Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

50K miles, 3000 in repairs and still going..

I recently decided to buy a 911 cab, 2001 51,000 miles. Thus far this car is a night mare. I have replaced the water pump, wheel alignment, pulley tensioner, belt, the front end is squeaking, key fob stopped working and now the windows, alarm, inside lights have all died. I have read about a fuse in the alarm box going bad under the front seat but it was fine, no moisture no corrosion nothing. . Therefore I am beginning to believe the box is faulty. Part # 996 618 262 03. I also have read my key will no longer work so I guess this is going to be another 1000.00 fix. I have owed 4, 911s through the years and this generation is a piece of junk on wheels. I have also read about the 99 to 2001 engine premature failures. I am waiting with baited breath. ..

I recently decided to buy a 911 cab, 2001 51,000 miles. Thus far this car is a night mare. I have replaced the water pump, wheel alignment, pulley tensioner, belt, the front end is squeaking, key fob stopped working and now the windows, alarm, inside lights have all died. I have read about a fuse in the alarm box going bad under the front seat but it was fine, no moisture no corrosion nothing. . Therefore I am beginning to believe the box is faulty. Part # 996 618 262 03. I also have read my key will no longer work so I guess this is going to be another 1000.00 fix. I have owed 4, 911s through the years and this generation is a piece of junk on wheels. I have also read about the 99 to 2001 engine premature failures. I am waiting with baited breath. ..

I think a lot of the failures stem from the cars sitting too long without being driven. Seals dry out, which causes leaks or bearings to dry out and freeze up, etc.

Have you checked your other fuses aside from the one in the alarm box?

I think a lot of the failures stem from the cars sitting too long without being driven. Seals dry out, which causes leaks or bearings to dry out and freeze up, etc.

Yes sir.. Fuses: C-3 is good as well as B-6 and B-8.. all good. It has been a slow death. The history: 1st the key fob battery went bad, replaced battery after a week or so.. but would not work, lights up on the fob but nothing from the car. Then the passenger door lock would not function, then both. Now the triple on off with the key in the door does not work. Next the interior lights went along with the window switches not working. The top activates the windows and the windows drop to open the door.. now I have a double horn warning that the alarm has a malfunction with a manual key in the door lock. Everything under the seat was dry and pristine.

I purchased (stupidly for 900.00 the correct PSM1 and navigation unit with supposedly wiring harnesses). I removed the radio, and hooked up the PSM1 but it was dead. (figures.. ebay theifs) I removed this unit, reinserted the original radio, got a code from Loren and everythng worked, including the window switches. Saturday they stopped. Today I pulled the seat and alarm box.. everything looked good. I am at a loss of where to go from here other than the dealer.

Yes sir.. Fuses: C-3 is good as well as B-6 and B-8.. all good. It has been a slow death. The history: 1st the key fob battery went bad, replaced battery after a week or so.. but would not work, lights up on the fob but nothing from the car. Then the passenger door lock would not function, then both. Now the triple on off with the key in the door does not work. Next the interior lights went along with the window switches not working. The top activates the windows and the windows drop to open the door.. now I have a double horn warning that the alarm has a malfunction with a manual key in the door lock. Everything under the seat was dry and pristine.

I purchased (stupidly for 900.00 the correct PSM1 and navigation unit with supposedly wiring harnesses). I removed the radio, and hooked up the PSM1 but it was dead. (figures.. ebay theifs) I removed this unit, reinserted the original radio, got a code from Loren and everythng worked, including the window switches. Saturday they stopped. Today I pulled the seat and alarm box.. everything looked good. I am at a loss of where to go from here other than the dealer.

So everything came back to life for a while when you changed the radio back out? That seems strange. Could you have a wiring short that got rustled around when you were moving the radio wires, and now it's shorted out again?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery to see if anything would reset?

I wish I knew more, but I haven't faced a problem like this yet.

So everything came back to life for a while when you changed the radio back out? That seems strange. Could you have a wiring short that got rustled around when you were moving the radio wires, and now it's shorted out again?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery to see if anything would reset?

I wish I knew more, but I haven't faced a problem like this yet.

