Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I know this will go against most threads here as most posts here seem to be about getting more power and getting their car to go faster, However I was thinking that perhaps it would be time again for Porsche to make an "E" version of the 997 and drop the 3.2 engine into it like the non S Boxster and Cayman. They sell for around $10,000 less and are only about .7 of second slower to 60 mph.

So what do you guys think?

They don't seem to want to degrade the 911 image or elevate the Boxster/Cayman. Personally it is an idea no worse than the original 911E or even 911T. Not to mention the 912/912E.

Maybe if they stripped some weight and creature features and created a modern Speedster.

Unless Porsche has to meet some kind of mileage or emissions standards, I don't think they're going to worry much about fuel economy. They're already one of the most fuel-efficient performance cars out there, and they know that their customer base isn't really focused on mileage issues. If they are slapped with some fuel economy mandates, now that they own VW, I would guess that they'd initiate some sort of merger, so that the high-mpg VW economy cars would allow them to keep making high-performance Porsches.

I would very much like a car maker to come out with a very economical, high-mpg vehicle that's actually classy and well constructed. In the US, our only options to get better than 30mpg are things like the Ford Focus, Chevy Cobalt, Honda Civic, and Toyota Corrola. Although I would love to get at least 30mpg on my daily commute, none of those cars are exactly tempting me.

I think there's merit in it. I call it the "Mercedes 200 principle." (Americans haven't got a Merc 200, of course). Thinking in 1970s/80s terms, not everyone needs or wants a Merc 280E, especially those who live in Rome or London. But a car which seats 5 comfortably, not too small to be unsafe, not too large to be difficult to park, one put together well, dependable, and doors that thunk shut, with an adequate engine, and one which you could happily keep for a long time without feeling the need to upgrade when the new one comes. Enter the Mercedes 200. No autobahnsturmer, but even with manual seats and sunroof, does the part, but feels far more substantial and special than the equivalent (European) Ford Granada/Opel Rekord.

The 911 is, of course, the quintessential Porsche to own. But you don't need to appreciate it only because it can top 260 km/h -- to the eyes of anyone, it is a beautiful car, comfortable, agile, and sturdy. It's pretty well-built too, and bar the cabrio, has a traditional hardtop body. Of course, anyone wanting a Merc 190E version of a Porsche can get a Boxster or Cayman. But as rigid as the Cayman is, I personally don't like the cut of the rear quarter glass, just doesn't look as proportional.

One of the reasons people also aspire for Porsches is that they age gracefully. In the same Mercedes principle, if you could only afford to do the exercise once in your life to save up and buy the car you want that will fill your needs adequately, how would you like to be stuck with a 1987 Toyota Cressida GLX, as opposed to an '87 Mercedes 200E, same mileage, both in good condition? Same with a Porsche. Twenty years after, if you look after it (and it looks after you), you're still happy with no compromise in function and looks. Still feels special. And if it will be a 911E, so be it.

Won't and can't happen. The 911 (now 997, of course) was and is always at the top of the Porsche food chain. No variant of any other product line can ever exhibit more performance than the 911. Period. Nothing mystical about it. As to previous variants of the 911 (T, E, S, et al.) they were all variants of the 911--not versions that existed in other product lines at Porsche.

So, within each year's line-up at Porsche, the 911 will ALWAYS be the top dog. Can't have it your way--it's not the Burger King. You get it the Porsche AG way or you don't get it at all!

Personally, I agree with that.

B)