Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How important are those underbody panels?

I've had my 2004 Boxster S for about 4 months now, and just passed 45,000 miles two days ago... so today was the first time I put it up on a lift. (Only cost me $4 to rent a lift for an hour at the auto hobby shop at the local Navy base, which is just awesome!) I was less than delighted when I noticed my rear underbody panel was broken at one spot (circle) with a number of small cracks nearby. I was even less delighted to notice the other side of the panel was missing completely. I suspect a botched jack job, as there's other evidence of shoddy work at all the jack points, but there doesn't seem to be any damage besides to the panels. I've already replaced one underbody panel at a cost of $50, and this one is twice the size, and nowhere near as noticeable, so I doubt it will impact resale value. How important is it, though? Isn't it mainly for aerodynamic downforce at high speeds?

post-24850-1217647579_thumb.jpg

I can't speak to the dynamics.

Having the coolant lines exposed like that would concern me. (flying stones and whatnot, things that you couldn't avoid)

As for resale, If I saw that I would have reservations about the car. I may be bit more anal about broken parts not being fixed than some people. It shows lack of care to me.

That's just my opinion however. :P

I've had my 2004 Boxster S for about 4 months now, and just passed 45,000 miles two days ago... so today was the first time I put it up on a lift. (Only cost me $4 to rent a lift for an hour at the auto hobby shop at the local Navy base, which is just awesome!) I was less than delighted when I noticed my rear underbody panel was broken at one spot (circle) with a number of small cracks nearby. I was even less delighted to notice the other side of the panel was missing completely. I suspect a botched jack job, as there's other evidence of shoddy work at all the jack points, but there doesn't seem to be any damage besides to the panels. I've already replaced one underbody panel at a cost of $50, and this one is twice the size, and nowhere near as noticeable, so I doubt it will impact resale value. How important is it, though? Isn't it mainly for aerodynamic downforce at high speeds?

post-24850-1217647579_thumb.jpg

I replaced that same panel on my '03 986S; though it wasn't as damaged as yours, I figured it was from errant jacking. It is part no. 986.504.119.00 and runs about $100. Porsche calls it couple of things: a "cover" and a "steering shaft cover." My opinion, like those above, is that the underbody is no less important than the shiny side that faces up. --Brian

My logic for not hurting resale value is that it's unlikely anyone would notice this. I even knew about it from the mechanic's report, specifically looked for it, and didn't see it- it broke so cleanly, it looks it's supposed to be like that.

I suppose I have no recourse but to replace it :( Thanks for the part#!

Edit: $106 on Pelican Parts, and they're calling it a steering shaft cover... why would they call it that?

Edited by grover

... they're calling it a steering shaft cover... why would they call it that?

I never could figure that out. When I ordered it, my invoice said "steering shaft cover," so I questioned the parts manager, who just shrugged and said it was the right part number based on PET (which simply calls it a "cover, rear"). Anyway, when it showed up, sure enough it was correct. Curious, I looked at the PET listing of underbody parts for 996, 996TT, etc. because I thought maybe this cover was used up front on one of those chassis; but it wasn't. It could just be an error, maybe brought on in the German translation process--who knows? --Brian

:renntech:

Thanks, guys! I'd already drafted an email to Sunset Imports when I read this & just shot Jeff the email. Hopefully they can ship it to me for a better price than that. Shipping for a part like this isn't going to be cheap; I may end up having to just drive down to the dealer.

But I suppose it's little things like this that make it so expensive to own a Porsche, and I can look forward to much more in the future :(

Edited by grover

And while you are under there

Look at the two plastic scoops that are supposed to be there, one in front and one to the rear.

I'm afraid to ask, but what plastic scoops? There are two rubber scoops a little further back, one was coming loose on one side, but I worked it back into place.