The battery has been disconnected now for 1 hour. I will wait 3 and see what happens.. Looking at the other threads this issue is probably a dealer fix. There is nothing obvious and i am sure the fault codes will show the issues. I suspect the alarm box and/or micro swithes on the door lock, top, center console and on and on need to be checked. I really don't think the radio had anything to do with the issue as this has been getting worse and worse one step at a time. Thanks for the input. it is really appreciated.

So you bought a car used and have no idea how the previous owner treated it and you call it junk? Was it a CPO?

I ONLY buy used cars (mostly Vw and Saabs) and accept the fact that ALL used cars need $1000 in work the day you get them. There is most likely a reason the person is selling it other then boredom. Take that same theory for more expensive car to maintain and the number could easily be doubled or tripled which is about what you have in it so far. When I bought my boxster I got it for a great deal but still put $1000 into it to get it just right with common failure items.

First thing I did was buy a Bentley and Durametric and solved all my own issues w/o having to walk near a Porsche Stealer.

• water pump $200 DIY
  • wheel alignment (4 wheel) $100
  • Pully tensioner (belt?) $200
  • Squeeking/rattle front end (bushing) $400

That is less then a $1000 in DIY costs and I buffered my numbers.

I don't see anything that is not normal wear and tear or regular maintenance in your comments other then the window/alarm/light issue which most likely can easily be resolved. buy the durametric software for $250 and pull your codes and save money.

I'm just not supporting your concerns yet. If you knew 99-01 have engine issues, why did you buy it? or are you having lack-of-research remorse?

Did you have a mechanic check out this car before you bought it? I never buy a boat over $10K w/o a survey who buys a $40 sports car w/o a good mechanic kicking the tires?

Lastly you have posted your rant in the 986 board!

Used cars need love unless they are CPO...sounds like you feel a 7 year old car should drive factory new. Some do, most don't. From owning so many 911 and buying a used car I would expect you to have some DIY skills, but maybe not.

I know you will take this email as negative and a personal attack but it's far from that. You simply are frustrated, made some bad choices and seem to have a car with an electric issue with many symptoms that will be solved by one fix. I see nothing yet pointing to a lemon due to quality control or design.

Edited by rsfeller

So you bought a car used and have no idea how the previous owner treated it and you call it junk? Was it a CPO?

I ONLY buy used cars (mostly Vw and Saabs) and accept the fact that ALL used cars need $1000 in work the day you get them. There is most likely a reason the person is selling it other then boredom. Take that same theory for more expensive car to maintain and the number could easily be doubled or tripled which is about what you have in it so far. When I bought my boxster I got it for a great deal but still put $1000 into it to get it just right with common failure items.

First thing I did was buy a Bentley and Durametric and solved all my own issues w/o having to walk near a Porsche Stealer.

• water pump $200 DIY
  • wheel alignment (4 wheel) $100
  • Pully tensioner (belt?) $200
  • Squeeking/rattle front end (bushing) $400

That is less then a $1000 in DIY costs and I buffered my numbers.

I don't see anything that is not normal wear and tear or regular maintenance in your comments other then the window/alarm/light issue which most likely can easily be resolved. buy the durametric software for $250 and pull your codes and save money.

I'm just not supporting your concerns yet. If you knew 99-01 have engine issues, why did you buy it? or are you having lack-of-research remorse?

Did you have a mechanic check out this car before you bought it? I never buy a boat over $10K w/o a survey who buys a $40 sports car w/o a good mechanic kicking the tires?

Lastly you have posted your rant in the 986 board!

Used cars need love unless they are CPO...sounds like you feel a 7 year old car should drive factory new. Some do, most don't. From owning so many 911 and buying a used car I would expect you to have some DIY skills, but maybe not.

I know you will take this email as negative and a personal attack but it's far from that. You simply are frustrated, made some bad choices and seem to have a car with an electric issue with many symptoms that will be solved by one fix. I see nothing yet pointing to a lemon due to quality control or design.

