They make 8000k but not in H7) On Ebay you can find them for about $90-$100, $120+ at a store...

The output actually looks more HID than the factory lithoronic look. I got a set for my fog lights as well... and as you can imagine, in that small area... with 7500k output, it's extremely bright... so I simply use my foglights for brights :>

7500k is actually brighter than 2nd Generation HID, so essentially they look exactly like HIDs, and you won't be able to tell the difference between HID and non HID at night, viewing the car..

Unfortunately due to the coating to make the "blue/purple" effect, it reduces the light output like all of the other coated bulbs... so the light output from the drivers point of viewe isn't even close to hid/lithronic.. But I am a happy customer... saves $1100 on installation of lithronic xenons.. (since aftermarket HID kits don't work, as there is no space in the light well for the ballast)

If anyone is interested in some pictures, let me know and i'll take em...

Edited by seattleporsche996

• 4 weeks later...
To repeat it once more: the blue effect is nice - they match the litronics quite well, but your light output is REDUCED, (unless you get the White or Xtreme white which both do NOT match).

just bringing up an old topic about light, Xenon match bulbs:

as we know, the higher Kelvin the bulbs have the less brightness we get and what about when the bulbs are mounted in the High beam, do we get more light or same as before?

just got 2 sets of MTEC 4730K for €65,- incl. shippment, and thinking to install them for the high beam due to I'm very satisfied with the 4350K for the Foglight.

what would you recommend?

cheers,

//T

• 4 months later...
Guest topdaytrader