Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wind deflector for 911 cabriolet worth it?

Does anybody have any experience with and without the wind deflector? I have a 2000 996 C4 Cab and it didn't come with the wind deflector. There is one on eBay right now for $340. Was the deflector even an option on the 2000 models?

My wife and I will be taking the car on a 400 mile road trip. Would the wind deflector be a worthwhile purchase? Does it substantially cut down on wind noise and turbulence? Does it take away from back seat storage?

Thanks everybody in advance.

I'm not sure if that's a good price, but yea they're nice to have. If there's only two of us at hwy speeds I always have it in. With the seat heaters on and the heat blowing to the floor we can cruise down to 50 degrees w/the top down comfortably. It doesn't cut down on storage as it protects things from blowing out.

I say it is a must option for a cab. I use mine all the time for my 02. If I want more wind, I can flip the screen down. For the price, I have seen dealer selling it for less than $300.00. Good luck.

A must have for highway driving but like Rob said 340 is a bit high. I have seen them sub-200 on eBay. If you have the time, be patient. If not, you may have to pay a bit more for quick conenience.

Dell

It always amazes me that Porsche don't supply this as standard.

It is such an importantly required item. With the wind deflector up

and the top down you don't have to glue your wig on. And you can

actually hold a conversation with your passenger!

Without doubt you have to get one of these but $340 is steep.

It's a must. If you use the windstop, roll up the front windows and then stick your finger in the latch hole and raise the little rear windows, you can do at least 100 (ask me how I know) and you can talk in normal tones and wife's/gf's hair stays put! :D

Definately worth the purchase - I use mine all the time.

It also amazes me that the equipment list is different from country to country on such items. In Australia it comes as standard equipment.

Well I called the ONLY dealer here in Vegas, and they quoted me $775.00 for this wind deflector. Nope, not a typo; $775!!!!!!!!!!!

I will keep scouring the net to see if I can find one.

Anybody have a source I should check out in order to find it cheaper? eBay currently doesn't have any for sale.

Thanks again guys.

Ebay is the place. I am surprised you don't see one there. Wait a few days.

Or.....buy one new for $330 here http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._996tec_pg8.htm

Thanks a lot Scouser for that link!

I have been checking eBay for the past couple of weeks with only 1 wind deflector showing up (at $340). I might give it a few more days of monitoring eBay before ordering from Pelican, as my wife and I have a trip coming up June 18th.

Thanks again!

I didn't even realize that you were from LV! Are you a PCA member? I just recently joined and have kept my eye out for the next local PCA meeting.

By the way, ARE YOU TOTALLY OFF YOUR ROCKER CALLING THE LOCAL DEALER??? I am guessing you were either (1) just checking for the heck of it--or for a good chuckle-- or (2) never have done business with their parts guys.

Gaudin's parts desk is WAY OVERPRICED. I have bought NOTHING from them. Spent nearly $10K on misc upgrades over the last couple years and every time I tell my service guy about it and he says the same thing every time......"we bring it up to them but they don't seem to care that most people are buying from other dealers". They will not ever entertain the notion of price matching.

Oh yeah, if you are a PCA member....are you active in the local chapter?

Dell

I didn't even realize that you were from LV!  Are you a PCA member?  I just recently joined and have kept my eye out for the next local PCA meeting. 

By the way, ARE YOU TOTALLY OFF YOUR ROCKER CALLING THE LOCAL DEALER???  I am guessing you were either (1) just checking for the heck of it--or for a good chuckle-- or  (2) never have done business with their parts guys. 

Gaudin's parts desk is WAY OVERPRICED.  I have bought NOTHING from them.  Spent nearly $10K on misc upgrades over the last couple years and every time I tell my service guy about it and he says the same thing every time......"we bring it up to them but they don't seem to care that most people are buying from other dealers".  They will not ever entertain the notion of price matching. 

Oh yeah, if you are a PCA member....are you active in the local chapter?

Dell

Hey there Dell, I am guilty of both of the above :-) As someone had stated the dealer had them for < $300, I thought I would check. BAD IDEA!!

I am not a PCA Member, but I would be interested in learning more about it. I have had my 996 for a few months now and I love it! Glad to see another Las Vegan on the boards. What area of town do you live on? I am near Summerlin.

Cheers! :cheers:

First of, welcome to the community. I live out in Summerlin and just recently joined PCA to try an take advantage of some of the local knowledge. There is a meeting coming up that features a Maguire's rep to demonstrate the different ways to detail, etc.. Still ckecking to find a time when there is a track day (would really like to see what this car can REALLY do sometimes).----risking it out on 215 is just not smart. Last thing I need is the wife to ask why the car was impounded for going 100+ :oops:

As for joining PCA....all you have to do is join the national PCA at PCA.org and you are automatically joined into the local chapter as well (no local dues--very nice). I just got my first local newsletter.

Did you buy your 996 from the dealer?

First of, welcome to the community.  I live out in Summerlin and just recently joined PCA to try an take advantage of some of the local knowledge.  There is a meeting coming up that features a Maguire's rep to demonstrate the different ways to detail, etc..  Still ckecking to find a time when there is a track day (would really like to see what this car can REALLY do sometimes).----risking it out on 215 is just not smart.  Last thing I need is the wife to ask why the car was impounded for going 100+ :oops:

As for joining PCA....all you have to do is join the national PCA at PCA.org and you are automatically joined into the local chapter as well (no local dues--very nice).  I just got my first local newsletter.

Did you buy your 996 from the dealer?

Small world, we probably just live a few miles apart!

I actually bought it from Shelton Maserati in Fort Lauderdale. In performing my pre-purchase due diligence, I learned that Las Vegas is NOT the best place to buy a Porsche. To get my car in Vegas would've cost me easily $7K additional, if not more.

Yea, the 215 is dangerous in terms of giving in to temptation. I also am very careful, even when I get the urge to open it up a little bit :-)

Thanks for the info on PCA, I will definitely check it out!

• 2 weeks later...