Actually I had Porsche check the car prior to buy.. all checked fine. FYI I changed my own water pump, belt, idler pulley. I have a mechanical engineering background and have designed several mechanicals as well, including 2 patents. My point is this: The legacy Porsches are simple and tough in design and do not have serial systems whereas A has to be yes, then B is ok, then C is yes and on and on before something will work. Why on earth would an alarm black box lock the windows when the door will open with a coat hanger? This sort of engineering is too obscure. .. Forbid you have a flat tire.. What do you do with the tire after you change to the doughnut and there is a passenger with you.. Does Bently have an answer for this issue? . I drove (my son now driving) a BMW 5 Series purchased in 1997 and everything still works. 145000 miles. Nothing major .. AC is good, locks, radio, all electronics, bearings, transmission, everything is superb. The only issues were oil changes, belt at 100K brakes tires and the usual light bulb.

It is a well know fact that between 1998 to 2000 several engines failed and all Porsche did was discount replacement motors. I bought 2001 as this was supposed to be the re-engineered motor, but I don't have a lot of trust now that I have been reading the issues other owners are having. There are 20 or more posts every day here with problems from ignitions to fuel doors not opening. These problems are on almost every possible system in this vintage auto and I would be willing to bet most of their cars are less than 100K miles. Issues like this are considered premature for a car costing upwards of 40K much less 100K.

Yes I am frustrated but mostly disappointed in the newer engineering and reliability at Porsche and Porsche's lack of accountability. Sounds like another car company we all know? Not to mention pricing on parts.. I have the money to fix and repair but a 50K mile car should not have these issues..Also I take one last look every night at the car before I go to bed.. so I give it tlc and it is now giving me heartburn!

Glad to read you got DIY skills as most Porsche guys on here do. Still not sure how you have $3000 in it with that list but I don't doubt you if you stated it.

As far as the tire comment that is nothing new to many current sports cars with giant tires and little trunks. Nobody said the donut is a solution only something for them to cover their butt, my father has the same issue with his corvette. I know I would not do the donut, I'd call a flat bed.

As far as the black box...they are all making it difficult with to much technology in one box but that is what the market requires. Let's face it nobody should be making cars with 1991 technology in mind or they are going to fall to the wayside of those companies with more bells and whistles in the black boxes. Most consumers are easly lemmings (yes even Porsche people) who just want kick *** stereos, lazy (and ugly IMHO) NAV systems and all the crazy acronyms (SRS, ABS, TCS, ect).

No alarm is full proof or going to solve most theft issues especially with a convertible and a flatbed truck but this box will solve most basic theft issues. I believe Porsche was struggling with their alarm system as I have several errors related to the security pill and other items that have no ill effect on the starting, running, arming and triggering of the full system...but the codes are present and I feel like they are a problem waiting to happen.

You are definitely comparing some old sturdy cars (that leaked oil) to new ones and it's not always a fair comparison. Hell my 1974 Roadrunner was indestructible too!

Rant all you want on a new headache we all do from time to time but keep in mind Porsche has had great new customer ratings and high profitability for more then a decade when they went to the brink of destruction.

Not sure of the 996 engine woes but I know the lowly 2.5L only had one bad year (I think it was 1999) and many know to avoid if they don't know the history. then again most of them would have failed by now.

Regardless of the mileage, you have to take the age into account. Remember, Porsche is attempting to be on the cutting edge of technologies, so they're going to have systems more advanced than many other car companies out there. However, because it's new technologies, there's going to be bugs in it. By the time this stuff works it's way down to being affordable and put into Fords and Chevys, etc. it's much more refined.

When I read about things like the air-oil seperator problems and your alarm problems, I'm really missing the simplicity of my 66 Mustang. Then again, my 66 always had a leak somewhere, didn't handle worth crap, overheated in heavy traffic and only got 14mpg on premium gas.

When I first got my 99, I expected very little maintenance, but the local Firestone had me for $2k pretty fast. Knowing what I've now learned from this board, I would have changed my own oil and saved the cost of a stripped out oil plug and pain replacement and saved $500, epoxied the crack in my oil filler tube for $3 and saved $500, and changed my own Mass Airflow Sensor for $350 and saved another $500. Aside from massive engine or transmission failure, nothing seems to be that difficult or expensive. I just wasn't expecting it and hadn't done any research and learned my lesson when the local shop took advantage of me.

On the other side of things, I bought a lifetime alignment package from that Firestone, so I'm now going to make it a point to have my alignment checked AT LEAST every other weekend if I have time just to take up their time and annoy them.

