Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DME Printout

I bought my Boxster in March this year (it was first registered 25th May 2006) and when it was in my OPC more recently I asked that they give me print out of the over rev record. The report showed 655 ignitions in range 1 and 44 ignitions in range 2 - I assume this is nothing to worry about?

Further down the report it reported "total distance". This was recorded as 17952.000. Not sure if this is Miles or Km but if the latter then this would equate to 11154 miles. My speedo stated ~11600 miles (I didnt actually check it at the time hence the approx figure). So if units are Km on the DME report then there is just 400 miles that's unexpalined but if the units were Miles then the difference is over 6000 miles. My questions:-

Is the "Total Distance" the distance the car as travelled ie equals speedo distance?

Is the DME units Km or Miles?

What scenarios would expalin the difference?

A fact that may have a bearing on this is that a month earlier I had the PCM swapped out under warranty (single cd was not working). Is this data storred in the PCM or elsewhere? Also shorly after I had the PCM swapped out, the service indicator warned that a service was due sometime in early June although 2 year service should have been due in May had it not been service by the OPC as part of the purchase 2 months earlier. Is the service data storred in the PCM or could this just be a coincidence that the original dealer forgot to reset the system when he serviced it?

Can anyone explain these apparent discrepancies ??

Mike

I bought my Boxster in March this year (it was first registered 25th May 2006) and when it was in my OPC more recently I asked that they give me print out of the over rev record. The report showed 655 ignitions in range 1 and 44 ignitions in range 2 - I assume this is nothing to worry about?

Did you exceed the rev limiter or did the car come like that? Sounds like someone missed a couple of downshifts. This may or may not impact engine-related warranty service. BTW, Range 1 = 7300-7500 rpms; Range 2 = 7500-7700 rpms.

Sounds like you answered your own question regarding km versus miles. Since the DME uses metric units for sensor data, it most likely uses km for distance. I have a Durametric scanner and the DME page doesn't provide distance traveled but instead provides operating hours, so I can't check distance on my car.

I don't know why there's a 400 mile discrepancy -- do you have stock ["approved"]wheels/tires on the car?

Regards,

paul...

As far as I know the over revs were when the previous owner had the car. I thought range one meant hitting the rev limited at 7000 and range 2 was 200 above limiter ie 7000-7200?

The wheels I have are the Standard OME Boxster S wheels (albeit my cars a Boxster not an "S")

• Admin

For 9x7 series cars the 6 ranges are:

Range 1: 7300-7500 RPM

Range 2: 7500-7700 RPM

Range 3: 7700-7900 RPM

Range 4: 7900-8400 RPM

Range 5: 8400-9500 RPM

Range 6: 9500-11000 RPM

You really don't need to worry about anything other than ranges 4 to 6.

As far as I know the over revs were when the previous owner had the car. I thought range one meant hitting the rev limited at 7000 and range 2 was 200 above limiter ie 7000-7200?

The wheels I have are the Standard OME Boxster S wheels (albeit my cars a Boxster not an "S")

Those rev limit values are on the Durametic DME screen, so I would expect that they are also on the PIWIS factory tool. The 18" S wheel size could account for the difference, but I'm too lazy to do the math.

Regards,

paul...

You really don't need to worry about anything other than ranges 4 to 6.

Loren,

Thanks for clearing that up -- being a Porsche newbie, I thought anything in any of those ranges were fair game for dealers to flex their muscles on us!

Nontechmike,

Sorry about scaring you about this -- I'll claim ignorance!

Regards,

paul...