You bought a car designed in the early 90s

Which had to meet so many more legal requirements (smog, safety, etc) and customer expectations (remote door locking, for example) than earlier models that it isn't surprising that the systems required for that are more complex. Just as a Model A is much simpler than a modern Ford, so too are suceeding generations of Porsches more complex than their predecessors. And with such, the ways of diagnosing become more complex. I sometimes think half the work in designing a modern car is designing-in the maintenance aids.

There are problems the shade tree mechanic can still do, but some problems just require the dealer's diagnostic tools and the experience of a mechanic who works on the same car model day in and day out. ..and has for 7 years.

Take it in, get it fixed and then I hope you enjoy the heck out of it. And don't think any less of yourself because you can't fix it. After all, that isn't your specialty.

IMHO, YMMV

You bought a car designed in the early 90s

Which had to meet so many more legal requirements (smog, safety, etc) and customer expectations (remote door locking, for example) than earlier models that it isn't surprising that the systems required for that are more complex. Just as a Model A is much simpler than a modern Ford, so too are suceeding generations of Porsches more complex than their predecessors. And with such, the ways of diagnosing become more complex. I sometimes think half the work in designing a modern car is designing-in the maintenance aids.

There are problems the shade tree mechanic can still do, but some problems just require the dealer's diagnostic tools and the experience of a mechanic who works on the same car model day in and day out. ..and has for 7 years.

Take it in, get it fixed and then I hope you enjoy the heck out of it. And don't think any less of yourself because you can't fix it. After all, that isn't your specialty.

IMHO, YMMV

I used to have BMW cars (325 2001 and 2003) and i also had many problem with these cars....it cost me a lot just to maintain the cars on the road.They werre just daily driver likr the Porsche i curently own.

If you ever go on the Bimmer forum (BMW) you will realize that BMW owner also have there lot of problem and i don't think that for this reason you can say that BMW are bad cars....Did you know that BMW 300 coupe series have stuctural problem....almost all of them the frame crack under torsion and it cost more then $3000.00 to fix it.....and this is just one exemple of a BMW problem.

If you ever don"t like your Porsche just fix it sell it and buy a Toyota....then you will probably get reliability and for sure a real boring driver car.

If you have any problem with your car the people here in this site will do there best to help you but i don't think this site exist for complainingabout the car we felt in love with....

So fix it and sell it and...

Bye Bye

Robert

I would replace the 15AMP fuse on the alarm module.

Hopefully "JeTexas" got a great deal purchasing his '01 911. The money he saved can go to future repairs.

I have an 01 '986, 51k miles, great condition except for a dent and scratch on the front bumper... some jackhole backed into the car while it was parked and didn't leave any contact info. No worries, it's a minor repair. Anyway, shortly after that "incident" is when I purchased the car from my girlfriend's parents. They sold it to me for $2k below blue book in order to compensate for the bumper damage.

All of a sudden, the money for the bumper had to be invested in other priorities. ... new tires, passenger-side window regulator, trunk latches, regular maintenance. Now my plastic rear window cracked and I have yet to fix the front bumper!

My point is, this is the stuff you run into buying pre-owned vehicles. The bimmer you owned in 97 is in good condition because I'm sure you maintained it well. I beleive buying a used car is like buying someone else's headaches... be prepared to spend more dough.

Add it all up and buying a used car with headaches is almost the price as a much newer car w/warranty. I'm sure you bought your '01 911 because you're an enthusiast and probably love the body-style. You can't deny porsche's overall quality. All porsche owners could have invested in faster cars, or more luxurious cars for the same amount of $$ but we didn't because there's something that's irresistable about these little german cars!

My Dad has an '07 Z06 that is clearly the fastest car I have ever driven (500+HP) however the fit and finish of the interior is pretty cheezy, lot's of plastic and cheap-looking leather, also, the roof body panel became unglued one day. He had to take it back to the dealer. The Z06 can't compare to a porsche's quality. My friend has a nissan 350z... we raced each other, and his car is about .50 secs. faster... he now has bragging rights, but his car is made from crappy plastic and tin.... can't compare to a porsche.

Anyway, enough of my babbling. Anyone know of a decent auto detailer in the San Fernando Valley?? I got stubborn water spots!